fb

Name Meanings and Comparisons!

Forums Fiction Characters Name Meanings and Comparisons!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Great idea!!

Rebere – Leader (can’t remember language… Kurdish maybe? I used Google Translate for all of these though so the translation is… wobbly at best. XD)

Marina – Truth/truthful/of the sea (?)

Lytt – Listen (Norwegian)

Indarra – Strength/strong (Basque)

Alaia – Happy/joyful (Basque)

Jistis – Just/justice (Hatian Creole)

Jenis – Kind (as in type) (Indonesian?)

Valent – Courageous (Catalan?)

Asor – Humidity, apparently, which was NOT what I thought it meant XD (Javanese)

Callidus – Charm (?)

Ricco –  Rich (Italian)

Kalite – Quality (Turkish)

Fior – Flower (Italian)

Fidel – Faithful (?)

Riure – Laugh (Catalan)

Invidia – Envy (Italian)

Virtus – Courage (Latin)

Elatre – Wings (?)

Berun – Lead (Basque)

——–

Hope that was helpful!

https://thepeninspired.wordpress.com

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

And oh no Cathy, I’ll definitely be praying for her!! Hang in there and tag me if you ever need anything. <3

Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

This looks like fuunnnn😍 I love names more than anything. Half my internet history is made up of baby name websites haha

Most of my names are Irish/Celtic, and I’ve mainly tried to stick with ones that are considered to be rather unusual from my perspective. Plus I might change them in the future – again😂

Mayra: (Irish) meaning ‘bitter’, it is also known as a variation of Mary.

Lorcan: (Irish) meaning ‘little fierce one’

Finbar: (Irish) meaning ‘fair-haired’

Skye: (Scottish) meaning ‘sky’ or ‘cloud’, Skye is an island in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland

Oonagh: (Irish) means ‘lamb’

Daire: (Irish) meaning ‘oak tree’

Líadan: (Irish) meaning ‘grey lady’

Amergin: (Irish) means ‘born of song’

Thats all I got so far!

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Thanks @irishcelticredflowercrown @erynne @joelle-stone ❤️❤️❤️

My mom’s back from the hospital now and doing a little better but we could still use prayers, thank you guys so much! ❤️

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Sure thing Cathy! Keep us updated. 😉

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Thanks guys so much! My mom’s steadily getting better and it looks like she’ll recover soon, thanks y’all ❤️

OH THAT’S COOL!!!!

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

Neasa wrote:
    OH THAT’S COOL!!!!

Aw thanks Cathy haha❤️ It feels very providential that I randomly chose a name that was related to the Virgin Mary herself😄🙏

I’m delighted to hear ur mums doing well❤️❤️

calidris
    @calidris

@emma-walker ooh I love this stuff!  Thanks for the tag!

I used to be super obsessed with names and their meanings, but I lost interest in it over the past couple of years or so.  I still had a really hard time finding the perfect name for each character, so right now I just focus on the sound of a name and decide whether or not it fits a character.  Name history is still super interesting to me, though, so I’m going to research the meanings of these names and see what pops up!

– Saskia – Dutch, means “Saxon.”  I chose this name mainly for it’s sound, and also because it could serve as a sort of starting point for her nickname, Skia, which means “shadow” in Greek (I chose this name as an edgy 13 year old if you couldn’t tell lol).  I like it because it’s pretty, but it also has a little bit of hardness to it 🙂

– Basil – Greek, means “Regal.”  I suppose it’s more or less accurate – depending on the point in the story lol.  Traditionally, this name is pronounced “Baz-il,” but I’m pronouncing it like the herb (although both are very pretty!)  Incidentally, his very, very distant in-story counterpart is named Vassily, which is the Russian version of the same name!  This was completely accidental, but I think it’s cool nonetheless 🙂

– Sasha – Russian nickname for Alexander, means “defending men.”  That’s…more or less inaccurate, but to be fair I chose the name back when he was a much softer antagonist lol

– Misu – taken from “Mizu,” a Japanese word for a specific shade of light blue.

– Vitus Corvo – “Corvo” was taken from “corvid,” which is a leftover from the plague arc I had a long, long time ago.  Vitus is Latin for “life,” which I believe was supposed to be a rather dark play on his role as a villainous doctor (he’s one of my older characters, but it was only in the past couple of months that I found a realistic and fitting role for him in the plot).

Honestly, my best strategy has been to pray about it XD That’s how I found both Sasha and Basil (and possibly Saskia’s) names 🙂

*laughs as one fey*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@calidris

– Saskia – Dutch, means “Saxon.”

Can confirm, Saskia is a really common Dutch name!

Traditionally, this name is pronounced “Baz-il,” but I’m pronouncing it like the herb (although both are very pretty!)

I stared at this in deep confusion for several seconds trying to think of literally any other way to pronounce Basil before remembering that you Americans say “Bay-sil” XD I prefer Baz-il tbh XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

calidris
    @calidris

@rose-colored-fancy at first I only really liked the American pronunciation, because that’s what I’d grown up hearing all of my life.  The traditional pronunciation is really, really growing on me though, and now I’m torn between the two 😭

*laughs as one fey*

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@emma-walker

Emma my friend, I’m one of the few writers I know who puts very little thought into their characters’ names. I pick names based on how the sound, and if they fit the character (an arbitrary judgement, I admit). I do consider the semantics or syllables of the name to an extent, but usually only in the consider of what groups of letters sound dark/evil and which don’t. For instance, “dean” “mur” and “mal” all have evil sounding syllables, so they could be starting places for villains.

I do love names with unique origins (such as Greek/Byzantine, Welsh, Slavic, Hebrew, etc..), and my main process consists of looking lists of these names online, using some, but usually manipulating them until I come up with a new name that I like. Sometimes I just mix and match syllables and letters together until I come up with a name (especially for minor characters).

Erynne
    @erynne

@noah-cochran

I am right there with you. If it’s something I can remember and I like the sound of it, that’s the name I go with XD

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@erynne and @noah-cochran I totally get that! I was like that for a long time, and probably most of my characters were named just because I liked the sound of the name, but lately I’ve really been into names and their origins and meanings

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Erynne
    @erynne

@emma-walker

Yeah, sometimes I’ll do that but not often. Did you see all the crazy ways I came up with names? XDD

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@erynne I sawwwww and I applaud because that’s one of the best ways. A lot of my characters are named after people like my friends and family, or have made up meanings like Kallun’s name. Most I haven’t looked up the meanings but lately I’ve been doing it a lot.

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest