Novella Outlining Help?

Forums Fiction Plotting Novella Outlining Help?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Quinn O’Fallon 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Cindy Green
    @cindy

*takes a deep breath* Story time, people. *flops facedown on the nearest surface* Guys, I need help. It’s the first day of NaNo, and I accidentally had to work 8 hours today. (Literally, I was asked to stay 3+ hours longer while I was counting down the last half-hour.) In the last week I’ve had to completely switch project ideas for NaNo. The project I had planned for months before was a novel, and now I’m going to write a novella. The thing is, I have no idea how to outline. Any and all advice is appreciated 🙂

Just an ENFJ poet who likes to watch the flowers grow.

SeekJustice
    @seekjustice

@cindy

Have you ever tried the Snowflake method? That’s what I and a friend used for NaNo outlining this year.

Crazy INFP, writer, dancer, musical fanatic.
    Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

NCStokes
    @ncstokes

@cindy I’d recommend starting with your main character. What do they want? What do they have to learn? How can you take away what they take for granted?

How about the antagonist? What do they want, and why can’t they and the main character both have what they want?

*shameless self promotion* https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Quinn O’Fallon
    @quinn-ofallon

@cindy Hi! I recently finished a novella and am working on another, so I figured I’d drop in to help. 🙂 What I do is I start with some brainstorming about my characters, setting, plot, etc. Once I have an idea of the shape of my story, I start figuring out my major plot points (characteristic moment, inciting event, push point, etc.). After that, I throw together an outline of 50 minor points–each point is usually an action, for example: “(main character) escapes to hideout in the woods” or something. I try to make sure each point will end up about 500 words long, for a total length of around 25,000 words. It usually doesn’t take very long to make this outline, so I get to writing as soon as possible.

Hope this helps some! Happy outlining!

WARNING: I'm a girl. Please don't think otherwise. 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest