Na, No Ideas

Forums Fiction Plotting Na, No Ideas

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @snapper

Greetings one and all.

That’s right, it’s Snapper. And she’s decided to do NaNo. Why? Well, because this would appear to be the best possible year for success. So here’s hoping I can get in those 50k words.

The only problem is that I’m not exactly sure how one goes about doing this.

So… howย does one go about doing this? Finding a good story idea, that is, when you have so many? Any tips for figuring out what to write next, especially when it comes to NaNo? Because I got nothing. ๐Ÿ˜›

Thanks all!

Oh snap. I don’t know any tags. …. @ethryndal @jenwriter17 @dekreel @mariposa @jane-maree @seekjustice @evelyn @everyone

*melts chair*

Veraza Winterknight
      @kari-karast

@snapper I’ve never done NaNo, but… I do have a Doc of prompts you can look at.ย https://docs.google.com/document/d/18Tjm8ItOGBHimTbWsxIsRvggVunW7k5Hc0zfj1jhnPU/edit?usp=sharing

"You can dance with my henchman."

Evelyn
      @evelyn

“Nah… no ideas.” — how I read the title of this thread xDxD

ANYWAYS

*clears throat*

Totally did not laugh out loud at that. ๐Ÿ˜›

Soโ€ฆ how does one go about doing this? Finding a good story idea, that is, when you have so many?

Ah, the aged question of picking one story idea.

Try combining them! I always like taking a couple different premises and sticking them together. Shuffle them up. Mix and match.

What normally helps you in brainstorming a book idea?

Make a Pinterest board? Make a music playlist? Whatever it is that helps get that idea started I would suggest doing it. What kind of things have drawn you to previous stories? Do you usually get an idea of a setting? A situation? A character? How about genre? Is there any genre in particular that you had in mind?

And if its more ideas and prompts you’re looking for. Especially ones with a satisfying level of sarcasm (which is something that everyone needs):ย  https://www.instagram.com/rooftopwritingprompts/

For another helpful resource, there are some writers hosting “Pretober Prompts” to help prepare for NaNo. ( @rm-archer )

I hope you found something helpful in this jumble. ๐Ÿ˜›

Evelyn
      @evelyn

( Whoops, wrong tag. @r-m-archer )

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

I have a blog post about how to choose a story idea, if that’s helpful. And @evelyn’s suggestion to combine ideas is really good.

Thanks for the mention, Evelyn! ^-^ The introduction post to this year’s Preptober Prompts can be found here. ๐Ÿ™‚

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by R.M. Archer.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Snapper
      @snapper

@kari-karast Wow! Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

@evelyn That was the intent, lol. XD

Love the idea of mix and match. It’s like legos, but with words and ideas.

@r-m-archer Thank you, I’ll definitely look at that as I’m considering what to do. Preptober here we come. ๐Ÿ˜€

*melts chair*

Jenna Terese
        @jenwriter17

@snapper I would just pick from a story idea you have that inspires you most/gets you the most pumped up. cuz you’re gonna need the motivation during NaNo. ๐Ÿ˜‰ But yeah, looking at writing prompts too. Gabrielle’s Rooftop Writing Prompts are really good!

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
        www.jennaterese.com

Evelyn
        @evelyn

@snapper Well you got to use that blender for more than frothing lattes. ๐Ÿ˜†

I thought that was probably on purpose… the comma and all.ย  XD

@r-m-archer *salutes* Just doing my neighborly-duties. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mariposa Aristeo
        @mariposa

@snapper Iโ€™ve never participated in NaNo because Iโ€™m usually busy making Christmas cards at that time, but the one factor that determines what book I write next is usually whichever story I have the most ideas for. ๐Ÿ™‚ Basically whichever story is the clearest in your mind regarding characters, worldbuilding, etc. If you already have lots of ideas for scenes and such, youโ€™ll be able to write/outline it easier.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest