fb

Mini Prompt Wars

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Mini Prompt Wars

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Erynne
    @erynne

@Noah-Cochran

Well that was hilarious to read 😂

You don’t have to hide their emotions at all. Just their gender.

I think Cathy is a wee bit confused

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

*sigh* I’m quite busy Cathy, but for you, I’ll do this once.

Perfect!

I’m awful and you’re a lady? That’s an interesting sentence–to say the least.

*faceplants on the desk* “you’re awful at lady’s POVs” Cease your impudence and act like I said it right the first time!

You don’t have to hide their emotions at all. Just their gender. I think Cathy is a wee bit confused

Blah. 👻

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Ok! I have a submission!!!! Just under 500 words: 499, to be exact XD

***WARNING: people writing on this prompt are not allowed to view other person’s submission until after they submit***

It’s a bloody mess. All over the curtains, the hall, the council members cuddling against the long bloody table.

I’m used to blood; it’s not a problem really. The only problem really is, I’m the only one who can see it because it’s not here. Most of the blood is pooled right below me, above the knee of my stiff, hollow excuse for a new leg that drags like dead weight under me.

Leander, he told me I need to rest after everything but you know I’m not a sideliner.

So. Here I am, center a devil’s cursed council glaring down our apparent ‘King’ Leander, as we go through the politics where everyone knows I’m as guilty as sin but nobody wants it to come out. Watch him take a slow, level breath, willfully ignoring the utter hatred in my eyes.

“Today, the council decides whether representative of the Sioan Tribes, Sloane, adoptive child of the arinel, is guilty of the attempted assassination of our..trusted royal advisor and former council member.” He says, deliberately.

Every word is slow and controlled, except “trusted” has the barest edge of bitter irony that he doesn’t keep quite in check. I might’ve been sympathetic if he hadn’t allowed it just like the rest of them. My leg’s stump is burning but I’m not about to sit beside these people. So I just stare above King Leander’s forehead, at the hot, trickling blood saturating his charcoal hair.

‘Just nod and smirk through the whole thing. Nobody will convict you.’ I lean back against the wall, cross my arms and smirk coolly at the eyes turning toward me. I know my knuckles are white squeezing my arms.

“It was an accident.” I lie, not even pretending it’s not a lie. What was an accident was letting him escape down the palace hall, drenched in blood, leaving me in a pool of my own blood, staring at a severed leg that just happened to be mine.

‘You sick little devil!’ I spat at him. ‘I read it, I read everything you did to them, you bastard!’

And you know what he did? He just smiled, smiled like a bemused ghostly apparition.

What did I do? I jumped him with two swords and a bad temper and the only thing I regret is I didn’t kill him. But he’s not coming back, I can promise.

“Please explain,” One stupid old crone says sickly “how you ‘accidentally’ stab the King’s royal advisor?”

Thought he was you. I barely have the self-restraint not to tell him that. Instead I just narrow my mismatched eyes at him. We’ve gone over this story, Leander and I.

“It was dark, and I’d heard about the widigo spooks going about,” I shrug indifferently “guess he looked a little…unnatural, creeping around the halls in the middle of the night.”

The mockery in my voice is unmistakable but it’s the least I can do. Let someone hurt a child you deserve everything coming for you.

***Submission End***

I tag somebody to judge now and Noah tags somebody else?

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@this-is-not-an-alien

So you’re saying that I’m supposed to hide the character’s sex by using “they” instead of “he or she?” Or am I being forced to write in first person?

you’re awful at lady’s POVs

If I’m writing in a lady’ pov, then how do I hide their sex? I am so confused right now.

Clarity required to proceed.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

So you’re saying that I’m supposed to hide the character’s sex by using “they” instead of “he or she?” Or am I being forced to write in first person?

Either either *you know something that turn of phrase looks VERY confusing on paper*; whichever!

If I’m writing in a lady’ pov, then how do I hide their sex? I am so confused right now. Clarity required to proceed.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! You can write in any POV but your female POVs tend to be so obvious it’ll be too easy to guess which sex you write a POV from unless you change your game a little. Ergo; this exercise will be great for you! (and amusing for me 😈)

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@this-is-not-an-alien

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! You can write in any POV but your female POVs tend to be so obvious

Hey, that’s a good thing. Male sounding female characters are not a good thing.

it’ll be too easy to guess which sex you write a POV from unless you change your game a little.

So just keep the PoV’s sex hidden, not their emotions?

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@this-is-not-an-alien @noah-cochran

So yeah, hide the gender not the emotion. In fact you should be showing the emotion. The original prompt was to write from the perspective of an opposite gender than yours, but I switched it up a bit. Sorry if that’s confusing.

Also, I meant for the prompt war to only be one-on-one, but maybe it’s better with more people, Cathy! But let’s keep it down to 5 max so it doesn’t get confusing.

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@noah-cochran How about an interaction between two characters. That way you’re not just writing from a female’s perspective, cause reverse psychology😎

This prompt is getting more confusing the more I think about it.😂 The point is the winner will be the one who writes emotion best without being cliched, but also accurate enough that the judges can guess if it’s a male or female reaction.  Does that make sense?

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@k-a-grey

I’m writing a character whose sex is unknown (that’s for the judges to guess) but who is dealing with an emotion, ideally shown through interaction with another character–got it. Thanks for the clarification. 🙂

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

Golden rays of sunlight slipped their bright fingers through the hole ridden barn roof, revealing armies of dust motes in their wake. I sat with my back pressed against a prickly pile of fresh hay, and tried to keep my sense focused on the sweet smell of the golden strands. As usual, I failed. The foul smell of dried muck and rotting wood engulfed me, and I gave up trying to ignore it. Like everything else, it was pointless to try focusing on the sweet things of life, not with darkness pressing in on every side.

As I aimlessly toyed with a strand of hay, the frantic buzzing of a fly pulled my gaze from the ground and up to wood rafters that ran along the roof. A web of white silk vibrated as the poor creature struggled to release itself from its grasping prison. I could empathize, but I had learned to stop struggling. It was futile, everything was futile. The darkness in life would wrap you up and never let you go. It would cling to you no matter how hard you struggled, and then–a large black spider shot out from a crevice in the wood and pounced onto the hapless fly. And then it would end you. Perhaps that time was near for me as well.

I watched the spider wrap the fly in its cocoon of doom with an apathetic weariness I had long since stopped fighting against. Care and emotion were useless. Life would abuse you, people would abuse you, your own emotions would abuse you. Better to just stop caring about anything or anyone.

I looked toward the open door and swiped loose strands of hair out of my eyes as grass rustled outside the barn. The slim form of Ozias slipped through the door and stopped before me. I met his frustrated eyes for a moment, and then went back to looking languidly at the piece of hay that I still rubbed between my fingers.

“What are you doing?” demanded Ozias in a hard voice.

“What does it look like?” I said flatly.

“It looks like you’re wasting our valuable time by playing with hay.”

“Since when was time valuable?”

“Since we had killers to punish. Now come, Joth is waiting for us.”

I looked back up at Ozias, not bothering to swipe the hair that fell back into my face. “You know you’re deluded don’t you?”

Ozias clenched his jaw. “We’ve already been over this, now are you coming or not? Evander already gave you a chance to leave.”

I slowly pushed myself up. “Might as well, there’s nothing else to do.”

Ozias shook his head and walked back out. I followed, but took my time. There was nothing left to hurry about. As I walked through the door, I glanced back at the cocooned fly. I would probably join my little friend shortly, and then I could get away from this choking darkness called life.

—————————–

Okay, so that was almost exactly 500 words, but it didn’t quite go over, so I’m good. 🙃

I don’t understand this whole judge thing, so you figure it out Cathy.

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

I felt weak.  Nauseous, almost.  But it had to be done.  Even if the fear was enveloping me like smoke, filling my lungs, choking me.  My right knee went into sudden spasm of trembling, even though I tried to will it to be still.  I didn’t want them to see my fear.
    I took a step toward the entrance of the cave.  I suddenly imagined myself panicking inside the cave.  What if I lost my head and started screaming?  I didn’t want my comrades to think I was just another hysterical idiot.  The last time I was in a dark, enclosed space….  I closed my eyes and shook my head a little to force out the memory.
    “L——, are you sure you’re alright?” our leader asked, placing a hand on my shoulder.  The concern in his eyes warmed me as much as his touch.  I tried to smile bravely so he wouldn’t worry.
    “I’ll be fine,” I managed to say.
    “You’re a brave soul, if I ever saw one,” he said admiringly.
    “I just want to help,” I said, blushing.  “Besides, no one else can fit through that opening.”
    He smiled, handing me the light dagger we call a trythe.
    “Be safe.” He raised his hand in salute.
    I nodded to my comrades, took a deep breath, and stepped inside the cave. Instantly the blackness overwhelmed me.  I looked behind me to catch one more glimpse of my friends standing in the sunlight, but the circle of light coming through the opening got smaller and smaller until I could no longer see anything.  I was in complete darkness.
    I could feel the panic start again, but I didn’t feel like screaming.  I felt sick.  My head swam, and I could feel the blood rushing in my ears.  But I wouldn’t scream.
    Instead, I tried to focus my energy on breathing.  I would be all right.  After a few minutes my skin would start to glow, and I could see my way through the cave. I would be fine.  And when I found what we were looking for, I could make my comrades proud.
    I slowly relaxed my death-grip on my trythe.  I’ll sing, I thought.  When I was little, I always sang to myself when I was scared.  The words of a song came to me, and I started walking slowly as I tried to arrange a tune.  I sang the first verse.  My voice echoed around me.  I laughed at the sound of it. I tried to think it  was a chorus of voices cheering me on.  It was strangely beautiful, in an eerie, wild way.  I felt better now.  A dim blue light was appearing at the edges of my fingertips.  I would be able to see soon.

~~~~~

Yeah, I’m not sure who to tag either, so do you want to pick a judge, @this-is-not-an-alien ?

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@erynne Oh, hey, I remembered you said you could be one of the judges.

So some things for the judge(s)to keep in mind…

• Try to guess what the main character’s gender was
    • Did the emotion feel authentic or cliched?
    • How was the quality of the prose?
    Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@k-a-grey

I would recommend having two judges agree on a winner, but it’s up to you. 🙂

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@noah-cochran Yeah, I agree. One can be biased. 😂My original plan was have up to three judges max.</p>

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

*nods* Ok, what about…KNIFE GIRL!!! @josie-m, Knife Girl, would you do us the honor of being one of the judges? And @storysmith? And @erynne of course! Both should be…reasonably unbiased judged probably (:

Ok so there’s three answers above to this prompt right now–by me, @k-a-grey and @noah-cochran–and the prompt is: write a scene with a character experiencing a strong emotion. But! You cannot reveal the character’s gender; the judges have to guess (I’ma gonna guess too because I’m a ham of course) Things Grey suggested for the judges to keep in mind:

Try to guess what the main character’s gender was Did the emotion feel authentic or cliched? How was the quality of the prose?

(Ima guessing:

Noah: girl

Grey: also girl)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest