fb

Need for help!

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Need for help!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

Okay, I’m writing a short story, I have 16 days, 2000 words and under. I’m trying to get a theme into the story.

Help?

*Forum Signature here*

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Hey @thewirelessblade!

A theme. Hmm. Let’s see. Is there any kind of theme/topic that comes to mind as one that you’ve been pondering a lot lately? Or maybe one that you feel passionate about?

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

@evelyn

The theme I picked was respecting parents.

*Forum Signature here*

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@thewirelessblade Cool! So do you already have a story line? And characters?

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

Yup.

*Forum Signature here*

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@thewirelessblade So I’m a bit confused on what you are asking for help on…

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

How to weave a theme into a story.

*Forum Signature here*

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@thewirelessblade Oh okay! Gotcha. 🙂

I have had trouble with that too, but here are a few resources that have helped me:

How To Subtly Deliver a Powerful Message in Your Story

How To Use Themes to Create A Fantastic Storyline

And then finally I watched a really good webinar on Foil Characters the other day by Josiah DeGraaf… @josiah are we allowed to share the playback link?

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

@evelyn @thewirelessblade Yes–the playback is only accessible to people who register, but you’re welcome to register now at https://josiahdegraaf.com/theme-webinar/ to immediately access the replay. 🙂 It’s only going to be up through Thursday at midnight, though.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

I tend to find the theme in my characters–specifically, in their relationships with one another and their motivations.

Take my current project for instance: it doesn’t have a super dramatic theme at all. It’s a fairy tale retelling of Aladdin, but instead of having an important romantic relationship, the story focuses on the love between siblings–what makes up a strong relationship, what happens when that relationship fractures, and what it takes to piece it together again.

My point is, theme can be found in anything, but the pieces of your story, including characters and plot, can help you connect the dots.

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@josiah Haha! Okay. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.