fb

My Antagonist is Growing on Me

Forums Fiction Characters My Antagonist is Growing on Me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Kayla Joy
    @kayla-joy

I made a mistake. I let my villain grow into a whole different character then what I planned him to be. He was supposed to be a simple cut and dried psychopathic villain who kills for the puzzle of it, the joy of outsmarting the police. But now he is growing on me and I am considering making him have Dissociative identity disorder (DID), so I can keep him around without feeling bad about it.

Is that a bad thing?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Kayla Joy.

Red haired Disney Nerd. Proverbs 3:5-6 ENFP-T

Parker Hankins
    @parker

That’s cool, @kayla-joy!  like the idea. I love it when villains stay in the stories.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Kayla Joy
    @kayla-joy

@parker Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind as I am planning this all out. 🙂

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@kayla-joy, I don’t see anything bad about that. It sounds good.

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

Kayla Joy
    @kayla-joy

@nuetrobolt Thanks. 🙂

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

Nah, you should be fine.

*Forum Signature here*

luciusbraun
    @theswordinthebook

@kayla-joy oh my goodness, I completely understand about that! 😂 That is a habit of mine as well. I guess it’s okay as long as they are not completely evil and are redeemable.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by luciusbraun.

ISTP. Check out my art instagram @smudge_viel Fueled by my family, friends, and lots of tea.

Tess
    @thetessinator

It’s great that your antagonist is growing on you! This will help you be able to get into his shoes and write like you’re rooting for him – when it’s time for him to do his evil work, that is.

A caveat about antagonist love: Make sure you love your antagonist’s character, not what he does. Something I always find with my antagonists is that it’s not that I love him, it’s that I wish he were good, so he could use his talents for good. If you start thinking that your antagonist is justified in what he does, or that what he does is okay, you may end up with a morally skewed story.

One more caveat: Disorders breed shallow antagonists. If it’s not the antagonist’s choice to be evil, can you really blame him? Or is the antagonist really the disorder that makes him do evil work?

I'm an ENFP - fluent in English, jokes, confusing art teminology, MBTI, and maniacal screaming.

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@kayla-joy So, if I understand this, the character is evil sometimes and not evil other times?

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kayla Joy
    @kayla-joy

@thetessinator Those problems were the reason why I was asking on here, because I understand that if it is the Disorder that is the bad guy, then it isn’t really him that is evil.

@daeus-lamb
    Yes. Dissociative identity disorder is when someone has 2 or more personalities, with all of them being very different from each other. In some extreme cases the person will only answer to certain names when under the influence of different “persons”. Say my character was born with the name Mason, and he is a really nice guy, but when his other personality takes over, he calls himself Owen, and he is a serial killer. Also in some cases the person, Mason, wont remember what he did while he was Owen.

Which would mean Mason, the character I am starting to get attached to, wont really be the villain, the villain would be Owen, his other personality.

Does that make sense?

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@kayla-joy I think you’re likely to lose something of the character if you use DID as an easy out. A redemption arc would probably be more effective and more meaningful, and you’re less likely to lose a piece of the character. Your antagonist’s motivations should be a part of him, and having those motivations change is more effective, I think, than giving those motivations to someone else, even if that “someone else” is just a separate personality.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Kayla Joy
    @kayla-joy

@r-m-archer But a redemptive arc would also mean more work, since he is a serial killer, who has been killing people for over 10 years because it is fun to outsmart the police. How do you do a redemptive arc for that?

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@kayla-joy You could give him something else to outsmart? Yes it would be harder to give him a redemptive arc, but writing is hard. Anyone is redeemable. “For God so loved the world.” 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 says “Neither fornicators, nor idolators, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. And such some of you were. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.” (Emphasis added in both verses.) Saul/Paul himself “breathed threats and murder” against Christians according to Acts 9:1 and then was redeemed. It may be harder, but it’s not impossible and I really think it will be stronger that way.

But it’s your story; you know it best and I don’t intend to tell you “YOU MUST WRITE IT THIS WAY!”, just to provide some insight. 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by R.M. Archer.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Kayla Joy
    @kayla-joy

@r-m-archer Thanks for the insights. I’ll keep them in mind as I plan this out. 🙂

@kayla-joy That sounds really interesting! I think it would make the story more unique.

Spreading God's love until I can see seven billion smiles. 🙂 https://sevenbillionsmiles.home.blog

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest