Music And Writing…Are You Musical?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Music And Writing…Are You Musical?

This topic contains 72 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Emberynus The Dragonslayer 28 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)
  • Author

Holly Anne
    @holly-anne

@everyone

Oh, also. If you haven’t heard of ‘The Giver’ the music is absolutely amazing!!! FYI πŸ™‚

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling" (Inception)
      Composer, Writer, Sarcastic πŸ˜‰

Trallion
      @trallion

@holly-anne

Really? That’s funny, because I kinda started with solo piano, but now I’m trying to learn more instrumental stuff like soundtracks as well! Do you compose by hand, or on the computer?

Writer, Composer, Runner, INFP-A.

Holly Anne
      @holly-anne

@r-m-archer

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of an ocarina before! I searched it up and it looks pretty fun! And LOTR music. I mean, that’s gotta be great lol πŸ™‚

R.M. Archer
        @r-m-archer

@holly-anne My dad has all sorts of instruments. XD Most of them are more mainstream, though. To me the ocarina is just out-of-the-ordinary enough to be interesting while still being easy-ish to play, lol.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Holly Anne
        @holly-anne

@trallion

That’s cool! It depends, I create my solo piano stuff mostly on our piano, but I actually do all the recording on a computer. But it has a keyboard connected etc. I use my dad’s music equipment: he is a composer so I just get to come along and use all of his sounds lol. Do you use a computer?

Holly Anne
          @holly-anne

@r-m-archer

That’s pretty cool! Our family has quite a lot of instruments between us all, but not really any unusual ones.

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
            @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@trallion

You’re welcome πŸ˜‰

You can't live for long living for nothing-Hector Griffin

@elisha-starquill

Cool! I listen to K-love and Air 1. I like Jeremy Camp too and I really like Austin French πŸ™‚ πŸ˜› ! I also like Kristian Stanfill, Chris Tomlin, Catie Hurst and SOME Owl City. . . who BTW has instrumental music. (I mostly just listen to his Christian music though, and then sometimes the instrumental)

@holly-anne

Nothing sweet. . . 17 years without- Chocolate? *stares blankly, gasps, faints*

Kayla Skywriter
                @kayla-skywriter

@ariella-newheart

Yes, Andrew Peterson’s stuff is great. I actually learned how to play Matthew’s Begots on guitar.

@holly-anne

Yes, guitar is great like that.

@elisha-starquill

I play all sorts of things. For piano I do some classical, some soundtracks, and sometimes a hymn. For example right now I’m playing My Heart Will Go On, a duet of the Avenger’s theme, Neaopolitan song from Swan Lake, and River Flows in You.

For guitar I play almost whatever I can find on the internet. Right now I’m learning a fingerstyle cover of Never Enough.

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

Kayla Skywriter
                  @kayla-skywriter

@banana-peacock-warrior

Yay, another guitar lover. Nylon or steel string?

@holly-anne @elisha-starquill

You can’t play chords? At all? What type of music to you play then?

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

Dakota
                    @dakota

@emberynus-the-dragonslayerΒ  *holds out a hand to help you off the floor.* (wow inspiring line) Chocolate isn’t my preferred sweet thing either you know, though I like my sugar free/ alternative sweetener version. But for me it would be nut butter or caramel any day ( if I could eat caramel)!

@ariella-newheart Yeah, I like most of Casting Crowns’s music. I really the newer song ‘Only Jesus’.

@holly-anne Yep, sometimes Caleb+Kelsey give me chills. But they do secular covers too. *sighs heavily* *looks up brightly* But I saw your post about your Dad being a composer. That’s really cool!! I did always dreamed of being able to compose . . . I’ve tried to make up melodies for the songs I write, but I’m having trouble training my ears to know a note when I hear it and am not playing it.

I have a recording software on a laptop, so I tinker around on that with my guitar and voice. Maybe I’ll get somewhere . . .

@trallion You play cello!!(and compose) COOL! That’s something else I’ve wanted to do for a while . . .Β  I will when I can afford a cello. Is it hard to play?

Psalm 119:11
                    Your word I have hidden in my heart,
                    That I might not sin against You.

Elisha Starquill
                    @elisha-starquill

@trallion – I know, compared to piano, my violin sounds so bad. But I’m in love with it played by people who actually know what they’re doing, so I put up with it. πŸ˜› Do you have a favorite composer for solo piano?

@holly-anne – Thanks, I will! Those are exactly my sentiments. xD Every time I hear flute I melt internally (especially that one clip in Rivendell from The Hobbit) and it’s basically the same for every instrument I see. On top of that, I want to buy a grand piano one day. So if you get a money tree, do let me know where you got it! It would be so helpful. πŸ˜›

Lol, yes, I hate bar chords. My long fingers help, but you know. Weak constitutions and all. πŸ˜› I haven’t tried using a capo before…it sounds like a miracle. *sighs dreamily* Hmm, I love almost everything by Debussy, and I’ve recently warmed up to Chopin. There’s also this piece for solo piano by Glinka and Balakirev called The Lark. It might be my soul-melody. πŸ˜‰ I play it every day and drive my little brother crazy. xD

Have you played any classical guitar music, like by Giuliani or Fernando Sor?

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer – Ooh, I’ve never heard of Austin French. I’ll go listen to him. And I’ve heard some of Owl City, which was pretty good, but to be on the safe side I’ll check out the instrumental stuff. πŸ˜‰

@kayla-skywriter – Wow, that’s a nice variety! I tend to just play classical stuff, or soundtracks if I’m in the mood. I forget if you’ve answered this already, but do you play steel stringed or nylon?

I can play chords, if they’re easy ones or they’re written out in notes, like for classical pieces. But if you told me to play an B minor chord, for example, I’d have to hunt around for the notes. πŸ˜›Β  I play classical guitar music, which is a lot of finger stuff. Right now I’m going through Fernando Sor’s Studies, and I recently finished one of Giuliani’s Etudes. Have you ever tried classical guitar?

INFJ ➳ Wanderess ➳ Trinstamentalist ➳ Thalassophile ➳ Chocolate Hater ➳ Daughter of God

@elisha-starquill Yay! Yes! Check out Austin French!

I LOVE Owl City’s music!!

@dakota *groans* you’re joining the dark side!

Anne of Lothlorien
                        @anne-of-lothlorien

Just thought I’d pop on here.

I’m musical too! *wildly waves hands* I’ve played the piano for twelve years and the violin for two weeks. (It sounds awful of course)

I love Peter Hollens, Owl City, Two Cellos, and Lord of the Rings music.

I also write songs. If I can figure out how to post videos or something, I might put one up.

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
                          No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+Β readersΒ answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest