fb

NaNoWriMo discussion

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions NaNoWriMo discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Hello! For once in my life, I’m early to something! XD

During the summer, I participated in Crazy Writing Week, and it helped me more than I ever thought possible. Prior to starting, I was suffering from a lack of motivation and general stuck-ness, even though I was on the home stretch of my first draft. Afterward, I had enough momentum that I finished in record time.

And now I find myself in motivation-drought once more. I have no idea when the next CWW is, but I suspect not until January or later. Yet, Preptober starts in a few days and NaNoWriMo is on the horizon.

I found that the motivation and accountability from writing with others helps me a lot, so I was considering participating this year. I never have before, I was always intimidated by the high word count and commitment.

But I also discovered I cannot function on my own deadlines and need some external motivation. (I know exactly how much of a pushover I am, so that goes nowhere) Besides, I won’t know if I can do it until I try, and the worst thing that can happen is that I get an average amount of writing done XD

I’ll kinda be cheating since I’ll be rewriting and I already have everything planned out and made a start on it. Still, I have more than 50k to write XD

Anyway, to get to the point, has anyone participated in NaNoWriMo before? Are you planning to participate this year? Does anyone have suggestions of where I could find a Christian community for it? I really enjoyed the community aspect of CWW, but I don’t feel comfortable on a non-christian forum, like the official one. (If enough people are planning to participate, we could theoretically do it on the forum. 😉 )

And tagging a bunch of people:

@wingiby-iggiby

@this-is-not-an-alien

@noah-cochran

@calidris

@irishcelticredflowercrown

@joy-caroline

@mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

@anyone and everyone!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

I’d be happy to participate in a SE NaNo group, whether on or off site! I also find group writing encouraging. The accountability is powerful. I’m afraid I can’t really answer your question of where to find a specifically Christian NaNo group off this site, though.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

I participated in NaNoWriMo from 2015 up until this past year, and I participated on the official site from 2016 onward, I believe. I found it quite helpful for most of those years (there were some years I participated and probably should have skipped due to where I was with certain projects). I don’t plan to participate this year due to a difference in what stage of the writing process I’m in right now, and I deleted my official account due to the worldview promoted by the organization, but I do think that the challenge itself can still be valuable if it suits the writing stage you’re in! It does definitely help to have outside accountability and a concrete goal to shoot for.

If you have Discord and you’re in your teens or 20s, there are a couple of Discord servers (one for teens, one for 20s) that sprung out of a Christian teens thread on the NaNoWriMo site. I’ve been part of that group for years, it’s a great group of people, and we love encouraging each other and helping keep each other accountable both in writing and in general.

Starting a thread on here would also be a great idea! I think we’ve done that in previous years and it’s been a lot of fun. 🙂

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

So here’s the deal…xD

As you know, I’ve been writing since July, so I haven’t participated in NaNoWriMo, but ever since I heard about it, I had been planning on it participating. Then August came, and I wrote over 60k words, and I was like “wow, challenge accomplished earlier than expected.” xD So then I thought, “well, that was when I had no school going on, so NaNoWriMo will still be a challenge.” But then I wrote another 50k words, and am more than half way done with my book. By November, I’ll probably have no more than 20k left to write. So you see my dilemma.

However…I do plan to do my first round of heavy editing  in November, so I will be adjusting and writing words from that. Getting to 50k from that though, is highly unlikely. xD

However…I’ll still participate in this thread and hold a certain “Rose” accountable to her goals if she would like me to. 😉

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

*still doesn’t even know what NaNoWriMo is* Erm… I would be interested, but I should probably know what I’m getting into before I dive headlong into it, for once. XD Help?

"For love is strong as death." -God

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@joelle-stone NaNoWriMo is a challenge to write 50,000 words of a single project in 30 days (the month of November). At least traditionally. Some people use the month to achieve other writing goals. But it was created as a way to help people finish novels. 🙂

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@r-m-archer

Woah. 0_0 50,000 words in THIRTY DAYS!?!?! *stares* This I must see.

Is it a safe website?

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@joelle-stone

It’s a very secular website. The dashboard and everything is fine. The forums are generally friendly enough. But I’m no longer on it because the owners vocally support a lot of stuff that I don’t agree with, and they do so with NaNoWriMo (a practice which I have problems with in and of itself, but that’s its own topic). So it’s “safe” as far as you aren’t likely to run into a lot of language or anything explicit in the all-ages forums, and there is still a great Christian teens community on there, but it depends on how much the worldview of the organization means to you. I compiled a list of alternatives… last year? If you don’t want to join the official NaNo site and you want to look over the list. But I’d suggest doing your own research (just a quick skim of NaNoWriMo’s social media and maybe some of their “about” pages on the website should give you a good idea of their values), too, and decide on NaNoWriMo yourself; my reasons for avoiding it won’t necessarily match your thoughts on it.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@r-m-archer

Thanks for your input, that helps a lot! I’ve heard about the NaNo official website’s worldviews, and I’m definitely wary about it, as I am with most non-christian forums.

Thanks for mentioning the discord servers! I don’t have discord, but it may be an option!

However, it seems enough people are interested that we could have it on SE, so we could probably make that work, it would be fun!

@joelle-stone

Woah. 0_0 50,000 words in THIRTY DAYS!?!?! *stares* This I must see.

LOL, it’s basically a novel speedrun XD The good thing is that it forces you to keep going, so you get stuff finished before you’re tired or stuck. (That happens to me a lot XD)

As far as I could see, the difference between NaNo and CWW is that you don’t post sprints, only your daily word count, and it’s missing the competitive element since it’s just you vs your goal. Still, it’s similar in that you’re group writing and the goal is to get as much writing done as possible.

If 50k sounds overwhelming, you can always set a lower goal, like 30k or even less. 50k is just the traditional amount 🙂 I’m going to be trying for that because based on previous records, I could possibly manage it, but any amount is awesome!

@taylorclogston

Thanks for planning to join! That’s awesome 🙂

@noah-cochran

By November, I’ll probably have no more than 20k left to write. So you see my dilemma.

Count me as extremely impressed! That’s amazing, you’ve been so productive! What’s your current word count and what’s your goal?

However…I do plan to do my first round of heavy editing  in November, so I will be adjusting and writing words from that. Getting to 50k from that though, is highly unlikely. xD

That’s awesome, totally let me know if you need any help/advice for the first round of revisions, because that’s what I’m working on now, and I definitely discovered some stuff 🙂

However…I’ll still participate in this thread and hold a certain “Rose” accountable to her goals if she would like me to.

Thanks, I’ll be counting on it 🙂

Man, I’m already getting excited 🙂 It might motivate me to finally finish that 6k chapter I’ve been horribly stuck on XD (In my defense, it wasn’t supposed to be that long XD)

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

Count me as extremely impressed! That’s amazing, you’ve been so productive! What’s your current word count and what’s your goal?

Thanks for the encouragement. 🙂 I think I’m around 130k in my novel, and the final product will probably be 160k-180k. Editing will probably get rid of some of that though. When I first started writing, my goal was to write a long, epicish feeling stand alone novel, so I made a goal of 150k-200k before I started writing, so it’s turning out about right.

That’s awesome, totally let me know if you need any help/advice for the first round of revisions, because that’s what I’m working on now, and I definitely discovered some stuff

That’s exactly what I need. Hit me. 🙂

Man, I’m already getting excited 🙂 It might motivate me to finally finish that 6k chapter I’ve been horribly stuck on XD (In my defense, it wasn’t supposed to be that long XD)

I know that feeling. xD I was just on a a chapter that seemed to never end, I think it ended at 6.3k words.

@joelle-stone

You must do a good job regulating your internet intake if you haven’t heard of NaNoWriMo. So good for you. 😄 If you put it in proportion, 50k isn’t terribly hard (now if you have loads of school going on it’s a different story xD). If you do  2k words a day, 6 days a week, you’ll get more than 50k. Depeninding on your writing speed, that could be easy, or not so easy. It takes me at least three hours to write 2k. Rose on the other hand, says she is able to write 1500-2000 an hour on a good day, so I guess my advice is, get some tips from Rose. xD

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Thanks for the encouragement.   I think I’m around 130k in my novel, and the final product will probably be 160k-180k. Editing will probably get rid of some of that though. When I first started writing, my goal was to write a long, epicish feeling stand alone novel, so I made a goal of 150k-200k before I started writing, so it’s turning out about right.

That’s impressive! That’s a nice length, basically a duology with one story arc. That’s pretty cool!

That’s exactly what I need. Hit me.

I’ll start a new topic for it! (I have a bad habit of going on tangents and getting severely off-topic, so I’m trying to prevent that from happening XD)

I know that feeling. xD I was just on a a chapter that seemed to never end, I think it ended at 6.3k words.

Exactly. I’m at the same word count, but I think I’m very nearly finished. (Hopefully. I think. XD)

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@r-m-archer,

Thanks!!

@rose-colored-fancy

Ooh, competition makes it easy to stay motivated. 😛

If 50k sounds overwhelming, you can always set a lower goal, like 30k or even less.

Oh, good. *wipes forehead* November’s usually a pretty busy month what with school and Thanksgiving and other stuff going on. 😛

@noah-cochran

You must do a good job regulating your internet intake if you haven’t heard of NaNoWriMo. So good for you.

Eh. *shrugs* I’ve heard the name tossed around, but I’ve never bothered to look into it or ask about it before. So… *shrugs again*

If you do  2k words a day, 6 days a week, you’ll get more than 50k. Depeninding on your writing speed, that could be easy, or not so easy.

Oh, true!!

Rose on the other hand, says she is able to write 1500-2000 an hour on a good day

HEH?!!? *whirls on Rose* WHY MUST I HEAR THIS FROM ANOTHER?!?!?!

so I guess my advice is, get some tips from Rose. xD

XD I shall!! Thanks for the comment! 😉

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joelle-stone

Oh, good. *wipes forehead* November’s usually a pretty busy month what with school and Thanksgiving and other stuff going on.

Same! It’s kinda a weird time of the year to have it but… *shrugs* I’m going to try to make it work!

*Laughs sheepishly* In my defense, I didn’t think this was unusually fast until Noah started a thread about it and I compared it to others XD

Umm, I don’t know, I kinda do it? Well, my dad insisted I learn to touch-type so I type almost as fast as I think XD That definitely helps!

And, OH, I learned a brilliant tip from @this-is-not-an-alien !!

She taught me to go into each chapter and write down everything I have planned out in my head, like an outline, and then flesh that out until I have a clear image of how the chapter will go before I write it out.

It’s helped me write so much faster because it means I have my mental outline written down already.

And if you don’t feel like writing you can just write a quick outline and that might get you excited about it!

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@rose-colored-fancy,

Ooohhhh, I loved those tips!! Thanks!

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@joelle-stone

You must, and now I shall tout her praises all the more. 😉

@rose-colored-fancy

And, OH, I learned a brilliant tip from @this-is-not-an-alien !!

She taught me to go into each chapter and write down everything I have planned out in my head, like an outline, and then flesh that out until I have a clear image of how the chapter will go before I write it out.

That’s a great tip. My chapter by chapter outline makes it so that I don’t have to do that much, but I end up doing it once in a while. I should probably do it more, because my writing speed as actually been dropping. xD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest