Need Help Coming Up With Titles?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Need Help Coming Up With Titles?

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Michaela
    @mgtask

Hey Everyone!

I’m in one of those creative moods where I feel like brainstorming some titles. If you’re struggling with coming up with a book/chapter title, I’d be glad to help you out! Anyone else can chime in, of course – I’m curious to see your ideas!

"May it be mercy I show for it is mercy I've been shown." - Written to Speak

Zachary Holbrook
      @toklaham-veruzia

Huh. I’ve never had a hard time coming up with titles– often a title is the first thing I dream up when brainstorming a story.

おはいよう. 日本語は好きです .

Michaela
      @mgtask

I’ve done that before, too.

Naiya Dyani
        @naiya-dyani

@mgtask Hey, I could use some help! XD I’m writing a short story about one of the characters in my WIP and can’t come up with a gripping title that feels right. In it, four different people (animals too, actually) look at him in different or similar ways that make an impact on him. . . that actually sounds really weird written out, but I promise it makes sense in the story! I hope. . . XP But anyway, I wanted the title to have something to do with that, but can’t come up with anything good. So if you have ideas, I would greatly appreciate them!

(And let me know of none of that rambling made any sense lolol)

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Naiya Dyani.

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Michaela
          @mgtask

@naiya-dyani

Hi Naiya! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. That’s a neat idea! Would you mind giving a little more detail into the story? Are there any analogies or aesthetics that you incorporate? They might provide some title-inspiration.

Naiya Dyani
            @naiya-dyani

@mgtask

Heh, yeah, that was super vague. XD It’s about a ten-year-old boy growing up in a tribe that is cruel to others. He ends up slowly deciding that he needs to be different from his tribe over the course of the story. It starts with him looking into the eyes of a deer he’s about to kill on a hunting trip and suddenly having a hard time doing it, then later meeting the eyes of a scared captive boy. A little later, some other kids are stoning a cat and pressure him into joining, and he looks into the cat’s eyes as well as those of another boy that’s subtly threatening him into conforming. All those different looks they gave him push him one way or another until he finally (nervously) decides to be different.

Does that help? Could you use more?

Thank you so much! 😀

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Michaela
              @mgtask

@naiya-dyani

Here are some ideas (don’t expect much, XD):

When I look in their eyes/The Plea In Their Eyes

Faces That Changed Me

Hunting Injustice

Facets of Mercy (the looks that they give him show different aspects/facets of morality)

The Lengths We Go (double meaning: the lengths the tribe goes to achieve their goal and the lengths that the boy goes to follow his convictions)

Maybe you could incorporate the tribe’s name into the story.

Hope that helps to give you some ideas 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Michaela.

PenSword
                @pensword

All of my stories pretty much go for years without titles… What kind of information do you want/need?

Naiya Dyani
                @naiya-dyani

@mgtask Ooh, the second one might work! Thanks!

Michaela
                  @mgtask

@naiya-dyani You’re welcome! Sounds like a good story 🙂

Michaela
                    @mgtask

@pensword

Anything concerning the overarching plot, theme and/or aesthetic of the story. Maybe even something the character likes & what they learn from it (if that makes sense).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest