fb

My First Graphic Art Collage: Critique… Please?

Forums Art Art Critique My First Graphic Art Collage: Critique… Please?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

Does anyone have ideas on how to make this better…or criticism to give? I know it’s not very good…I just don’t know how to make it better. *sigh*

@anne-of-lothlorien

Because you are really good at this kinda stuff! 😀 (And question…where do you get your quotes/sayings?? I can never think up any good ones that fit my collage.)

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@eden-anderson I’ve never made one of these before, so I’m not an expert, but I think this looks great!!
    The only thing my unskilled eyes can see is that the two side images on top (far left, far right) give more of a sepia feel, while the rest feel very black and white. It’s probably a style thing, but sepia has a much warmer feel then black and white, and so they feel slightly off together? Take this with a grain of salt please, as I said before, I don’t really know anything about collages.
    Do you have a Pinterest account? You could probably find lots of cool quotes on there.
    Alright, that’s all. Farewell!

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@the-fledgling-artist

Thank you!

Ohhhh, yeah, that makes sense! I just didn’t want the collage to be too dismal and I wanted to add some color…but that makes sense what you said.

Nope, I don’t have a Pinterest account…but I can still stalk. 😜 *doesn’t really know why she admitted to that*

*cough*

Okay, thanks so much for the input! I appreciated it!

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@eden-anderson

First thing I would do is make the font of the quote a little larger. It’s too small, especially compared with Little Boy. Possibly cut out the top part of the bottom left quote and put it there to parallel the Little Boy on the bottom right. But make it larger if you can. Using two lines is okay.

Second, I would switch the top right picture and the top left picture. I usually try to keep pictures that are of roughly the same thing on opposite sides of a collage so it doesn’t feel lopsided. You have two pictures of humans right on top of each other. If you switched it, it would feel more balanced.

If you could, it’d be good to resize the three pictures up top so they are all exactly the same size and have the same margins of border around them. What Fledgling said about the sepia can be true, that it can look a little mashed-up, but I think you’ve balanced the color combo nicely.

I get my quotes from pinterest and two websites with royalty free pictures, unsplash and istock. I just search things like ‘fantasy sad quotes’ or ‘happy travel quotes’ and I find something eventually.

I’ll let you in on a little secret though. I don’t usually save pictures from the website directly to my computer. I have this thing called a snipping tool (I have no idea how to get it, it was just on my Dell laptop that uses windows) and I can ‘cut out’ a part of the screen and save it as a picture. So I just ‘cut out’ all the pics I want instead of saving them to my computer, cause that’s harder.

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
    No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@anne-of-lothlorien

Thank you SO much for the feedback!! It helped me in so many ways! And not just for this particular collage either! 😀

I made it on Pixlr…and the thing that annoyed me the most was that you could only make the pictures larger or smaller…but not wider or longer. (does that make sense?) Anyway, it really bugged me…how do you deal with that problem?

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@eden-anderson Yay! I think it’s so cool that you’re learning how to do these! Go you!! *cheering*

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@eden-anderson – Sighs. I’d like to give you an answer, but currently I cannot use Pixlr because of a Flash update you need that I don’t have, so I don’t know how to fix it. I never had that problem when I used it, but I didn’t use it often because it requires internet. My standard program is paint.net on my laptop. Sorry.

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@eden-anderson

🙂 Wonderful collage, madame! I don’t consider myself a huge expert on these things, but I’ve been told that I’m good with design etc. But mainly I’m going to share some tech tips with you. 😉

Unsplash is a a great resource like Anne said above, since copyright can be an issue. 🙂 And I think the snippet tool she’s referring to is called a screen snapshot program. Some keyboards have a hot button for it (says “Print Screen/PrtSc”, maybe on the right upper side?

Anyway, I think if you fix what Fledgling Artist and Anne said above you’ll do great!

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~Th.Jefferson

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@the-fledgling-artist

Aw, thanks, girl!! ❤️

@anne-of-lothlorien

Okay, thanks so much for your advice/tips/ideas!

Hey, that’s totally okay! And not your fault anyway! 😉

@pursuewisdom
      (my very own dear purse of wisdom!😉❤️)

Thanks! Your so sweet!

Ooh! Can I see an art piece of yours?!

Unsplash looks amazing!

Yes!! I found the snippet tool…now to figure out how to use it. Thanks so much!!

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@eden-anderson – You’re welcome!

And one tip more – persevere. I’ve only been doing this for about a year and I’m already good enough that people ask me for projects for their books. The things I made first are awful! But you just keep going and you get better. Keep on keeping on!

*peeks around and wonders if anyone got her Veggitales quote…*

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@anne-of-lothlorien

Thank you so much, that was super encouraging! Your such a dear!

Oh, uh…sorry. I never really watched much Veggitales. So, I’m lost. 😉

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@eden-anderson

My dear Madame:

I regret to inform you that I currently have no artwork to share with thee… I’ve designed a logo several years ago as my most recent graphic project but I can’t share due to copyright/whatever you call it reason, and unfortunately that company’s website is no longer available.

This has been a struggle for me to share with you with the utmost honesty, dear lady. *cries in tears*

However, I wish with my whole heart to invest more in this area once my time allows.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by PursueWisdom.

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~Th.Jefferson

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@pursuewisdom

*offers you a handkerchief*

There, there, dear girl, please don’t go on so or you’ll have me in tears myself soon. Oh, this is quite sad, but I understand. Madam, I really, truly understand. And these tears I cry…I shed them for you.

But we cannot be forever down cast. Tomorrow will come and with it a new chance. A chance to change, and to hope and to plan.

Perhaps, when you find the time, you will be able to once again invest in this beautiful art form. Whenever that time comes, whether it be near at hand or far in the future, know this: I wish you all the best!

*hug*

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@eden-anderson

I thank thee, most gracious lady! 🙂

(I don’t know about you… but I think I’m enjoying this too much :D)

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@pursuewisdom

*leaps into the air*

YAY!!!! YOU CAME BACK!!! 😀 (I haven’t seen you on the forum for awhile and I just kept on watching to see you get back on, because I missed you and now here you are!! *squeezes you tight*)

*cough*

Dearest madam, pray forgive that out burst. I was so overcome with joy that I could not contain myself. Please excuse me for my foolishness. I will try and remain calm. *sits down*

(Yes, I am having way to much fun with this too! 😉)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest