Music And Writing…Are You Musical?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Music And Writing…Are You Musical?

This topic contains 72 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Emberynus The Dragonslayer 28 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • Author

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
    @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@ariella-newheart

Cool! LOL!! You know you’re someone’s fan when somebody mentions a song from that artist that you’ve never heard before and you have to go listen to it!! πŸ˜† like me with Owl City’s Christian stuff!!

@holly-anne Yeah. It’s just like ‘why?’ Why would you sing all that good stuff and then go secular stuff with bad lyrics. It’s always made me sad.

You can't live for long living for nothing-Hector Griffin

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

*finally gets around to actually commenting* Hi! I adore music and I’ve been singing in choir for about eleven years. My whole family is musical, which is really cool.

Writing music: Y’all have mentioned a lot of what I listen to. Owl City, Two Steps from Hell, Piano Guys… I also listen to some more secular stuff for certain stories where the tone fits the tone of the story; artists like Ruelle, Fall Out Boy, and Imagine Dragons. (I’d tread carefully with those first two; some of their music is fine, other songs aren’t so much. :P) But I really listen to a variety and it just depends on what story I’m writing and what songs match up with it well.

Music impacting writing: Music impacts my stories surprisingly little, considering they’re both such huge parts of my life, but I do have a decent number of musician characters, especially in my more recent stories. The main family in my current project, for instance, is full of musicians (a guitarist, a songwriter, a pianist, several singers…). For some reason writing music into my stories doesn’t come especially naturally to me, but I’ve been trying to incorporate it more lately.

@elisha-starquill Your world sounds EPIC! πŸ˜€

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

@r-m-archer

Cool! Owl City!! yay!!

I have heard of Fall Out Boy and Imagine Dragons, but never listened to them.

R.M. Archer
        @r-m-archer

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer Imagine Dragons’s music is really cool, and it tends to lend itself well to dramatic stories.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  R.M. Archer.

Elisha Starquill
        @elisha-starquill

@holly-anne – Yay, another writer who doesn’t like chocolate! A pleasure to meet you too!

Thank you so much!!! YES, abstract-ness is awesome. I have a dream to actually compose my main characters’ soul-melodies, but we’ll see how that goes. It’s a pretty stressful job to compose the musical fabrics of my characters’ souls. xD

Same with me, I play a classical, nylon-string guitar, because it was a MUCH cheaper alternative to learning the harp or lyre (two of the dreamiest instruments *sighs longingly*)Β  I can’t do steel-stringed guitar though, because I’m one of the few guitarists who’s terrible at chords. And my fingers have, erm, rather delicate constitutions. πŸ˜›

Do you have a favorite classical music composer?

@r-m-archer – Thank you!! Funnily enough, your situation is the opposite of mine. I can’t listen to music while I write (it’s too distracting) but it gets seeped into my stories. xD

Has anyone listened to Clamavi De Profundis?

INFJ ➳ Wanderess ➳ Trinstamentalist ➳ Thalassophile ➳ Chocolate Hater ➳ Daughter of God

@dakota YEAH! Caleb and Kelsey!

@elisha-starquill

Hi, is classical the only type you listen to?

You don’t-like-chocolate? *stares in horror* I couldn’t have lived to be fifteen without chocolate!!

@holly-anne

How did I miss this!! You don’t like chocolate? *faints*

Banana Peacock Warrior
          @banana-peacock-warrior

Whoops! It’s obviously been too long since I’m been on here… πŸ˜‰

@kayla-skywriter:

I’ve played the piano for about 5 years (I’m currently about to enroll in classical lessons) and I received my guitar for my birthday, last December, and have been taking lessons since January.

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer:

Of Austin French I’ve really only listened to Good Feeling, Wide Open, and In America(favorite).

@holly-anne:

YES Spotify is awesome! The playlist I listen to isn’t public. It’s just my compilation of classical music, worship instrumentals, and other random instrumentals. πŸ˜‰ LOL yes I am totally musical! I literally came up with The Clefs while I was fingering the keys on our piano and then I randomly thought, “what if each of these were alive?” Boom. The Clefs. XD

@elisha-starquill:

Wow, your fantasy world sounds AWESOME! I love it- so cool. I <3 Davatel already. πŸ˜‰

Thanks! It was totes so much fun to come up with all the names… and to add all kinds of little flourishes in there that only musicians would understand. πŸ˜‰ I just listened to that song you suggested! Super cool!

@holly-anne and @elisha-starquill:

You- you don’t- like- CHOCOLATE? No joke, chocolate is my LIFE. My dad works for a chocolate company; we have, like, 3 freezers in our house with chocolate in them- 2 to the max! We live on chocolate. If you don’tΒ buy eat chocolate, you’ll send my family to the streets! You don’t really want that do you? *5 year-old puppy eyes* XD Jkjk!

β€œWhen anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.”
            ‭‭Psalm‬ ‭94:19‬ ‭

@banana-peacock-warrior *gasps* you’ve got to hear Born Again, Freedom Hymn and, Why God!! They’re super good! I think Why God is my favorite, though I really like Born Again.

@trallion psst. . . thought you might be interested in this thread. πŸ™‚ πŸ˜›

R.M. Archer
                @r-m-archer

@ericawordsmith @noahlitle, I know y’all are musical. πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  R.M. Archer.

Trallion
                @trallion

Oooo, I hadn’t seen this XD Thanks for tagging me!

@everyone-else

Basically all the music I listen to when I’m writing is instrumental (like TSfH and BrunuhVille). I rarely, if ever, listen to lyrical music while I write (or any other time for that matter). However, music hasn’t had much impact on what I write.

As to whether I’m musical or not, the answer is yes! I’ve been playing piano for many years now, and recently picked up cello πŸ˜€

On another note (pun intended) I also recently started composing music which I LOVE! I’m still not very good at it (compared to “real” composers), but I still enjoy it XD

Writer, Composer, Runner, INFP-A.

Elisha Starquill
                @elisha-starquill

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer – Hi! I mostly listen to instrumental music, but while driving I listen to KLOVE, on which I prefer music by Jeremy Camp, Micah Taylor…and a bunch of others I can’t think of the names of right now. xD

You?

Nope, I don’t like chocolate. *smiles sweetly* And I’ve lived a glorious fifteen years without it (well, except for a few experimental tastes, all of which I regret. :P)

@banana-peacock-warrior – Thank you!!! I’m glad you like Davatel!

YES, I love adding things in my stories that only a select group of people will catch.

That is just too priceless! *falls dead in laughter* But don’t worry, I won’t be sending you to the streets any time soon. My brother and father make up for my lack of chocolate consumption. πŸ˜›

@trallion – Cool, I play piano too! And I recently started violin…which is so different than piano, but sort of like a mini-cello. πŸ˜‰ How do you like the cello so far?

INFJ ➳ Wanderess ➳ Trinstamentalist ➳ Thalassophile ➳ Chocolate Hater ➳ Daughter of God

Trallion
                @trallion

@elisha-starquill

Quite a bit! I looove the way it sounds… when I’m not the once playing it πŸ˜‰ I can sound so bad when practicing XD

Writer, Composer, Runner, INFP-A.

Holly Anne
                @holly-anne

Alright, now I will actually reply to all the comments on here lol. Sorry everyone for the delay XD

I know, it is pretty sad.

@r-m-archer

That’s so cool that you do choir! I have sung in a choir a few times and it was great fun! What kind of instruments do you play? I’ve heard of Imagine Dragons but I don’t think I’ve really listened to their stuff…yet.

@elisha-starquill

Composing your character’s melodies? *gasps* Wow that would be so cool! You’ll have to let me know if you do! I’d love to hear them! πŸ™‚ We used to have a small celtic harp…but it wasn’t that great. I adore harp though. I would just love to learn it. i always have so many instruments that I want to learn. Like, pretty much every single one I hear and like lol XD I should just buy a money tree sometime! That could help XD XD

*Pulls blank expression*

Chords? What are chords?

JK, I do know a fair amount but I am hopeless with bar chords. I started to use a capo recently. It’s a finger saver…literally lol. My fingers also have an…um…delicate constitution. XD I don’t listen to a huge amount of classical music, mostly soundtracks and contemporary stuff, but I do like Bach, oh and Schumann… and Chopin…and quite a few others from the Romantic era. HBU?

Miss Emberynus The Dragonslay…nevermind..Kenzie lol

*dumps bucket of water on you through the screen*

Would you faint again if I told you I don’t like ANYTHING remotely sweet?

Oops, probably shouldn’t have said that. I apologise to your family when they have to find you unconscious on the floor XD XD

Well, it’s true. Sad life….XD

@banana-peacock-warrior

Lol my family would LOVE to come to your house *shakes head at crowd of kids begging for a freezer full of chocolate*

Yeah, don’t think I’ll be putting you all out of business for a long time. My family more than makes up for my…um…dislike for sweet…things.

@trallion

Hi! Nice to meet you πŸ™‚

That’s neat that you play piano and chello! I have been playing piano for years too, and I have always wanted to play chello. We recently got lent one, but I haven’t really had much time to learn yet. You compose? That is so cool!!!

I also love composing!!! What kind of music do you enjoy composing? I would love to get into movie soundtracks, but at the moment I pretty much just do solo piano compositions.

@elisha-starquill @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

Oh, and I have regretted pretty much every single taste of chocolate *grimaces* Except for 100% dark chocolate…that was tolerable I suppose…yeah… not really actually. Lol.

@elisha-starquill @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

Well, I have lived ‘almost’ 17 years without chocolate and I’m doing totally fine.

Well, don’t ask my siblings…they have some unusual opinions about my state of mind XD Apparently anyone who doesn’t enjoy suger is definately insane. XD XD XP Not sure I agree….

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling" (Inception)
                  Composer, Writer, Sarcastic πŸ˜‰

R.M. Archer
                  @r-m-archer

@holly-anne I don’t play any instruments. Though my dad does have an ocarina that I’ve messed around with a few times and I’d like to learn to play at some point, particularly seeing as the one ocarina book we have in the house is LOTR music. XD

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+Β readersΒ answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest