fb

NaNoWriMo 2021

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions NaNoWriMo 2021

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    claire
    @claire-h

@everyone… Sorry I haven’t been checking in! Sounds like you all are doing great! Keep up the awesome work. 😀 I’ve been doing a lot of outlining, researching, and planning for a devotional. Yes, my WIP changed. As of right now, I have about 3,000 words written and I’ve been able to write 5 devotionals. The theme is “Cultivating the Garden of Your Soul”.

a flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it.
    it just blooms.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

Think about it this way. When you’re reading a book, do you count how many sentences start with the same word? It doesn’t matter that much, especially not for readability. If it’s a serious readability issue that pulls me out of the book, I’ll give you feedback on it, otherwise, don’t worry if a few sentences are stilted.

That’s encouraging to hear, but I’m quite certain mine needs a good deal of work. It’ll get better the longer I write (hopefully).

Really, it’s better than you think

One can hope. 🙂

I’ve found that handing off a manuscript to someone else to read is positively terrifying. At least to me. It’s really scary and I know it made me panic a little. So I’ll repeat, it’s better than you think, have courage

For me, handing over drafts has always felt like… hold on a sec.

That is a great pic. xD I love it.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@claire-h

That’s awesome! Good for you!

@noah-cochran

That’s encouraging to hear, but I’m quite certain mine needs a good deal of work. It’ll get better the longer I write (hopefully).

It totally will! I recently had my (line-edited) first draft and rewritten second draft next to each other and let me tell you, it was barely recognizable, even though it was the same scene. Why did I have such a thing for unnecessary information and fragment sentences? And whyyyy did I put like two verbs per sentence when I couldn’t pick? It honestly gives me a laugh whenever I read it XD

That is a great pic. xD I love it.

LOL, I think about it every time I need to send in schoolwork for feedback XD

____

I wrote about 500 words today. I have nothing to say in my defense except that it’s monday.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

I wrote 2488 words yesterday. If everything goes according to plan (which it probably won’t) I should finish today or tomorrow. I have just over one chapter left to write. I can’t wait until this is over XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

I wrote 600-something words yesterday and 1877 words today and I’m DONE!!! I finished my manuscript!

Total word count NaNo: 42 875 words.

Total word count manuscript: 91070 words.

That’s 20k words longer than my first draft. I’m so glad it’s done, NaNo is even harder than I initially thought. Not so much the wordcount but doing it every. day. for a month. I’m still glad I did it, I finished half my manuscript in a month.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

Congrats!

What’s your plan for  the manuscript it after this? Are you going to do another large draft? Or just a polish?

I just want to say once again that I am AWFUL at revision/second drafts/polishing. I finished my so-called ‘revision’ yesterday, and it was pretty much “fix misspelled words and rewrite the occasional sentence” by the time I was done with it.

Oh, wait, silver lining, one of my side-characters’ hair changed colors and I fixed that. Sweet.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Thanks!

What’s your plan for  the manuscript it after this? Are you going to do another large draft? Or just a polish?

Well, I’m sending it to a beta-reader, and after I get the feedback I’m going to apply it (It’ll probably be a pretty big revision, a couple plot threads, scenes, characters etc.)

Then I’ll send it to two more beta-readers (I was thinking about asking you if you’re up for that round, but it’s at least a year away, so don’t worry about it any time soon) and that’ll probably be scene-level revisions, recasting some stuff etc.

Then I’ll probably line-edit and then it’s… done. Wow. That seems too close. It’ll take me more than a year though and I have to repeat that with the other two books too so I won’t be done with this any time soon XD

I just want to say once again that I am AWFUL at revision/second drafts/polishing. I finished my so-called ‘revision’ yesterday, and it was pretty much “fix misspelled words and rewrite the occasional sentence” by the time I was done with it.

Oh, wait, silver lining, one of my side-characters’ hair changed colors and I fixed that. Sweet.

Don’t worry about it, it’s a completely seperate skill from drafting and recognizing any problems is really hard. Especially if you’ve been working on it for a while, it’s almost impossible to tell how good or how bad it is. It’s easy to get stuck on the details, but you haven’t lost anything by it! You’ve probably learned some stuff and picked up a couple patterns for what you tend to do.

If you’re done with the revision, please send it over as soon as you’re ready! I have more time than I know what to do with and I can’t wait to get started 🙂 (I really need something else to work on, I have no idea what to do with myself now this draft is done XD)

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

I was thinking about asking you if you’re up for that round, but it’s at least a year away, so don’t worry about it any time soon

I am most certainly up for it, let me know if you want me when the time comes. 🙂

Wow. That seems too close. It’ll take me more than a year though and I have to repeat that with the other two books too so I won’t be done with this any time soon

That is not too close at all. The faster you can get a good manuscript out the better (all things under consideration of course).

You’ve probably learned some stuff and picked up a couple patterns for what you tend to do.

One would hope. xD

If you’re done with the revision, please send it over as soon as you’re ready! I have more time than I know what to do with and I can’t wait to get started 🙂 (I really need something else to work on, I have no idea what to do with myself now this draft is done

I know the feeling.

I’ll send you the beta readers document this week sometime (maybe tomorrow), and then I’ll share the folder with book itself with you and everyone else this sometime early next week (Sunday or Monday hopefully).

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

I am most certainly up for it, let me know if you want me when the time comes.

Awesome! Thanks, I really appreciate it 🙂

That is not too close at all. The faster you can get a good manuscript out the better (all things under consideration of course).

Practically and theoretically, yes, but I’m not emotionally ready to shelve these characters, I love them too much. XD Maybe I will be by the time it’s finished XD

One would hope. xD

If all else fails, you’ve learned that your revision skills could use some practice 🙂

I’ll send you the beta readers document this week sometime (maybe tomorrow), and then I’ll share the folder with book itself with you and everyone else this sometime early next week (Sunday or Monday hopefully).

That’s perfect! Can’t wait to get it!

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest