fb

Need a name for a theoretical product

Forums Group Forums Sci-fi Writers Need a name for a theoretical product

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Edmund Lloyd Fletcher
    @edmund-lloyd-fletcher

Okay, so I’m working on a sci-fi story set in deep space.  At one point the main character is fascinated by an antique guitar that is “made of actual wood from an actual plant – imagine that!” and I really liked that.

The trouble was I had other things made of wood all around the story, which is a huge plot hole.

I was hung up on that for a long time.  Then today I was like, “duh!” I can just make it a synthetic/fake product – maybe like genetically engineered, vat grown, or something like that.

Now I need to figure that out as well as a cool name for this product.  I was wondering if you can help me think of ideas?

Homeschooling father of 10, writing Christian action/adventure novels from my home high in the Rockies.

Winter Rose
    @winter_rose

@edmund-lloyd-fletcher

Synth-wood, falsewood, lab-wood, imitation wood, fauxwood, bio-planking

Skog: Swedish for wood

Lemn: Romanian for wood

~There’s actually a thing called pseudowood that is sort of like artificial wood. But it is made up of wood scraps, and not completely synthetic materials. Plywood is a type of pseudowood.

~One type of man-made wood, which is composed of a chemical similar to that of natural wood, is resistant to fire and acid. In a technologically advanced society, fire-proof wood would probably be a common material.

~You can have artificial wood that is made from wood-derived cellulose combined with synthetic materials.

~GMT (genetically modified tree)

I hope you find some of this useful!

“…I’m not the same person that I was…”
    “Some folks only grow more beautiful.”

Edmund Lloyd Fletcher
    @edmund-lloyd-fletcher

Yeah, a lot of those existing fake woods don’t  really work much better because the people are in deep space and wouldn’t have the wood scraps to start with.  I really liked “bio-planking” though!  Sounds like something lab-grown in a vat somewhere, which is totally the kind of thing I was going for.

Thanks for your help!

Homeschooling father of 10, writing Christian action/adventure novels from my home high in the Rockies.

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

Hey, I work construction and we have a luxury vinyl plank or LVP with looks like wood but is made of plastic. What we use is thin and reasonably easy to cut but can fully mimic wood flooring. Perhaps this is what you are looking for.

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Edmund Lloyd Fletcher
    @edmund-lloyd-fletcher

@rusted-knight Yeah, realistically, that sounds like something they would have.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest