fb

Name Meanings and Comparisons!

Forums Fiction Characters Name Meanings and Comparisons!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

Hey y’all!

I really love diving into the history and meanings of names, so that I know sometimes what I’m giving my characters. (Sometimes I just completely make up names too.)

I thought it would be cool to discuss names and meanings of our characters, maybe create a list of names we’d like to use in the future?

Who’s with me?

@erynne
    @gbfruitbat @ajstoryteller @storysmith @noah-cochran @winter_rose @calidris @joelle-stone @rose-colored-fancy @rusted-knight @valkyrie-falk @joy-caroline @anyonelse

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Erynne
    @erynne

@emma-walker

This sounds really cool! I will definitely do this, but not tonight. I will have plenty of time tomorrow though! Thanks for the tag

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Grace Benham
    @gbfruitbat

@emma-walker yesssss I always go way too in-depth with my names!!  And I try to make them the right country of origin too

Right now I have a character who’s rather on the large side and his last name is Piccoli which means “small” XD

This is perhaps the greatest risk any of us will ever take: to be seen as we truly are.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@erynne Cool!

@gbfruitbat
    That’s really funny!

I just did Cassidy’s full name.

Lord Caiside Daniel Blaine-Karson

Cassidy – Irish
    -Derived from Caiside, which means “curly haired”
    -‘Nicks: Cass, Caddy

Daniel – Hebrew
    -Derived from Daniyyel, meaning” God is my judge”

Blaine – Scottish
    -Derived from Bláan, which means “Yellow” in Gaelic

Karson – English
    -Variant of Carson, a Scottish surname of uncertain meaning.

Whats funny is his hair is blonde and a little curly, and I made him before I knew the meaning of his name! XDc

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Joshua Scheele
    @storysmith

@emma-walker

Sure! Though I often make up my character names.

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the assessment that something else is more important th

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@storysmith That’s cool! (Then you get to make up your own meanings, and that’s also fun!)

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by Emma Walker.

Joshua Scheele
    @storysmith

@emma-walker

This is will be very helpful for feedback for what I come up with. I will probably end up cooking up names and then giving them meaning after I have fully figured out my cultures.

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the assessment that something else is more important th

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emma-walker

Cool idea! I choose my names based on a couple things. Is it a pun? Does it have any deep symbolic meaning that can be connected to the themes? Could it be a pun? XD

My favorite names I’ve chosen so far!

King Hakan

Meaning of name: King (Turkish)

Every time I remember his name I have a bit of a laugh because I literally named him moon moon XD

Nebiah, daughter of Malkiel.

Meaning of name: Prophetess. (Hebrew)

… Guess which character recieves visions halfway through the story? Yep, we have a second moon moon situation! XD

Her name was actually originally Keturah, which means something like “perfection” which was based off how my MC percieves her. Her story role is very much to be the perfect foil for my messy, flawed protagonist. Thankfully, she rather grew beyond that role.

My MC is named Liorah, which means “Light upon me” in Hebrew. This was kind of an accident initially but I leaned into it a lot for symbolism.

Many of my names don’t have any specific symbolism or just sound cool XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@rose-colored-fancy That’s really cool!

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@emma-walker

For most of my characters, I look up names that defined them or some of their major traits.

My MC: Cahira:

Gaelic origin

Meaning: Warrior

Khalon:

American-English origin

Meaning: Strong Warrior

Conroy:

Irish-Gaelic origin

Meaning (there are several, but this is the one I’m going for): wise advisor or counsel

The best word to describe him before his character arc is sly not wise.

Anwir:

Welsh origin

Meaning: Liar (I literally looked up “Boy names that mean liar”)

Alora:

variant of Eliora; Hebrew

Meaning: the Lord is my Light

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Erynne
    @erynne

Ok, I’m back. My answers are going to be so stupid but here goes nothing.

Kimberlin- I named my MC after my most favoritest actress/ politician, Kimberlin Brown Pelzer. (Emu,  I just found out a couple of weeks ago she does a lot of work for CF. She’s donated to CFF and does the CF walks) I just looked up the meaning for this name and it means “Bold family” which is incredibly fitting. It’s also British which is amazing

Ryder- It’s got kind of a western vibe to it and it’s for a cowboy. It means “horseman, cavalrymen, or messenger”

Jack Anthony Patterson- ok… this dude is totally named after my celeb crushes and an inside joke between me and my bestie 😂😂😂 Jack is the name of Leonardo DiCaprio’s character from the Titanic, Anthony is Robert Pattinson’s middle name, and Patterson is the inside joke (derived from Robert Pattinson) so there’s my heterosexual pride moment for the day, @this-is-not-an-alien

Rose- I named her after the beautiful (inside and out) @rose-colored-fancy it means “famous type” apparently. Of course, it’s also a flower

Tae- it’s a nickname I invented for Teressa and since I invented it I get to come up with the meaning. It was derived from the medieval time period and means “that of a black fox”

Ok, literally the only character I named because of the meaning,

Libelle- it means “dragonfly” and I really liked that for her

So there’s that XD

My first ever story would have been perfect for this. The theme, I guess (I know, anti-theme Erynne having a theme sounds super hypocritical doesn’t it?) was actually names. Everyone in the story had a name with their role as a meaning. It was kinda neat

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@emma-walker

Sounds fun!

For my historical fiction novel, Where Faith Remains, the main characters’ names just came to me without any thought, so I wasn’t thinking about their meanings or anything.

For my MC, Eliza, her full name is Elizabeth Jaeda, which I think is beautiful. Elizabeth means “God is my oath” and Jaeda means “wise” according to my Google search. Eliza’s father’s name is Russell, which means “red” according to another search. XD

For my Life of Sacrifice Series, my Biblical fiction series about St. Paul, a couple characters do have very symbolic names. My MC, Paul’s sister, is Temira, which means “tall” which is funny since she’s quite small. XD I just chose the name because I liked it. For Temira’s son and Paul’s oldest nephew, Reuben, his name means “behold, a son” and Temira chose this name for him because she’d struggled to have a child and when she finally had one, her shame was taken away. Like Leah, who named her son Reuben for the same reason (Genesis 29:32). For Seth, Temira’s adopted son and Paul’s adopted nephew, his name means “anointed; compensation.” Which is extremely symbolic because Seth was anointed by God to save his uncle’s life and consequently the lives of many in the Roman Empire, because Paul was able to minister in Rome later (Acts 23:16). The “compensation” part of his name is also extremely symbolic, but I can’t say why because that would be a spoiler. 😉 Seth, of course, is another Biblical name – Eve named her third son Seth because he was her compensation for Abel after Cain killed him (Genesis 4:25).

Funny thing about Reuben’s and Seth’s names is that I actually originally chose both just because I liked them, and I was shocked when I looked up the meanings and saw how well they fit the characters and the story. XD

O that you would realize that each moment is golden. - Ellen G. White

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

so there’s my heterosexual pride moment for the day

Oh my goodness, I just about died with this 🤣

Ok, I know this doesn’t have anything to do with this topic but my mom’s in the hospital right now can you guys pray for her? ❤️

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Erynne
    @erynne

@this-is-not-an-alien

Oh no, what’s going on???

Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

@this-is-not-an-alien
    I’m so sorry to hear that hun❤️ i will storm Heaven with prayers for your mum🙏🙏🙏💖💖

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest