Music And Writing…Are You Musical?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Music And Writing…Are You Musical?

This topic contains 72 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Emberynus The Dragonslayer 41 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author

Holly Anne
    @holly-anne

Hey all,

So I’ve kinda been seeing a trend on here. It seems like every other writer is also very musical. So, if you are also musical, what is your favourite album/music to listen to while you write? Also, how does your musical side affect your writing?

For example, with me, my music provides a whole load of inspiration for my writing and visa-Versa. It almost creates the world and scenery/setting/tone of what I’m writing. Good music is one of the things that makes me want to write, and also be able to put lots of feeling and emotion into my writing.

So, I thought it would be interesting to hear what you all say!!!

I’m gonna tag some of you all that I know are musical too…

BTW, feel free to tag anyone else who you know is musical too πŸ™‚

@abigail-rebekah, @kayla-skywriter, @r-m-archer @banana-peacock-warrior @selah-chelyah @august-grace @sailorj @anyone-else

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling" (Inception)
      Composer, Writer, Sarcastic πŸ˜‰

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
      @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@holly-anne

Hey!! This is a great idea!! Favorite music to listen to while writing. . . Owl city , For king and country, and piano guys. And any other songs that,are inspiring.

Alot of my characters are musical people. Alot of them play instruments or sing.

Many of my story/book inspirations came from my favorite songs. I can always come up with the ideas better when I’m listening to music.

Hey, anybody listen to Austin French?

@dakota

You can't live for long living for nothing-Hector Griffin

Banana Peacock Warrior
        @banana-peacock-warrior

@holly-anne: YES! Music! I just have a playlist on Spotify that I listen to while I’m writing- classical music and instrumental music, mainly. If I have music with lyrics playing while I’m writing I’ll find myself writing the words in the song!

Music DEFINITELY has an affect on my writing… I mean, I guess anyone can deduce that when you look at my WIP: The Clefs– people: keymatines that make music when they dance. Main character: Middle C. Allies: B Flat and E Sharp. Mentor: Great Maestro. Locations on Harmony Island: Melody Mountains, Pianissimo Point, Forte Forest, Staccato Valley, Legato Lagoon, River Adagio, and Crescendo Falls. Four tribes of people in my story: Trebles, Basses, Flats, and Sharps. Yeah- so music is a big part of my writing. πŸ˜€

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer: Yes, I have listened to a bit of Austin French for dance class!

β€œWhen anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.”
          ‭‭Psalm‬ ‭94:19‬ ‭

Kayla Skywriter
          @kayla-skywriter

@holly-anne

My favorite music to listen to while writing would be: Piano Guys, Soundtracks from almost anything, instrumentals of popular songs, Andrew Peterson, High Kings, and whatever song is stuck in my head.

I don’t know if the music I listen too affects my writing. However my love of music sometimes transfers to my characters, although not in my current WIP. I did once write a story idea down based on a track I listened to, but the title was more of an inspiration than the track itself.

@banana-peacock-warrior @emberynus-the-dragonslayer @anyone-else-who-joins-in

What instruments do you play, and why do you play that instrument? Also how long have you been playing?

I play piano and guitar, I also sing (I’m counting voice as an instrument).Β  Piano because it is a perfect first instrument and because my Mom has been teaching me since I was four. I play guitar because I really love stringed instruments, but there wasn’t anyone to give violin lessons, and I was five and for some reason wanted to play guitar. I sing Soprano because I can and I love doing it. I’ve been singing for as long as I can remember, playing piano for ten years, and playing guitar for nine.

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

@banana-peacock-warror

Cool what songs?

Ariella Newheart
              @ariella-newheart

@holly-anne I love listening to music! I don’t play any instruments though. (I tried learning flute and piano but neither worked out. πŸ™ ) My favorite music to listen to while writing are HTTYD or LotR soundtracks. There are some music compilations on Youtube by Pandora Journey that I listen to as well.

My musical side affects my writing by making me include poems, lullabies, and ballads in pretty much every book I’ve written. ;P

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer I love Owl City, For King & Country, and Austin French! “Freedom Hymn” is the theme song of one of my characters, actually. πŸ˜€

@kayla-skywriter Andrew Peterson’s music is wonderful! My favorites of his songs are probably “After the Last Tear Falls” and “Is He Worthy.”

Fantasy writer, obsessive editor, illustrator, citizen of Parimi Alca

*disappears into the shadows*

August Grace
              @august-grace

@holly-anne

I love listening to classical music like Bach, but also popular songs played on the cello, violin or piano. The piano guys are great too.

(btw I love the your idea for this post!)

Aussie contortionist, acrobat, photographer, filmmaker, runner, musician and health fanatic.

Selah
                @selah-chelyah

@holly-anne

Great topic! I love listening to music all the time, esp when I write. πŸ™‚

I love Two Steps From Hell, The Piano Guys, soundtracks, instrumental and epic music, etc… What are your favs?

"Get wet and sandy!" ~Instructor Reno
                "You will show respect!" ~The Bearded One

Holly Anne
                @holly-anne

Yes!!! I love the piano guys and For King And Country!!!

@banana-peacock-warrior
                  I listen to heaps of stuff of Spotify πŸ™‚ Is the playlist you listen to a public one? If so, what is its name? I love discovering new music πŸ™‚

I couldn’t remember if you had said you were musical but I was like ‘Hey, her book is all about musical characters, so how could she not be musical lol”

@kayla-skywriter

Yes I love soundtracks too! I especially love the music for Hacksaw Ridge. Oh, and I also love Andrew Peterson’s stuff πŸ™‚

I play Piano, guitar, cajon (box drum) and I did do violin for a couple years but I was pretty little so not very good πŸ™‚ Piano is my main instrument, and I just love playing it because it’s so dynamic and ’emotional’…I love composing pieces that are ‘melancholy’ ‘sad’ ‘miserable’ ’emotive’…you get the idea lol. JK I just like composing pretty and soundtrackish music πŸ™‚ Oh and I absolutely love guitar, and it’s just so easy to take anywhere and play anywhere, so that’s why I play that. Besides the fact that it is like one of my absolute favourite instruments.

@ariella-newheart

Nice to meet another fellow music-lover!!!

Yes, LOTR is really pretty music! Probably should know, but what does HTTYD stand for? *cringes and waits for the duh-I should-so-have-known-that-moment*

That’s really neat how you include music in your writing πŸ™‚ I never really thought of adding it in like that

@august-grace

I don’t listen to much classical music, but I do really like Bach :)Oh and COVERS!!! I love instrumental covers…like so much lol!!!

@selah-chelyah

Judging from how many people have said about them, I think a lot of us like the Piano Guys lol πŸ™‚ as I said to @kayla-skywriter I love Hacksaw Ridge and Murder on the Orient Express oh and i LOVE the Book Thief… All those kinda ones πŸ™‚ And I really like Anthem Lights, For King And Country, The Grey Havens etc etc lol.

@august-grace @emberynus-the-dragonslayer @selah-chelyah

Oh and thanks πŸ™‚ I thought it would be quite to connect some of us all πŸ™‚

@ariella-newheart AWESOME!! Owl city is my favorite and I LOVE Austin French. Have you heard his song ‘Why God’?

@holly-anne Did some one mention ANTHEM LIGHTS???!!!! How could I forget them!! I love their Christian covers. They have such amazing voices!! Especially Spencer. I just don’t like it when they sing all the secular stuff along with the Christian.

No prob!!! This was a great idea!!

Elisha Starquill
                    @elisha-starquill

@holly-anne – This is such a good topic! Music is a huge part of my life. I love listening to classical, orchestral stuff (especially Debussy and Tchaikovsky), LoTR/Narnia soundtracks and, of course, the Piano Guys (who knew? xD)

Music is quite possibly the foundation of my fantasy world. Davatel (God, basically) created the universe through music, so everything has its own tune, from rivers to forests to flowers to mountains etc. Each soul also has its own unique melody, which is how they can identify people they know, through hearing their presence. It’s kind of abstract, but music is abstract, and I love abstractness. xD

Just wondering, do you play a nylon-string guitar or an acoustic one?

@banana-peacock-warrior – Wow, you really do incorporate music into your writing! Those names literally made me tingle with excitement. I think I love Crescendo Falls the most, because it fits so perfectly with this passage from Ravel’s Une Barque sur L’Ocean. You should listen to it!

I might not have caught it, but do you play any instruments?

@kayla-skywriter – Ooh, nearly the same as me! I’ve also been playing piano for ten years, guitar for only three, and I just started learning violin a few months ago.Β  What type of music do you like to play?

INFJ ➳ Wanderess ➳ Trinstamentalist ➳ Thalassophile ➳ Chocolate Hater ➳ Daughter of God

Dakota
                    @dakota

@emberynus-the-dragonslayerΒ  Thanks for tagging me! I agree with you about Anthems Lights.

Hey, have you guys heard Caleb Grimm of Anthem Lights and his wife’s hymns and Christian covers?

I enjoy listening to music to be inspired but I don’t really listen to it while I write. If I did that, I’d be distracted with a different idea half way through!

I like most of the artists mentioned, For King and Country, Anthem Lights, Owl City, Piano Guys, all of the Austin French I’ve heard, Jeremy Camp, Casting Crowns and too many more to mention.

I play guitar and banjo. I started playing guitar five years ago and just picked banjo last fall. I really enjoy both.

@holly-anneΒ Β  Thanks for starting this thread!

Psalm 119:11
                    Your word I have hidden in my heart,
                    That I might not sin against You.

Selah
                    @selah-chelyah

@holly-anne

Yep, that is what I am seeing, as well. XD

"Get wet and sandy!" ~Instructor Reno
                    "You will show respect!" ~The Bearded One

Ariella Newheart
                    @ariella-newheart

@holly-anne HTTYD stands for the book and movie franchise How to Train Your Dragon. πŸ˜›

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer Just looked up that song! I really like it. πŸ™‚

@dakota Casting Crowns is awesome! I don’t hear that name very much anymore but I grew up listening to their songs.

Fantasy writer, obsessive editor, illustrator, citizen of Parimi Alca

*disappears into the shadows*

Holly Anne
                    @holly-anne

YES!!! I love their Christian stuff. And their voices are amazing. Yeah, he has a really good voice!!! I know, it frustrates me when they do that. I mean I don’t mind the secular songs that are good, but when they’re questionable ones that’s kinda sad.

@elisha-starquill

Hey! Nice to meet you πŸ™‚

Haha, who doesn’t like Piano Guys?!?!

Your WIP sounds so cool! I LOVE abstract stuff, like the more abstract the better lol. And music, and people having their own melodies etc! I LOVE it!!!

It depends on what I’m playing. My dad has a steel-stringed guitar that I play if I’m doing songs with other people etc, but if I’m doing finger-picking then I play my own guitar which is a classical acoustic 3/4 size… cause I was too small for a normal size lol.

HBU?

@dakota

I have heard some of Caleb and Kelsey’s stuff. I like them!!!

@selah-chelyah

haha yep XD XD XD

@ariella-newheart

*groans and slinks out of the room*

Duh I should have known that lol. XD Yes, I like that music too πŸ™‚

@elisha-starquill

I just saw your signature!!! *high-fives* I am a fellow chocolate hater lol XD XD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+Β readersΒ answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest