fb

My characters don't listen to me

Forums Fiction Characters My characters don't listen to me

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    KR LaLonde
    @kr-lalonde

Why does it say all this along with the title?

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Escape the Storm</span>

HAPPY WRITING!!

KR LaLonde
    @kr-lalonde

@kb-writer

Thanks. Writing things down sounds plausible. I’ve actually attempted doing it in the past. The problem is that no matter how often I do so, I will forget or just write something else. It’s like my brain has a mind of its own….

HAPPY WRITING!!

DragonGeek
    @dragongeek

Your style sounds a lot like mine. My advice is to make sure you know what their character arc will be–what their struggle is, and how they’ll change in that area before the end of the story. Build everything else around that, and feel free to leave things open to change along the way. The first draft is honestly where you discover a lot about your story, and character traits (as well as a lot of other things) will shift. That’s completely normal. Don’t feel that your characters have to be set in stone. Even the character arcs can change, but those are really the center of your story, so be careful if you decide that needs to happen. Otherwise, use them as a guide for everything else. As long as you keep an eye to your arcs, the rest will come more easily.

Fandoms: Narnia, LotR, Harry Potter, Marvel, MLP, Ranger's Apprentice, probably everything else

KR LaLonde
    @kr-lalonde

Hmm. Some good advice, @dragongeek. Thank you. I will certainly try to do as you’ve suggested.

HAPPY WRITING!!

KR LaLonde
    @kr-lalonde

I keep wanting to just read my stories. See them in book form. Skip all the long, drawn-out, complicated steps that exist in today’s world when it comes to getting something published.

If I could just get the idea of time running out out of my head, maybe I could actually get a full story written. I keep imagining the Lord’s return happening when I’m still in the middle of writing … and even though I have hours nearly every day to work on my stories … I haven’t had any success. None. :'(

HAPPY WRITING!!

Serenity
    @serenity

oh my word, @kr-lalonde! I know that feeling!

@dragongeek
    gave some really good advice, there… I am totally going to take those pointers for me!

*laughs , then tries to look serious*

not to steal the benefits or anything, just to learn with everybody else!

something else I usually end up doing is meeting my characters in the story (and I especially do this with my support roles, not so much with my leads) and then just letting them go where they will until I have a huge prolem with how they are developing. Honestly, even though it helps, you don’t have to know all of your characters – I mean, think about it. I don’t know the lady in the grocery store who has a toddler and looks really overwhelmed but still has made a mark on my life because of her patience with her child – all I know is how she relates to me. So even though you are the “author omniscient” (I often am not, but still), the reader doesn’t have to know everything about all the characters they come in contact with; just the ones that make a difference, and even then all they really have to know is enough to get them through the scene. Often, that isn’t very much, but if you do have the backstory, you could drop hints as to the history of the character we don’t know yet.

Overall, I guess that im trying to say don’t stress over it too much. There are lots of ways to meet your characters and to learn who they are, even if you change that later. As much as I like to let the story tell itself to me, don’t be afraid to step in, take charge, and say “listen up everybody. I’M the AUTHOR, which means I tell YOU what to do, AND YOU LISTEN. GOT IT?”

*snickers into sleeve*

I don’t usually have enough umph to do that, since its all in my own head, but hey, the effort is what counts. (=

lover of our Lord, words, and music as his writing tools
    ENTJ
    LOVES COOKIES, KNIVES, AND MUSIC!!!!

KR LaLonde
    @kr-lalonde

I really need to write some character stories so I can develop the character arcs. I know my characters only on the surface–made clear to me now. I wish I had one of them figured out 100% so I could develop the others through interactive stories (between them). :/ This is getting so complicated.

HAPPY WRITING!!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest