fb

Murderous Monsters…AKA Fiction Writers.

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Murderous Monsters…AKA Fiction Writers.

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

TO ALL OF US WHO FIND EXTREME SATISFACTION IN KILLING, TORTURING AND JUST BEING COMPLETE JERKS TO OUR CHARACTERS.

This is the place where we villains get to hang out and talk about being rotten to our characters-breaking their bones, and killing them and all that good stuff. *cracks knuckles and grins evilly*

Because c’mon, admit it, I’m not the only one who enjoys plaguing the life out of my characters…you too find a certain sense of pleasure in beating, bruising, busting, bombing, booby-trapping, and breaking your characters.

There’s a sense of *cough* enjoyment in it.

And yes, that makes us evil. Murderous monsters and heartless hooligans. That’s what we are. No point in trying to avoiding the hard cold truth.

So, to start off this “lovely” discussion I have 3 questions:

1. How do you write realistic, well done deaths? We’ve all read those cheesy death scenes…those lame, unrealistic ones that make us cringe and not from all the blood either. How do we keep our deaths from becoming cliche and boring?

2. What’s one of the craziest ways that you’ve ever killed or tortured or was just really mean to a character? (This should be fun…😉)

3. What book have you read that portrayed the death of a character well?

And in the case that I am in fact the only wacko person on this forum who enjoys killing their characters…well, I guess this thread will just die (pun intended 😛) and hopefully no one reports me to any of the “higher ups” on here.

@kari-karast
    @sarah-inkdragon @i-david @catwing @ericawordsmith @theinconceivable1 @wordsmith @evelyn @seekjustice @samantha-pen @chalice

If I tag you please do not immediately assume that I think you are one of us horrible, character-killing crazies…just assume that I tagged you because I know you and thought you MIGHT be one of us…I don’t actually know for sure. So, if you are sane, and kind, and could never even think of hurting your characters…well…uh…sorry.

And if any of you know of other certain individuals who are fellow crazies please call them on over here…I’d love to meet them!

LET THE FUN BEGIN!!

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Haha! This is always a hilarious topic. xD

I was just talking about this the other day with @trufflehunter 🙂

To answer you questions though…

1. I have yet to do that. Advice anyone? XD

2. Emotionally or physically? >:) *rubs hands together*

3. Hmm… Wingfeather Saga *spoilers* at the very end when *cough* someone dies. So good! <3

And how could I not mention The Book Thief? *breaks down sobbing*

😉

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@eden-anderson

*glances around to make sure no one is watching* *sneaks in*

Do I torture and kill characters? I will neither confirm nor deny.

How to do a good death scene? Put real emotion into it (and for goodness sakes, never bring the character back to life! Looking at you, Marvel!)

The craziest way I’ve tortured a character? Put my deposed king into a gladiator arena and forced him to make speeches.

I can think of a number of books that did good death scenes. A Tale of Two Cities immediately comes to mind, The Lord of the Rings (though, blasphemy I know, I preferred Boromir’s death scene in the movie to the book), the Once series by Morris Gleitzman. In The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (one of my favourite books), there’s not so much of an actual death scene, but the story revolves around the death of one of the main characters, and I thought it was handled really well.

I can also give you some examples of bad deaths… Murtagh in Eragon (or Eldest, I forget which), every single death in Caraval (I really enjoyed that book until it came to all the deaths…then I hated it. Super disappointing. If you want spoilers, I can give you spoilers. If you’ve already read it, then you might know what I mean), almost every death ever in Marvel (I’ve seen so many people raving about how much they cried in Infinity War, but the only death that really made me sad was Vision’s. I don’t know why, I grew quite attached to him during the movies, and he’s the only one I’m not fairly certain is coming back). Actually, superhero movies in general do bad death scenes.

And that’s my rant for today.

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Evelyn
    @evelyn

never bring the character back to life!

Amen! Preach it!

😉

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@evelyn

You mean I’m not the only one!!!! *does happy little dance*

1. I have yet to do that. Advice anyone? XD

Uh…hehe…same here. That’s one of the reasons I asked.

2. Emotionally or physically? >:) *rubs hands together*

Both…either or. 😛 There are no rules here, my friend.

I didn’t actually really like Janner’s death…it didn’t feel real for me. I do really like the books though! I heard the Book Thief is REALLY good. It’s on my to-read list.

@seekjustice

Ahhh, so another joins our ranks. Welcome, comrade!

C’mon confirm it! You know you want to. 😛

The craziest way I’ve tortured a character? Put my deposed king into a gladiator arena and forced him to make speeches.

I laughed so hard about this. That’s horrible…and kinda funny.

Yes! Boromir’s death IS better in the movie! I bawl every time I watch it and I didn’t cry at all in the book. My sister just read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and she raved about it. This is also on my to-read list. 😀 So many books and so little time…#bookwormprobs

Thank you for ranting…I have scientific proof that is relieves stress and helps your brain produce happy feelings…okay, not really.

I guess I should answer my own questions…

1. Uhhh…well, I’ve written deaths…but not good ones. Ones that make you groan, and cringe and want to go burn a building down. *shivers* So, I asked this question because I really don’t know and thought maybe I could pick ya’ll’s nerdy little brains. 😀

2. Hehe…this isn’t really crazy but…my MC and these bad guys are running through the woods on these sort of bridge things that hang from the trees and connect together. The chasers don’t realize that the MC is wearing a line that connects him to a cable hidden in the top of the trees…kinda like a zip-line.  So they are running along and all of a sudden there is a big gap between two of the bridges…and of course my MC doesn’t stop, just jumps right off the end and is zip-lined across to the next bridge. Unfortunately, the bad guys don’t see it and keep charging right ahead and before they know what’s happening they are falling through the air at a rather alarming rate. *ouch* I don’t think that felt very good. So, that’s not crazy…but whatever.

3. Lord of the Rings,(duh) Robin Hood, (*cries*) The Last of the Mohicans (*bawls*) and Almost Autumn. (*tissues please*) In my opinion, if the death of a character makes me cry, it’s well done. 😀

Samantha Farrar
    @samantha-pen

Seriously, I have plans to write about a poem about the protaganist fighting against the writer towards his goal. Les Miserables obviously it was so sad when he died and there was a few other well written deaths in there. I hate to hurt my character but I love to write scenes that are hard on them because I like molding my characters into better people. I hope that makes sense 🙂

@evelyn

you read the wingfeather saga??? I wasn’t super into to it till the third one(I haven’t read the fourth) but that one was soooo good. The guy who wrote them was actually a guest speaker at the oyan camp this year. I didn’t go but I thought it was super cool!!!!

*A passionate ENFP author, in training for Christ.*

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

(and for goodness sakes, never bring the character back to life! Looking at you, Marvel!)

I’ll remember that, @seekjustice 👍 Thanks for the advice!

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@samantha-pen

Hey! Welcome to the land of the crazies!!

I hate to hurt my character but I love to write scenes that are hard on them because I like molding my characters into better people. I hope that makes sense

Yeah, that makes sense…I feel the same way sometimes. For the most part hurting my characters can be kind a fun…but sometimes, killing them feels like your tearing off one of your own limbs. I think especially about a certain guy I created recently. *sobs into pillow*

I forgot about Les Mis! Yeah, Victor Hugo does a really good job!!

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@samantha-pen Yes! Big fan, though at this age I probably wouldn’t get through the first two, I like the last ones! 🙂

@eden-anderson
    I forgot about The Last of the Mohicans! I wanted to scream at the girl, the younger sister, at the end I was so heartbroken. And when the guy was shot in the fire… *sobs* My heart broke from sorrow and love at the same time. <3

I mean, I hated that character until the very end. And… wow. Just wow. XD

And Les Mis… don’t even get me started… I started crying at Stars and didn’t stop until a couple hours after the movie ended, I was so sad and moved. 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Evelyn.
    Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@eden-anderson

It was cruel…since my deposed king (who’s not actually deposed yet, so shush…he mustn’t know what’s going to happen to him), has a severe stammer and has lived in terror of making speeches his whole life. However, the way he handles himself in the arena actually makes his enemies (his former subjects) proud of him 🙂

That book is the awesomest. I read it twice within the space of a week and a half.

My sister read a Robin Hood book (Outlaw by Michael Morpurgo) and then swore never to read another Robin Hood book again because she hated the way he died 😛

@Samantha-pen
    Who do you mean when you say “he”? Les Mis is full of all the most tragic deaths in literary history. One of the saddest, for me, is Gavroche. *sobs*, but my favourite in terms of…I don’t know…triumph or something is Enjolras and Grantaire dying together. I used that scene in my Les Mis retelling to great effect.

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@evelyn

I just saw a production of Les Mis last week and I almost started crying during A Little Fall of Rain, because of the way Grantaire was comforting Gavroche as Eponine died. and then, after Eponine was dead, Grantaire went and got Eponine’s hat and gave it to Gavroche, who then put it on and wore until his own death…

Honestly, Gavroche and Grantaire are the cutest and saddest pair ever.

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@seekjustice That song is so sad.

But then again most of the songs in that movie are. xD

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@evelyn

Les Mis…*starts weeping…because, seriously, ALL THE FEELS!*

*sobs uncontrollably*

@seekjustice

Oh, that is hilarious!!! And by the way, your books…series…things look SUPER interesting!!! I  *cough* stalked your blog and I love your descriptions of your books and the collages and everything. Are you gonna publish soon? *looks around hopefully*

Tell your unfortunate sister that she REALLY MUST read Paul Creswick’s adaption of Robin Hood. It’s so beautiful! I utterly adore it…although his death is really sad.

I just saw a production of Les Mis last week and I almost started crying during A Little Fall of Rain, because of the way Grantaire was comforting Gavroche as Eponine died. and then, after Eponine was dead, Grantaire went and got Eponine’s hat and gave it to Gavroche, who then put it on and wore until his own death… Honestly, Gavroche and Grantaire are the cutest and saddest pair ever.

Stop! STOP!! Oh, please…please! *weeps* 😭😭😭 (A Little Fall of Rain…is SO sad.)

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@seekjustice I missed your earlier comment about the Infinity Wars.

I did not cry at the end. At all.

I was kind of rolling my eyes. Yeah, right they’re all coming back.

The only one at the end that saddened me was Bucky. I know people who don’t like him… but I loved his brother like relationship with Cap.

The death I did cry at was Loki’s.

*sobs*

Most people don’t get me on that one, but I really liked him… I’ll spare you the rant though. 😛 xD

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Evelyn.
    Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@eden-Anderson

Why thank you! I doubt I’ll be publishing soon, but I’m about to embark on the third draft some time in either Dec or Jan, and after that I’ll be needing some beta readers…. 😉

I know, it’s too sad…Victor Hugo really had issues 😛

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest