fb

My Writing YouTube Channel

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions My Writing YouTube Channel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

Some of you may remember that I used to upkeep a YouTube channel focused on writing critique. A few Story Embers members kindly submitted first chapters and short stories for review. After submissions dried up, I turned toward other topics when I felt like it. \

Today, for the first time in over a year, I posted a new video containing three advanced critique tips. Since SE is running an event on writers uplifting each other, it seemed like a good topic.

If I had the opportunity, I’d also like to return to critiquing short stories and first chapters. If that’s something you’re interested in, please let me know!

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@taylorclogston Good video.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@daeus-lamb Thank you! Trying to figure out what I should have done better after beta-ing for you was a huge part in making it.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Ella
    @writergirl101

@taylorclogston

Good job!  I’d definitely like your critique on my stuff when I’m finished with my first draft.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

@taylorclogston Good tips, particularly that one on trying to recognize and support the author’s own vision for the work, not your own. It’s an important distinction to make, and one that sometimes requires beta readers/critique partners to walk a narrow line in what they say and how they say it to avoid overstepping their bounds in this regard.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@josiah Thanks, Josiah. Yeah, it’s dim line with blurry boundaries. I might need new glasses.

@writergirl101
    Thank you! What’s your story about?

Ella
    @writergirl101

@taylorclogston

Oh man.  How to summarize?  (However I do it, it’s gonna sound terrible )

Here goes:

The country is under a tyrannical government’s rule–one that uses the “survival of the fittest” concept to cull the population so the future generations are strong, tough, and capable.  They create a border between the slums and the rich, high-tech city.  They enforce their ideals by holding a race that all able citizens participate in to make it into the city.  (The people with disabilities or illnesses are left to fend for themselves in the slums.)  The Runners have to survive in the wilderness, withstand all sorts of physical and mental challenges, and, of course, run.  Those who make it are allowed inside the city walls, honored and accepted into the society that will make the world great.  Those who don’t are “Culled.”

The setting is in the slums, where a group of people band together, trying to survive until they can Run themselves.  The main character has trained under her “brother” (a guy who raised her when she was abandoned) all her life and wants more than anything to gain wealth, honor, and security.  But when a child enters her life and changes her perspective, she fights with herself.  Does she really want to abandon the people on the outskirts and become one of the people she hates?  But what choice does she have?

We’ll see how it goes. 😉

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.