fb

Multiple protagonists/Book with no climax?

Forums Fiction Characters Multiple protagonists/Book with no climax?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Samuel
    @samuel

So I have two questions here.

In my book, I have written in I think 6 protagonists. There are also quite a few side characters. This book was written before I actually started to learn creative writing, i.e. before I knew about structure, characterization, etc. Those things all kind of just came, but not as well as they should have and the book’s pretty eh. Anyway.

So I’m writing the sequel now, from an ‘educated’ perspective, and now I’m trying to ‘fix’, per se, what I did wrong in the first book and flesh out my characters, give it better structure, etc. I also want to try to make it a sequel but also make it to where it could be stand-alone. So does anyone have any tips for handling this many characters, especially when most of them are in different places?

So that’s the first one. The second is that this first book, along with not having very good structure, also does not really have a climax or denouement. It is mostly just setting everything up for the sequel, putting characters where they need to be, starting Book II’s plot, etc.

Is this bad? Are there any other books out there like this? I know Lord of the Rings was kind of like that, but not entirely because you had the battle at the end of book 1 and Frodo leaving, and Helm’s Deep battle in book 2. But is it ‘legal’ to set up a book with another book?

No one reads these anyway

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

Beeeeeeee careful.

I’ve struggled a lot with balancing different characters all at once, and what’s more, I’ve read books where the author attempted to do this and failed. I’m not going to tell you that having so many protagonists is wrong, because if you can do it well, than go for it. But I am going to warn you: not balancing your protagonists risks losing a lot of character development, which can cause the characters and their arcs to fall flat. And that would be sad.

As for your book/sequel problem…does it have to be two books? Writing an entire book just for the sake of setting up a sequel seems like a lot of work. Is there a way you can condense the plot to prevent this?

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Samuel
    @samuel

@elizabeth Well, it WOULD be possible to go back and fix it…But like I said I had little (valuable) writing education at the time, so I didn’t see anything wrong with it until AFTER it was into the self-publishing process. I know, big mistake…I may have to write a second edition later assuming it doesn’t sell well (which I’m hoping it does so I CAN rewrite). It really doesn’t have to be two books, but again this was before I really knew anything about anything. It’s not a HORRIBLE book, I’ve had eight years of writing experience and ten years of reading, but it could have used a LOT more work. Now that I think about it, it probably should have gone into one book, but if it had it would have been long.

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

Okay…do you have any more questions, then?

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Samuel
    @samuel

@elizabeth I always have questions…

As far as characterization goes, what do you think of “merging” characters, i.e. a brother and sister, with two different personalities yet almost like one protagonist, instead of making one or the other seem like an important side character?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.