fb

My character is blind. Is my story doomed?

Forums Fiction Characters My character is blind. Is my story doomed?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

A blind character! I have a blind minor character in a book I’m writing. Writing characters who have some sort of handicap when it comes to communication and description is a great exercise for any writer. I had a book where there were two characters alone for most of it and one can’t talk. It was… interesting.

Anyway, I don’t have any grand thoughts. Just that I think it’s a cool idea and you should do it. If you use multiple povs, you could use some of them during a few of the scenes where she’s blind if there are things you really need to show.

Victory in the march. Hope in the destination.

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@morreafirebird A little late, but Katie Grace has written a book with a mostly blind character too, if I remember correctly. It was quite a while ago, but she might have some tips for you if you wanted to hit her up about it?

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@sarah-inkdragon thanks, I’ll check it out!

~ Khylie
    "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@hope-ann oh, that was Rose of the Oath, wasn’t it?! I loved Adrian so much 😀

*nods* I’m definitely considering adding another POV. Though I might use a third person perspective, as both my MCs are positively snarky and it might be hard to tell them apart in first person XD

~ Khylie

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@jane-maree nope, it’s perfect timing! I definitely might ask her about that. Thanks so much 😀

~ Khylie

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

Yeah, Adrian was fun. And I’ve done that with first person – having first person for one character and third for the others. Also fun to do. 😉

Victory in the march. Hope in the destination.

Filewriter
    @filewriter

*appears out of no where with a lot to say* @morreafirebird. OK, maybe not too much to say. Anyways, I was super interested when I saw this topic, because I myself have just started writing a new novel in which my MC is blind. My book is not first person view, but maybe some of my ramblings will be helpful to you. I personally like the change of the character and definitely do not think that your story is doomed.

Anyways, my MC, Regan, is blind, but he is also extremely talented. Like unrealistically so. Basically, he not only has sharper senses because he lost his sight, but he uses them to his advantage. It could be cool (and fun for you) if you did that. Not only show things threw your MC’s other senses, but show his she uses them.

I am not sure if I am making sense, so I will give you an example from my prologue. This might seem really unrealistic because my book is fantasy. So, Reagan (eleven at the time) is running to the house. He is able to run because they live in a wide clear prairie and he knows it very well. He keeps running, until he feels that he is no longer in the tall grass, but on harder ground. He stops, knowing that he is closer to the house, because the tall grass will not grow right be the house where everyone is walking. Then he reaches out his hands to feel for the walls.

See? But I think it also depends on where the character is. Like when Regan goes to the well to get water, and he is not familiar with the well because it is new, he walks slowly with his feet close to the ground so that when he reaches the well he will feel it with his foot first instead of banging into it with his while body.

Saddly, Regan is blind for the whole story. *gives her beloved character a sympathetic look*

Oh boy. Maybe that makes no sense whatsoever. I hope it does. From one risk taker to another. 😉 I hope to hear more about this character and her story.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@filewriter yes, that definitely made sense! And that’s a wonderful idea 😀 Right now my story is dystopian but with a lot of fantasy elements, so I could definitely add something like that. My MC does have a pretty good memory that allows her to remember the places she saw in her dreams. I’ll look in to giving her more unique abilities.

And it’s great to know my story isn’t doomed XD

~ Khylie

Aislinn Mollisong
    @aislinn-mollisong

In my second book, I’m going to have a blind MC named Brynn. But it’s kind of cheating because 1) She has wind powers and can “hear” what the wind “sees”, thus having a sort of Force-like effect. *shrugs* I’m working on it. And 2) She has a dragon that tells her what’s going on if she needs help.

Hero with an overactive imagination

Filewriter
    @filewriter

@morreafirebird, oh yay. I was hoping that it made sense and didn’t sound confusing. XD Your character sounds really cool. I wish you the best.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest