fb

NaNoWriMo 2021

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions NaNoWriMo 2021

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

2164 words yesterday and 1752 today. I’m through the final battle and now I only have the falling action left to write. That’s only three chapters left. It feels very bizarre that I’m so close to the end. XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy hooray!! So glad that tough part is behind you! Do you think you’ll have clear sailing from here?

On that Day I want those who hated me most to have the least to say against me. ~Quin Miller

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

Do you think you’ll have clear sailing from here?

I hope so! It’s just a few chapters and I already have planned what I want to write, so it shouldn’t be too hard. (I’m going to eat my words XD)

Anway, I’m confident I can finish it this week, at least. It probably won’t quite be 50k all together, but that’s good too 🙂

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

OK, nice! Go for it. 🙂

I’m ready to start Chapter 4. Quin and Qatar are separated, which makes me very sad, even though they were at each other’s throats the whole time anyway. Does anybody die in your story? And does this book have a name?

On that Day I want those who hated me most to have the least to say against me. ~Quin Miller

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

OK, nice! Go for it.

I’m ready to start Chapter 4. Quin and Qatar are separated, which makes me very sad, even though they were at each other’s throats the whole time anyway.

Aahhh, now I’m sad too 😭 I know it was needed for the plot but…

Does anybody die in your story?

*Avoids eye contact like my life depends on it* I neither confirm nor deny this. Maybe.

And does this book have a name?

Yep! I’m calling the first book “Gilded Blood”. The second and third are “Shadow Shards” and “Smoke Circlet.” I’m really proud of those titles 🙂 Though I couldn’t have picked them without the help of my SE friends!

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Aahhh, now I’m sad too 😭 I know it was needed for the plot but…

I know, and they didn’t leave on good terms and I hate myself!

*Avoids eye contact like my life depends on it* I neither confirm nor deny this. Maybe.

NOoooooo! Tell me it isn’t Acyn or Sahar!!!!!

Yep! I’m calling the first book “Gilded Blood”. The second and third are “Shadow Shards” and “Smoke Circlet.” I’m really proud of those titles 🙂 Though I couldn’t have picked them without the help of my SE friends!

Nice names! Is Liorah the MC for all of them, or what holds the trilogy together?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

I know, and they didn’t leave on good terms and I hate myself!

AAAhh, characters getting seperated on bad terms is my one trope weakness 😭😭 Keep doing what you’re doing, it sounds emotionally destructive!

NOoooooo! Tell me it isn’t Acyn or Sahar!!!!!

*Mumbles indistinctly and avoids eye contact even more*

Nice names! Is Liorah the MC for all of them, or what holds the trilogy together?

Yep, Liorah is the constant MC, though book 2 and 3 have a dual POV. Faye for the second one, and the new character I’m dropping in the castle for the third book.

Is Quin and Qatar’s story a standalone? What genre is it? Fantasy with just another world, right?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

it sounds emotionally destructive!

That’s what I’m hoping. 😛

*Mumbles indistinctly and avoids eye contact even more*

You are a monster and I know it’s Acyn! (Okay, I won’t actually ask you, since you don’t want to give me spoilers, but..C’MON!) XD

Yep, Liorah is the constant MC, though book 2 and 3 have a dual POV. Faye for the second one, and the new character I’m dropping in the castle for the third book. Is Quin and Qatar’s story a standalone? What genre is it? Fantasy with just another world, right?

Nice! Who is Faye? (Have you read the Two Princesses of Bamar?–that name is reminding me of one in there…)

Well, I have an idea for a sequal, but I don’t think it will be very good. But there will be a lot of loose ends at the end of this book, so IDK.

I suppose you have to call it low fantasy, but genres stump me, lol. It’s in a world that is exactly like ours only with different countries, geography, and people groups. Yours is fantasy in our world?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

That’s what I’m hoping.

I’ll bet it is!

You are a monster and I know it’s Acyn! (Okay, I won’t actually ask you, since you don’t want to give me spoilers, but..C’MON!) XD

*Grins evilly* No comment XD

Nice! Who is Faye? (Have you read the Two Princesses of Bamar?–that name is reminding me of one in there…)

No, I haven’t! I actually just liked the name. It suits her nicely.

As I mentioned, she’s the second protagonist of the second book. She’s one of my favorite characters and Liorah’s opposite in every way. I like her because I don’t have any character like her.

She’s like five feet tall and cried during her only fight scene. She has a pet raven and likes climbing trees and wearing flowy dresses. Yep, that pretty much summarizes her XD

She’s sweet, shy, and gentle, I love her so much. 🙂 I might drop her into the castle after this character, so they overlap a bit. They actually have a cool dynamic and they’re some of the few characters who actually just like each other XD

Well, I have an idea for a sequal, but I don’t think it will be very good. But there will be a lot of loose ends at the end of this book, so IDK.

That’s cool! You can always start with the first and see where it takes you!

I suppose you have to call it low fantasy, but genres stump me, lol. It’s in a world that is exactly like ours only with different countries, geography, and people groups. Yours is fantasy in our world?

Nope, it’s like yours! Different world but no special abilities, magic, or other creatures. It’s pretty strongly based off ours, but I messed with political structures and cultures.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

1501 words today!

That was 11972 words this week and 37439 words total! I’m so close to done!

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

Go Rose! 🙂

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Go Rose!

Thanks, Noah! 🙂

How are you finding the revision? Easier or harder than drafting?

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

Uh….yeah, I’ve been meaning to talk to you about this, but…well here’s the thing, drafting is way harder, but I like it better. Like way better. xD

I created an entire document of things I would be looking for to improve as I revised (prose tips, sentence structure, spelling, minor plot holes, etc…), but 6 chapters in, I realized I’m pretty much just correcting spelling, grammar, and punctuation. xD I clean up sentences and prose here and there, but I just kinda decided this first revision would be to make the manuscript readable (hopefully readable, sometimes I worry it’s just me who can read it xD). One thing that probably needs to be worked on the most is the way my sentences are structure, namely in the way they start and how long they last. Do you have any tips for starting sentences with something other than The, He, She, They, or -ing verbs?

Essentially, this is a heads up that you will notice many of my sentences are slightly stilted because they start with He’s and She’s a lot, and they tend to be short (meaning more periods).

So to answer your question after all that chatter, it’s going fine, but I don’t care for it much, and it’s taking a different route than I thought it would.😄

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

One thing that probably needs to be worked on the most is the way my sentences are structure, namely in the way they start and how long they last. Do you have any tips for starting sentences with something other than The, He, She, They, or -ing verbs?

Honestly, this probably isn’t as much of a problem as you think it is 🙂 I know, I’ve been there! I’m still there nine times out of ten!

I remember I was really focused on creating beautiful, strong prose during my first draft of my first book. I’d nitpick every sentence and cut every extra word until it was as polished as it could possibly be. And at some point I just started writing trash without even reading it afterward. And then when I reread it I realized I couldn’t tell the difference between the two.

Think about it this way. When you’re reading a book, do you count how many sentences start with the same word? It doesn’t matter that much, especially not for readability. If it’s a serious readability issue that pulls me out of the book, I’ll give you feedback on it, otherwise, don’t worry if a few sentences are stilted. (My draft is full of the most terrible sentences that exist. After all, it’s just a draft, it’ll be fine!)

Essentially, this is a heads up that you will notice many of my sentences are slightly stilted because they start with He’s and She’s a lot, and they tend to be short (meaning more periods).

This is really interesting to hear because that’s exactly the things I used to do. 🙂 (Do I still do that? Maybe, I can’t tell XD)

I just kinda decided this first revision would be to make the manuscript readable (hopefully readable, sometimes I worry it’s just me who can read it xD).

Really, it’s better than you think 🙂

I’ve found that handing off a manuscript to someone else to read is positively terrifying. At least to me. It’s really scary and I know it made me panic a little. So I’ll repeat, it’s better than you think, have courage 🙂

For me, handing over drafts has always felt like… hold on a sec.

Basically. It’s not that bad, it just feels that way because you’ve read it eighty-million times. 🙂

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

Sorry for not checking in! Between a big family health crisis, bundling a book for beta readers, and some church things, I had another several day gap in writing. I got a bit more than 1900 words this morning as I started on the second draft of my martial arts fantasy book, though. My prose is mostly where I want it, so I can get away with copy/pasting blocks of text and then editing them instead of full rewriting like I did for my scifi book. Feels good to go fairly quickly.

I’m about 5K behind my NaNo goals, but hopefully can catch up soon.

It’s encouraging to read all your progress updates! Good work to all of you.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest