NaNoWriMo 2020 Roll Call

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions NaNoWriMo 2020 Roll Call

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

Doesn’t look like we have a discussion thread for NaNoWriMo 2020, so I thought I’d begin one. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Is anyone else here doing NaNoWriMo this year? I’m doing it again for the first time in five years to try and finish off the current first draft I’m working through. My username on the site is just “Josiah DeGraaf” if you want to friend me, or drop your username below so I can friend you as well over there!

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Edmund Lloyd Fletcher
    @edmund-lloyd-fletcher

My username is https://nanowrimo.org/participants/edmund-lloyd-fletcher

This year I had the idea to do a sci-fi version of Pride and Prejudice.ย  In researching I found there is already one out there by Sybil Nelson.ย  Now I’m excited to read that, but I can’t until mine is finished (can’t be “tainted” by her story).ย  I guess that gives me motivation to finish.

Unlike hers I didn’t want to do a straight-up retelling in space, and unlike P&P&Zombies I didn’t want to make it a spoof. The idea is to take the quirky characters we love, key scenes, and of course the snappy wit, and tell an all new story with it.

I tried throwing some ideas down on paper to see if it would work and now I’m up over 10,000 words before NaNo has even started (Is that cheating?ย  LOL!)ย  Either way, I think I’m committed at this point.

P.S.ย  That moment when Lydia Bennet zaps Mr Darcy to the ground with a tazer…ย  Yeah… this one is going nothing if not different. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Homeschooling father of 10, writing Christian action/adventure novels from my home high in the Rockies.

E. Grace
    @emgc

I am!!!!!! (My username is Emberlynn) I… really didn’t make much of an outline ๐Ÿ˜… But this an idea I’ve been working on for a few years now, so I think I’ve got a good idea of how it’s gonna go ๐Ÿ™ƒ

@eden-anderson
    ย  @kari-karast @r-m-archer @seekjustice @naiya-dyani @anne_the_noob14 @catwing @all_the_other_peoples_who_nanoed_last_yearย  Any of you guys doing NaNo this year????? ๐Ÿ˜€

"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less." - C. S. Lewis

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

I’m in some weird middle ground where I’m planning to shoot for 50k in November but I’m not working on any actual stories (worldbuilding all month) and where I’m not a fan of the NaNoWriMo organization but I’m still on the site because of one of the communities I’m part of that is a significant bright patch on the forums. So. I honestly don’t know how to answer this question, because I feel like “yes” and “no” are both false. XD

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

YES! I am doing NaNo this year! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Thanks for starting this thread, Josiah. I was hoping someone would!

@emgc
    Hey! I’m glad you are doing it again this year too! ๐Ÿ˜Š

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

*springs in* Hey, y’all! I’m joining this year with an underdeveloped story. XD XD XD

Mainly because I’M FINISHING THE FINAL REWRITE OF MY FIRST COMPLETED NOVEL!!!

Hopefully today!!!

The darlings I’ve been talking about on here for over a year will finally be complete <3 . . . after applying my friends’ edits lol.

But all that means I haven’t had a lot of time to put into developing this new story. I have a framework but we’ll see where this goes. XD

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Edmund Lloyd Fletcher
      @edmund-lloyd-fletcher

Iโ€™M FINISHING THE FINAL REWRITE OF MY FIRST COMPLETED NOVEL!!!

Congratulations! In sight of the finish line!!!

Homeschooling father of 10, writing Christian action/adventure novels from my home high in the Rockies.

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

@naiya-dyani That’s amazing! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Eden Anderson
      @eden-anderson

@naiya-dyani Aaaagghhh!!! Congrats on finishing up your novel! That’s so awesome! ๐Ÿ˜

(and same, I’m going into this NaNo with a super underdeveloped outline, too. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I’m slightly *cough* nervous…)

E. Grace
      @emgc

@eden-anderson So glad you’re participating too!ย  (I can’t believe it’s been a year ๐Ÿ˜… How have you been doing?)

@naiya-dyani
      That’s fantastic!!!!! Congrats ๐Ÿ˜€

"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less." - C. S. Lewis

Eden Anderson
      @eden-anderson

@emgc It’s absolutely crazy how fast time has been going by! I’ve been doing really well! ๐Ÿ˜Š This year has been, um…very weird and stressful, but I have a lot to be grateful for. Writing has been a bit difficult in the past months, but I’m excited for NaNo and I’m hoping it’ll help get me back into the groove of things! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

What about you?!

E. Grace
      @emgc

@eden-anderson Yeah this year has been tough! I’m so glad you’ve been doing okay tho ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m doing all right, all things considered.ย  Had some struggles this year, definitely, but you are right– there is so much to be thankful for ๐Ÿ˜Š I’ve had little time for writing in these past few months, so I’m excited to be making time for it this month!

Let me know if you ever want to word war ๐Ÿ˜„

Livi Ryddle
      @anne_the_noob14

@emgc

(Thanks for tagging me!)

I was going to do it this year, but life snuck up on me and I’ve only just now been able to find time to just check my notifications here lol. So I’m gonna have to pass on this year ๐Ÿ™ Just don’t think I have time.

But you guys have fun!! I wish you all productivity and writing sprees ๐Ÿ˜‰

โ€œEnough! Be quiet! I canโ€™t hear myself think! I canโ€™t hear my teeth chatter!"

Eden Anderson
      @eden-anderson

@emgc Aw, yeah, I can relate! I’m glad you’ve been able to do some writing in the past months (everything helps!) and I hope you get tons of writing done this month! ๐Ÿ˜Š

What’s your project about?! And how has NaNo been going so far?

Absolutely! I love doing word wars! They always give me an extra boost of motivation. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@anne_the_noob14
      So many things, and so little time, am I right? Sorry you couldn’t do NaNo this year, but totally understand! I hope you have a wonderful month. โ˜บ๏ธ

Josiah DeGraaf
      @josiah

Woohoo! Glad to see the participation from other Story Embers folks on here. ๐Ÿ˜€

That sounds like an awesome story idea, @edmund-lloyd-fletcher! I’m actually teaching through the original work with my 11th graders at the moment.

Hope the writing process goes well, @emgc! Glad you don’t need an outline to know where to take the story. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sounds fair, @r-m-archer. Are you hoping to put 50k into worldbuilding then?

Welcome to the club, @eden-anderson!

And that’s an awesome achievement to meet, @naiya-dyani! ๐Ÿ˜€

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest