fb

Nice to Meet You!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Nice to Meet You!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Coralie
    @corkybookworm

Howdy, y’all! My name is Coralie and I am super, crazy excited to be here! I had a little trouble getting my account set up cause my email decided to eat the StoryEmbers email, but the wonderful mods helped me get everything sorted out so here I am, at last!

I am from the US, a life-long reader, and aspiring writer. I’ve been writing intentionally for close to twelve years now. I’m a bit of an anti-socialite, a tad OCD, a grammar Nazi, and always full of ideas. I like backboarding ideas off of people and being a backboard for others.

I think community and support systems are incredibly important, and I am so thankful to be a part of this community with you guys. StoryEmbers has something really special here. I hope to grow beside you and make some lasting friendships. I can’t wait to get to know some of you awesome people!

GraceBought
    https://gracebought.wordpress.com/

Olivia Giordano
    @livgiordano

@corkybookworm Welcome! I love your name, by the way. I just so happen to have a future book with a main character named Coralie, and the name is so, so beautiful!

I can be a bit of a grammar Nazi as well. 😉

What kind of stuff do you like to write? Do you have any current WIPs? What are some of your favorite books?

Can’t wait to get to know you better! 🙂

ISFJ / Poet / Realistic Fiction / TCK
    https://livforhim.wordpress.com/

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@livgiordano Oh, wow! Thank you! I’ve never met another Coralie, so I think that’s super cool! What is your Coralie like? And what’s your story about?

I write mainly fantasy, but have written mysteries, and dabbled in some creative nonfiction as well. I love fairy tales too. I have a few WIPs, but that’s kind of a long story. Basically, I’ve worked on one particular story (CRR) for nearly 11 years (off and on). Well, in the last year or so, I realized my creative juices were bone dry. So, I pulled out my handy dandy notebook and decided to write something different, even if just a snippit. Well, I ended up writing like 8,000 words in a few hours. Needless to say, my writer’s block floodgates kind of burst open. So, from there I sort of started three or four other projects…but I’m now concentrating mainly on one about mermaids. I also joined a writing group on Goodreads that has really helped to challenge me and provide accountability and opportunities to continue writing.

As for favorite books, oh, there are so many! I love Ella Enchanted and The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine, Just Ella and Double Identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix, and The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. Oh, Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell! I’m a huge fan of Melanie Dickerson and Terri Blackstock. Her Restoration Series is amazing. I love Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, even to this day. Of course, classics such as the Chronicles of Narnia and The Screwtape Letters. Pride and Prejudice, The Giver and Gossamer by Lois Lowry, Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Recently, I’ve been reading a lot of indie authors that I’ve come to like. I’ve become obsessed with Melanie Cellier’s novels. And, one of my very favorites is New Birth by J.M. MacLeod.

My favorite creatures are mermaids and dragons. I love elves too. I am the oldest of five kids and a recent college graduate. I’m certified to teach instrumental music and English. I play primarily trumpet and euphonium. I love the colors of the sunset, I am mesmerized by thunderstorms, and adore waterfalls. I am horrible at spelling and geography. I used to loathe history, but have come to love it. I have moved so often it makes my head spin, so I have a difficult time ever feeling really at home.

What about you? What do you enjoy writing and reading? What are some random facts about you? And how do you put the smiley faces into the thread?!

GraceBought

Linyang Zhang
    @devastate-lasting

@corkybookworm Hi Coralie! YOU PUT SMILEY FACES BY PUTTING A COLON OR A SEMICOLON AND THEN A LITTLE THING ON THE ZERO KEY THAT I DON’T KNOW WHAT IT’S CALLED.

Oh no…I hit the caps lock…

I still don’t know how to do turtles, though. @daeus

If I say that I know you, will you be too creeped out to ever talk to me again?

If I told you that i stalk you on Pinterest…never mind.

*coughs awkwardly*

*inwardly crying*

Anyway, I’ll not come bother you any longer…if you can tell me who i am in three tries, I’ll do whatever you want. Though, it should be pretty easy.

"I set a melody upon the scenery I saw outside my window;
    It's beginning in my spacy world."
    - TK

Olivia Giordano
    @livgiordano

@corkybookworm Haha yes! I had never heard the name Coralie until I was looking up random names, and when I came across it, I immediately fell in love, and it fits my character so well. Coralie is very independent, sweet, charming, likes to get her own way, and very much reminds of a wild bird. She really values her freedom (which really comes into play in the story).

Here’s a synopsis:

Coralie grew up as the adopted daughter of a midwife, because her real parents rejected her. A strong sense of independence and freedom permeates her life, and she longs to stay who she is forever – just a simple girl doing what she loves – midwifery, and spending time with a band of warriors with the same values as her – equality and justice. But with age comes talk of an arranged marriage, and her girlhood is quickly coming to an end.

When Nathan joined the band – he believed in everything it stood for. Freedom. Equality. The rights of the people. As a former noble, he knew what it was like to be a tyrant – and he hated it. Joining the group was his chance to escape, but now, he is starting to question whether the twisted views of his best friends are worth fighting for. In the name of justice, he is forced to mistreat the ones he sought out to save.

The two, both vying for control, seek out the truth. They question whether life is really worth living when all that they have is taken from them, and are forced to come to terms with who they really are.

I love fantasy!! I tried writing it, but realized it wasn’t for me. So now, I’m more focusing on realistic fiction, which is basically fantasy without the magic. A realistic world, but totally made up.

Wow. 11 years is a long time! It’s barely been a year since I’ve started writing seriously, so good job having stuck with it for so long. And that’s amazing that once you started on something else, the inspiration totally just started going crazy. That is seriously awesome. And I have to agree, that when you work on one project for so long, it’ll get like that. Breaks are absolutely necessary, as well as moving onto something else.

Your book list sounds wonderful. I’ve heard of most of those books, but I’ve only read a few of the ones you mentioned. There are some that I’ve heard so much about at this point, that I absolutely need to read now, like The Giver.

Dragons are awesome. In one of my WIPs, they play a very major role. And mermaids…while I haven’t really explored them much, seem like they could be fascinating. Elves are also great, and I love them because of J.R.R. Tolkien’s works. I haven’t really read much by other authors where elves are well-done.

*high fives* I’m also the oldest of five kids! That’s totally awesome. I’m a junior in high school, almost done for the year. So you’re into music. That’s great. I play piano, and also teach it, but I’m probably only at an intermediate level.

I’m starting to dabble in poetry somewhat, as you’ve probably discovered through my blog. And as I already sorta said, realistic fiction is totally my genre. Ever since I discovered it I have been totally in love. That’s what my novel with Coralie in it is gonna be in, and the title of that book is The Potter’s Hands.

I love reading fantasy for sure. Classics like The Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings are awesome, and I’ll totally geek out over those any day. The Ilyon Chronicles are so, so good, and I love all of Chuck Black’s books. I love the Green Ember books, even though they’re supposed to be for middle grade, they are so well done that it’s impossible not to love them, even if they are all about rabbits. I love The Witch of Blackbird Pond and The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare. A Tale of Two Cities is really awesome as well. But a ton of my favorite books are yet unpublished, that I’ve had the honor of alpha/beta reading for fellow writers.

Have you by chance heard of YWW? I’ve gotten to meet a ton of awesome writers on there, and have built amazing relationships with them through there.

I only know how to put two smiley faces. You can do the colon key and then the end of bracket one, which looks like a sideways smiley face. When you hit publish, it will turn into a normal smiley face. If you want one that’s winking, do a semicolon instead. 🙂

I have long blonde hair that is past my hips. I’m a third culture kid, and have lived in Mexico for a few years of my life. Because of that, I can speak somewhat fluent Spanish. I’m a total Lord of the Rings geek. One of my dreams is to become a midwife. I really want to get married young and have a bunch of kids. I’m introverted, but can be quite sociable, especially online. 😉 (As you’ve probably already discovered.) I’m allergic to gluten and dairy. And…I love Pilates.

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@devastate-lasting Ooh, sounds awfully Rumpelstiltskin of you! 🙂 (Did that work? Oh, well, guess we’ll see!)

Okay, Ima guess and probably fall flat on my face: are you Dodger?

GraceBought

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@livgiordano Wow, that sounds really intricate! Ha, it is so weird reading about a character with your name! Gosh, I wonder if everyone feels like this when they read stories with their names!

Yeah, 11 years sounds like a long time. It seems like just yesterday that I really started. But to be perfectly honest, it’s not like I’ve been writing every minute of every year. In fact, I studied in college for six of those years and that took away quite a bit of time. Though, there were periods during school that I made a point to write and I think it was really a time of growth for me.

OH MY GOODNESS! Okay, I LOVE The Giver. It is such a classic. Actually, I’m pretty sure it’s the book that started the modern dystopian genre. At the very least, it was a very heavily influential book in the genre. Fun fact, I um read The Messenger first (which is book three in the series), but I didn’t realize it was part of a series. Whoops. They are each relatively unrelated stories, so I was still good.

Hey, that’s so cool! Yeah, I have three brothers and one sister. The youngest is turning six this month, so there’s a wide range in our family.

You dabble in poetry?! *gapes* From the little I’ve read, I’ve been very impressed by it! I’ve kind of done a little bit of creative nonfiction and realistic fiction, but it kind of feels foreign to me cause I’ve always focused so heavily on fantasy and fairy tales. By the way, gorgeous title!

I’ve never heard of the Ilyon Chronicles before, but they sound interesting just from the title! Oh! I loved the Witch of Blackbird Pond! And, oh what was that called…The River Between Us? Gosh, I read those a bazillion years ago. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of the Green Ember books either. Or Chuck Black. Man, Ima need to get on that! Oh, I know how that goes! I like beta reading a lot, but it’s agony waiting for the publishing process! I’ve only ever beta read one series that has been published, but it’s one of my all time favorites!

No, I have not, but I’ve seen it come up over and over here. I think I’ll have to check that out for sure!

Pilates as in…like, oh, no, sorry I was thinking of planks! I was like, you like planks! Ha. XD Wow! That’s really cool! I love Spanish. I’ve taken several years of it, almost majored in it, and haven’t used it in like three years. So, I’m losing it fast. I’ve never lived abroad, but I have studied abroad and plan to go back one day just to vacation. I’m definitely an introvert! But, I’ve met two of my very closest friends online. I think it’s sometimes easier to make friends online (as long as your careful, of course) because you can find communities with shared interests.

GraceBought

Olivia Giordano
    @livgiordano

@corkybookworm Lol I bet that would be pretty strange. When I read books with Olivias (every once in a while) it doesn’t seem that strange tho, but probably because Olivia is a more common name. But it was so fun, because I was in a Shakespeare class where one of the MCs is named Olivia. We all chose a character and would read aloud their lines, so I tried getting Olivia’s, which was really fun. XD

That makes sense with your writing. It hasn’t been a full eleven years, because of breaks. But you need those breaks. There will be seasons where you have to set writing to the side for a little while, especially with college.

Okay wow, now I NEED to read the Giver.

I have two brothers and two sisters. My youngest sister is six, and I’m sixteen. So we’re almost ten years apart.

Haha thanks.  I guess why I say I dabble in it, is because it’s not really something I take all that seriously. I write it when I have inspiration, and that’s it.

YWW is awesome. You should totally check it out.

Lol well…yes, planks is a part of Pilates. I like Pilates as a whole, and the planks can be tough sometimes, but I get through them. What I most enjoy is the leg exercises, like squats, or ones that you laying on your mat.

It’s definitely much easier to learn a foreign language being immersed in a country where it’s spoken. Sadly, I’m starting to lose a little bit of my Spanish, and we only left in November of last year.

Exactly. Making friends online is awesome, but you still need to be extremely careful of how it’s done, because you can’t trust just anyone. I have many good friends, who I’ve never actually met in person. It can be totally amazing.

Linyang Zhang
    @devastate-lasting

@corkybookworm *bows and tips hat* You have guessed right, my lady. I am now obliged to do anything you want.

- TK

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@livgiordano Yeah, the breaks have definitely been necessary, and my life is kind of in a transition phase now, so I’m all over the place, but I am really excited about writing again, which is honestly a relief compared to the frustration and incessant tugging of bangs.

Yes! Read and enjoy and share your merriment so I can relive it vicariously through you! *rubs hands together menacingly* Fresh meat! *laughs hysterically* Um…*cough*…I mean…

Heh, there are more years between me and my youngest brother than there are between me and my mom…So, my mom was seventeen when she had me and I was eighteen when she had my youngest brother. O.o We’re spread out. Hah! She had one kid in college, one in high school, one in middle, one in elementary, and one in diapers all at the same time. No joke!

My poetry has always been a release of pent up emotions. So, it’s chaotic at best. But yours is beautiful and I think it’s really special the way you approach it.

Will do! May not be anytime soon, but I’ve bookmarked the page cause I am definitely curious.

That’s what I’ve been told! I would love to visit Spain one day. I had Spanish teachers who learned in Uganda, Spain, and…hmm, I think my college professors learned somewhere in south or central America, but I’m not sure where exactly.

I have been fortunate enough to meet both of my closest friends in person. One day, they’ll be in my wedding. I don’t know where I’d be without them. <3

GraceBought

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@devastate-lasting DODGER!!! 😀 Hi!

Ooh, can you spin straw into gold?

GraceBought

Linyang Zhang
    @devastate-lasting

Sadly, I can’t. I can’t even spin regular thread. Name something else. 🙂

- TK

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@devastate-lasting Ha ha, well in that case, show me your best happy dance!

GraceBought

Linyang Zhang
    @devastate-lasting

*deep breath*

*takes a step*

*trips and falls*

*gets up*

*looks around*

*insert best attempt here*

- TK

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@devastate-lasting Haha! Love it!

GraceBought

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.