NaNoWriMo 2019: The Crazy Writers Corner

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions NaNoWriMo 2019: The Crazy Writers Corner

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 1,491 total)
  • Author
    Warden
    @nuetrobolt

I am currently at 12700 words, and I will probably get a lot more today.

I haven’t posted on here for the past few days, but my favorite lines two days ago was this: (The Curtain is a huge waterfall stretching into the sky, btw)

“Be calm.”

Vromidon could hear a voice instructing him in his head, but it was hard to obey it.

“Be calm.”

Vromidon bent his mind toward obeying that simple task; being calm, and the world speeding past him seemed to slow.

“Be calm,” Jay whispered again, trying to shut out the nausea and the hopelessness. He had to go out strong, not as a coward. He had to make his last moments count. Dying boldly might be his only chance at being a hero.

“Be calm,” he whispered again, and he shut his eyes, and forced himself to smile. The spinning seemed to stop, and although he could still feel the wind rushing past him, it was easier to imagine that he was not plummeting. He was calm.

Vromidon waited for his mind to replay the quiet encouragement again, but it didn’t come. There was no voice telling him to be calm. It was no longer time to be calm, he realized. It was time to act, to be bold and to be strong. It was the time to be do it. It was the time to fly. He couldn’t drop forever; at some point he would hit the ground.

Vromidon thought about all the reasons why he should fly and how he would do it for several minutes. It was much easier to think about the job in front of him, but it was much harder to actually do it. Vromidon lifted his eyes and saw the White Curtain shining in all its glory in front of him. It looked just as glorious in moonlight as in sunlight, and regardless of the light, it still seemed to shine. Normally when he saw the Curtain, the drops were falling too far for him to concentrate on them, but now they seemed to be rising. He knew it was because they were not falling as fast as he was, but somehow he wanted to think that the Curtain was doing magic. Or was it always doing magic? Why did things even fall? Was it magic? Was he part of magic right now?

Was he even falling, or was the world shooting upward? Maybe the world was traveling up the curtain, and Vromidon was the one thing not moving.

As he watched the curtain move upward, he felt as though he were not moving but was frozen in midair, and it was normal for the curtain to flow upward. But he knew how to fly; he had wings. He was a dragon. He didn’t have to stay down here. He could follow the water. Where was the water going? What was at the top of the falls? Vromidon wanted to catch the water droplets and keep up with them. He wanted to beat them too the top.

Vromidon raised his wings, barely noticing the pain. He picked a water droplet and raced. He was slower for only several seconds, and then he found that he was pulling into the lead. But the water wasn’t rising anymore; it was falling like normal. The magic was over, but a new magic had begun. He was flying. He had thought he couldn’t fly anymore, but he had. And he was still.

The water began to slow to a stop, and for a second, the curtain seemed completely still. Vromidon knew what would happen if he didn’t rise again. The magic of the curtain going upward would begin, but the magic of flight would end. So Vromidon stroked and he flew slowly at first, but he began to grow in speed.

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

Warden
    @nuetrobolt

Favorite lines for today: (so far)

“But do you think it is true that there are no heroes anymore?”

“I suppose so,” Vromidon said, crushing the last spark of Jay’s dream of finding and possibly even becoming a hero.

He sat in silence for several moments, before Vromidon spoke up. “But someday, I think, we will re-enter the age of heroes. All it would take is one hero, one hero to lead the way.”

At those words, a spark in the darkest corner of Jay’s mind began to blaze.

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@nuetrobolt That’s a super cool scene! You did a great job of using the setting to bring out the character’s thoughts and emotions.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Warden
    @nuetrobolt

@r-m-archer Thank-you!

Warden
    @nuetrobolt

Is anyone around who wants to word war?

@r-m-archer
    @emgc @naiya-dyani @eden-anderson @catwing @seekjustice @edmund-lloyd-fletcher @anyone-else

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@nuetrobolt *stretches back after finishing crazy physics problems* I could totally use one right now! (Haha, I’m almost always here for word wars because my computer’s always open 😀 )

Does 15 minutes at :55 sound good?

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Naiya Dyani
      @naiya-dyani

@nuetrobolt I don’t know whether you got my message in time, but I just got an all time low of 161 😛

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Warden
        @nuetrobolt

@naiya-dyani So, sorry, I didn’t get that. I had this page open and was expecting new messages to just appear, but apparently they don’t! Whoops.

Warden
        @nuetrobolt

I guess you wouldn’t want to do another one right now (with me this time?)

Naiya Dyani
        @naiya-dyani

@nuetrobolt Haha, are you kidding me? I’m a sucker for these things (even though I lose most of the time 😛 )

15 minutes at :30?

Warden
          @nuetrobolt

sure, you’re on!

Warden
          @nuetrobolt

I got 411 words. What about you?

Warden
          @nuetrobolt

@naiya-dyani

Naiya Dyani
          @naiya-dyani

@nuetrobolt Wow, I’m doing terribly 😀 . Only 241. I’d be willing to do another except that there’s something I’ve got to get to. I’ll probably be back later, though. Thanks for warring with me!

Warden
            @nuetrobolt

@naiya-dyani I did a lot better than I thought I would.

Thanks for warring!

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 1,491 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest