fb

Mini Prompt Wars

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Mini Prompt Wars

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

You got it when you say it’s crazy, though. I just killed off a character I had in there…everybody was mad at me. XD

Yes. Yes you who killed off Qatar!!! Yes!

Cathy: Gender…I can’t decide. It seems like it should be male, but I’m guessing female

Ohhh, that is a verrry good guess!!! Because. The character is a gender-fluid girl (😈)

(okok, my current WIP addresses a lot of gender dysphoria and sexual divergence through a Christian perspective so I wanted to test to see if my queer character were still well-rounded and identifiable so I didn’t fall into stereotyping and ruin the authenticity of the themes XD)

Weelp!!! I guess that makes you the winner @noah-cochran!!! 🥳🥳🥳CONGRADULATIONS AND NOW YOU HAVE TO THROW OUT A NEW PROMPT FOR NEW PARTICIPATES!!!!!!! 🥳🥳🥳 T’was an honor to do battle! *sweeping bow*

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@noah-cochran Congrats, Noah! Honestly, if I wasn’t competing, I would have voted for you myself too. 😂 Yes, please post a new prompt for us, we await your challenge.

@emily-waldorf
     Yes, since at least two judges agree, I’d say the judging is final and this contest is officially over! Thank you to you and Erynne. If you were tagged to be a judge, and haven’t responded, well, you snooze you lose I guess…😜 Sorry, that’s kinda snarky.

Anyway, @calidris , @erynne , @Emma-walker , @Emily-waldorf , whoever else, do you want to join in this next one?   I don’t know if I myself will have time to join, but I’ll definitely be willing to a judge!

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@noah-cohran Oh, and tell us if we were right.  I would have guessed girl, too.

Yup, mine was a female.

@this-is-not-an-alien
     Ooh, that would explain a lot. 😮

The character is a gender-fluid girl (okok, my current WIP addresses a lot of gender dysphoria and sexual divergence through a Christian perspective so I wanted to test to see if my queer character were still well-rounded and identifiable so I didn’t fall into stereotyping and ruin the authenticity of the themes XD)

I actually would have guessed male? 😬 🤷🏻‍♀️  But if you’re going for a genderfluid person with a lot of obvious emotional trauma, well done. xD

I want to hear more about your WIP. So what influenced you to tackle this subject from a Christian perspective?  What’s your novel’s premise?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Sure, I think I’ll have time to join in. Thanks for offering. 🙂

Hier steche ich. Ich kann nicht anders. Gott helfe mir. Amen. ~Martin Luther

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@k-a-grey possibly could

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

I actually would have guessed male? 😬 🤷🏻‍♀️  But if you’re going for a genderfluid person with a lot of obvious emotional trauma, well done. xD I want to hear more about your WIP. So what influenced you to tackle this subject from a Christian perspective?  What’s your novel’s premise?

LOL!! In that scene she was presenting as male, in the flashback she was presenting as female even though she usually fights as a man because a child was involved and momma-bear was activated XD

My WIP is a high-fantasy psychological thriller about a fugitive prince, Alessio, with Complex-Post Traumatic Stress Disorder born with pyrokinesis at time where people with special powers are a hated subclass due to a recent time past where these people were highly respected kinda superheroes but some of them inevitably abused their powers and were overthrown entirely (…long story there XD) There plot is a web of puzzles slowly digging into Alessio’s mysterious past and disappearance from his home kingdom at fourteen even as we follow Alessio’s desperate journey following a trail of historical remnants to find a lost Temple for his own last-hope plan while trying to stay one step ahead of an occult secret-guild bent on his capture.

Primarily, the themes revolve around addressing trauma and abuse, particularly psychological abuse, and self-injury. It plans to dig into what’s right and wrong under high duress, what is love vs manipulation, co-dependency, and emotional abuse, and how does someone realistically recover from that kind of trauma? It explores the value of every life, it explores choice and respect for other peoples’ decisions poking at the question how far do you respect someone’s choices even if they’re hurting themselves as well as how far do you take trying to save someone who doesn’t choose to be saved?

I’ve been asked before why I tackle this subject and I always end up giving a slightly different answer because I don’t really know, it just came very naturally…

I started this story when I was thirteen and struggling with depression and anxiety. I just started writing I didn’t outline or anything I just wrote every day obsessively because it got a lot of my issues out of my system and articulated what was going on in my head. It began with a bounty-hunter being the MC but I ended up pouring a lot more of my soul into Alessio and developing him more and as I got older I started to realize a lot of my characters were actually kinda queer and people I knew were beginning to “come out” to me and I was always having trouble connecting with other girls; I tend to feel very guyish around girls and girly around guys and I want very deep connections with other people but I don’t get crushes and don’t have any interest in romance. Turns out I’m some brand of asexual nonbinary which I’m pretty cool with, it’s not like I wanna change my pronouns or anything lol.

So the characters kinda developed naturally and I just started researching it for no real reason except everyone talked about it and I can’t abide just “having an opinion” I have to own it I have to research every angle and prove it to me before I can talk about it. So that happened, it was kinda off and on I don’t actually devote hours to studying every random thi–no wait, actually I do, I do devote hours to studying every random belief that qualifies as a “core” belief or else I can’t accept it I physically can’t.

Then my best friend started supporting lgbtq+ and renounced Christianity. We had some…we’d already been having some rough patches and we struggled for a while and right now we agreed to keep some distance for a while…

So I’ve had a lot of exposure to those ideas and I’m pretty critical of both sides of the argument; on the one side this idea that people in the lgbtq+ community are somehow less moral or less human or real than other people. And on the other side that this is the way things should be because it’s something that happens. I don’t believe trying to change gender is truthful or that same-sex marriages are marriages. But all to often it’s an “us and them” scenario, so much stereotyping and hate on both sides really. It’s something I’m grappling with; so it’s something I write 🙂

Oh, actually I was just wrapping up a round of beta alpha-reading for the first part of this draft. I’m gonna work with the feedback I’ve gotten and redraft “Act 1” and I’ll want another couple readers…optimistically next March but very possibly not until next Christmas. But if you want, I can jot down your name for that and tell you when it’s ready?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Yes. Yes you who killed off Qatar!!! Yes!

Go read my latest posts, my dear resident stalker. It should make you feel better about the whole thing, even if you are still mad at me. 🙂 (Gotta say, the author in me loves that reaction though. XD)

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@this-is-not-an-alien  Yes, I’m willing to help if you’d like!  I’m interested in some of these issues myself, so I’m curious to see how you presented them in fiction.  I should probably let you know beforehand though, that I consider myself to be very conservative in my beliefs, so if I don’t eye-to-eye with you on some topics, I’ll still try to be respectful of your stances.  And yes, I agree that lgbtq people should be treated with respect and dignity as human beings, even if we don’t agree with their beliefs.  As a Christian, I can’t condone their behavior, but I’m not gonna blast them all to H-E-double-hockey-sticks either.  I think this community needs to be reached with God’s love if they’re ever going to see who God created and designed them to be. This community seems to have a lot of confused, hurting people who don’t know who they are anymore, because the world tells them they can be anything, while at the same time pressuring them to become something they were never meant to be.  As for representing these people in fiction, I think great care needs to be taken when writing from a Christian perspective.  I don’t think they should be held up as our role models, but I also think that done carefully, they can show the brokenness of humanity and our need for a Savior just as much as any other character regardless of gender identity, race, etc. Because we all need Jesus.

Whew, I’m rambling, sorry about that😅 This thread gets more complicated by the second

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@this-is-not-an-alien

First off, you were right, the character was a young woman named Talia.

However, and I should mention all three of you @k-a-grey @erynne @emily-waldorf here too, my crazy mind told me that I was not only supposed to not use gender-specific pronouns, but that I was also supposed to intentionally obfuscate what their gender was. So I proceeded to write a piece that intentionally tried to hide that the character was a girl. So Erynne and Emily, it was a girl not a boy, Grey and Cathy were right, but forgive my delusions.

I’m glad you judges liked my writing though! I’m honored.

Weelp!!! I guess that makes you the winner @noah-cochran!!! 🥳🥳🥳CONGRADULATIONS AND NOW YOU HAVE TO THROW OUT A NEW PROMPT FOR NEW PARTICIPATES!!!!!!! 🥳🥳🥳 T’was an honor to do battle! *sweeping bow*

Thanks, I enjoyed it. It got my writing juices flowing, and I’m going to need them as I get back into it this week.

I suppose I can come up with a new prompt if you really want me to, but I won’t be able to enter–busy life and all.

@k-a-grey

Congrats, Noah! Honestly, if I wasn’t competing, I would have voted for you myself too. 😂 Yes, please post a new prompt for us, we await your challenge.

Thanks! I appreciate! I enjoyed yours as well.

Alright, here’s a prompt, but I won’t be able to enter myself, y’all have fun though. I’ll check back sometime to see what happened. Prompt:

Write an argument with at least three characters taking part in the argument.

Describe the room or location where the argument is taking place in well.

Have at least one character who starts to lose control of their emotions during the argument (or does lose control of them)

Show introspection from the PoV character about their argument (and why they’re right) and introspection on the other two+ participates and their arguments

There ya go! Have fun y’all!

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@noah-cochran  Ooh, that’s a good prompt.  I’d love to join, but I’ll probably be busy, and seeing how the first one went, I think there should always be one of us who can commit to being a judge, so..I’ll be a judge for this round.😁  The rest of you, have fun, and may the best one win!

Also, you don’t have to, but maybe you can decide on a deadline among yourselves too. Maybe like 48 hrs if 24 is too short?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Okay, here’s my piece on Noah’s prompt. Am I supposed to tag someone to judge?

500 words on the nose.

Lila’s shrew-voice and Conrad’s breaking squeak tumbled in from the next room. I rolled my eyes. Them again.

I looked around at the olive walls stenciled with burnt-orange vines and at the heavy drapes that managed to clash with both colors.

This room sucked away light faster than a cobra swallows his breakfast. First thing I would do when it was legally mine—get rid of those drapes. And the faux foliage. There was so much it looked like a jungle.

Conrad’s creaked and broke as he appeared in the doorway. Lila’s shrilling wasn’t far behind.

“If you would just put them away when you’re done, I wouldn’t have to bother you!”

Lila. Looking for the coffee filters. Of course.

Conrad bumped into a fake tree, bringing dusty leaves down into his tousled hair.

“Who likes the stuff anyway?” He made an elaborate choking noise.

“Gross!”

I agreed with Lila for once. I cleared my throat, to let them know that I was here. She shot me a glance full of daggers. “You don’t have to laugh. We all know you despise the ‘family drama’.”

That time I did laugh.

Conrad turned and flashed a grin, clearly viewing me as an ally. This was getting out of hand.

“Look, you two. Do you have to argue about the coffee filters every morning?”

“There she goes again. Little miss Mommy to everybody that’s younger than she is, even if it is only by fifteen minutes.”

Lila was forever reminding me that she was my junior by a quarter-hour.

“I wasn’t being little miss Mommy. I mean, coffee filters are kind of a dumb thing to fight about, don’t you think?”

“How would you know? All you drink is that horrible vinegar stuff.” She turned suddenly on Conrad and mimicked my voice. “When this house is legally hers, she’ll make us all give up our ‘poor health choices.”

Conrad held his stomach and groaned. “We’ll never get anything for breakfast but oatmeal with Stevia on it!”

“Oh, cut it out.” I turned to Lila and tried to keep the frustration out of my voice. “I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: if you want to ruin your health, that’s your business.”

“Watch, she’ll say that right up until all the legal stuff is done and it’s all her house.”

It wasn’t my fault they’d left the house in my name.

I set my jaw.

“Lena’s mad. Lena’s ma—ad.”

I whirled on him. “Quiet!”

His eyes twinkled and he whispered, “Lena’s ma—ad.”

“Will you shut up!” I snarled.

He swallowed his next tease stared at me. His bottom lib started trembling.

“Now look what you did,” piped Lila, wrapping her arms around Conrad and shooting me an accusing glance.

“As if you weren’t just shouting at him for hiding your precious coffee filters!” I turned to Conrad and tried to sound like Mom.

“I still love you, but—”

Conrad burst into tears and ran out of the room.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

@emily-waldorf

I tag myself as judge and nobody can stop me!!! 😁 I also need somebody to volunteer to compete with Emily’s awesome submission!

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@this-is-not-an-alien I’ll be the other judge! I might tag Noah to be a backup judge later too.

@emma-walker
    @erynne @calidris @joelle-stone @winter_rose @anyoneelse

Hey, do you want to join this prompt?

The dealine is tomorrow night. Preferably. 500 words or less, and no peeking at the other contestant’s work until you submit your own.

Here’s the original prompt in case you missed it:

Write an argument with at least three characters taking part in the argument.

Describe the room or location where the argument is taking place in well.

Have at least one character who starts to lose control of their emotions during the argument (or does lose control of them)

Show introspection from the PoV character about their argument (and why they’re right) and introspection on the other two+ participates and their arguments.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

oof, sorry but I don’t think I’ll be able to join. 🙁 Tag me for the next one!!!

https://thepeninspired.wordpress.com

Winter Rose
    @winter_rose

@k-a-grey

I’d like to join!

But… I’m not exactly sure how I can show introspection from more than one person’s PoV. Should I switch viewpoints or something like that?

What I know in my head and what I believe in my heart are two entirely different things.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest