fb

NaNoWriMo discussion

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions NaNoWriMo discussion

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

*peeks in late per usual*

Rose on the other hand, says she is able to write 1500-2000 an hour on a good day

… *smirk*
    HEH?!!? *whirls on Rose* WHY MUST I HEAR THIS FROM ANOTHER?!?!?!
    LOL, btw she ALSO wrote 15412 words in a week AND finished her first draft AND is revising her first book WHILE drafting the second book in that series WHILE plotting the third WHILE drawing gorgeous art AND learning medieval hand-to-hand and sword fighting stuff!!!!!
    *whistles happily and walks away until someone comes to ask if I know any more of her accomplishments which, I do :DDDD*

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

You must, and now I shall tout her praises all the more.

Thank you 🙂

@this-is-not-an-alien

LOL, btw she ALSO wrote 15412 words in a week AND finished her first draft AND is revising her first book WHILE drafting the second book in that series WHILE plotting the third WHILE drawing gorgeous art AND learning medieval hand-to-hand and sword fighting stuff!!!!!
    *whistles happily and walks away until someone comes to ask if I know any more of her accomplishments which, I do :DDDD*

Thank you, y’all are so sweet 🙂 <3

LOL, am I really working on that many things at once?? XD It actually works really well because I can work on something to procrastinate on something else so I actually get stuff done XD Also, that 15k in one week was a once-off XD I’ve been floundering with word counts as low as 1000 words a week so… we all have our ups and downs and I’m in a down XD

I’m really looking forward to hopefully doing NaNo so I can get that first book revised and move on!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@this-is-not-an-alien

Wait, she’s doing what? Medieval hand to hand sword stuff?

@rose-colored-fancy

What is Cathy talking about? I need to here this. Medieval combat is on my list. xD

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

LOL, I knew you were going to ask about it XD

“Medieval hand-to-hand and sword stuff” is more officially referred to as HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) I recently found a HEMA club nearby and joined because… swords!! Obviously!!

HEMA is a martial art that is essentially a reconstruction of medieval techniques, based on the medieval manuals they’ve found. It includes all weapons and disciplines, but my club mainly does longsword, wrestling, and daggers. (mostly according to the German masters, but there are some Italian sources in there too.)

It is, without a doubt, one of the most fun things I’ve ever done. I’ve had three lessons so far and learned heaps that I’m definitely going to use in my book.

I haven’t practiced with daggers yet, but I’ve practiced with the longsword, which is one of the coolest things in existence. It was a plastic one, nobody was stupid enough to give me a steel one, though blunt steel swords (known as feders) are used by the more experienced people. When you’re wearing a mask and a gambeson and gloves and all kinds of other gear. With the plastic swords, we do have to wear masks and gloves, because you get hit. A lot.

(Fun fact to be used in some novel, there are several ways that you can literally yank someone’s sword from their hands without them being able to do much about it.)

And wrestling was also splendid fun, though it was harder for me since 90% of people were bigger/heavier than me XD

Anyway, there are lots of HEMA clubs in America, so I think you might be able to find something if that’s something you’re interested in! (I mean… there are swords. What more do you want? XD)

I’d be happy to talk more about it if you have any questions! (I’m just looking for an excuse to talk excitedly about it XD) I know like… three things but I’d be happy to share them XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

Okay, you just stirred up an unreasonable amount of jealousy in me. xD I definitely need to try that someday. Learning basic medieval combat has always been on my lists of things I really want to do.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Same, it’s always been a dream of mine so you can imagine how delighted I was 🙂 I totally recommend looking into it, it’s really awesome.

I was planning on joining NaNoWriMo this year, but I changed my mind and I’m not planning on it anymore do to some different life stuff I need to focus on. Which sadly means not spending as much time on side things, like writing. I’ll still write, but I’m not sure how much I’ll be doing in the next little while.

But in answer to your un-asked question, 😉 haha, the next Crazy Writing Week is in the beginning of January. You should get an email about it ahead of time if you participated in a previous one, but I can also maybe make a post about it when that time of year rolls around. If I remember…

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@olivia

I was planning on joining NaNoWriMo this year, but I changed my mind and I’m not planning on it anymore do to some different life stuff I need to focus on.

That’s alright, I totally understand. Life gets in the way of writing sometimes 🙁

But in answer to your un-asked question,   haha, the next Crazy Writing Week is in the beginning of January. You should get an email about it ahead of time if you participated in a previous one, but I can also maybe make a post about it when that time of year rolls around.

Oh, thank you! I was afraid I’d miss it! That would be awesome, to have NaNo in November and CWW in January. (I’m hopefully going to get some writing done XD)

@rose-colored-fancy

It does, though if we’re being truly fair, we wouldn’t have stories to write if it wasn’t for life. 😉 But ya, I get what you mean. It’s okay though, because I’m a little worn out right now and need a bit of a break anyway, so needing to pause writing right now is actually good for me.

You’re welcome! 🙂 It’s always nice to have those writing events to keep you motivated.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@olivia

It does, though if we’re being truly fair, we wouldn’t have stories to write if it wasn’t for life.   But ya, I get what you mean. It’s okay though, because I’m a little worn out right now and need a bit of a break anyway, so needing to pause writing right now is actually good for me.

Taking breaks is essential, and I hope you have a great one 🙂

You’re welcome!   It’s always nice to have those writing events to keep you motivated.

It does, I was a little scared to participate at first because I thought it would be too hard, but I’m glad I did, since it’s really the best way for me to stay productive!

@rose-colored-fancy

It certainly is, and thank you. 🙂

Well good for you for stepping out and trying. Sometimes that’s not always easy, but while it doesn’t always turn out well, when it does it’s well worth the uncertainty at first.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest