Might I slip in unnoticed and watch you before I introduce myself?

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Might I slip in unnoticed and watch you before I introduce myself?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Katy Walker 4 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Katy Walker
    @katy-walker

My name is Katy, and I have been seriously writing for about seven years now, but I’ve had almost no formal training. Most of my training has been by fellow writers who very patiently explain character arcs, world building, focal characters, etc. to me.

I do wish to be published someday, but my primary goal is to write good, meaningful stories for my children to read. We currently have one little red-headed boy, but we are praying for more children in time.

This also means that I have limited time to write, and I can’t always write or even jot down notes when the inspiration hits, so writer’s block and I are long-time pals. However, because I have limited time, I try to make the most of the time I have. “Teach me to number my days” doesn’t just apply to making the most of the life God has given us; it can also apply to writing when you have a baby.

I am a paradoxical people person in that I can talk with pretty much anyone, but I generally only enjoy it if the person and I have some things in common that I value. So I generally watch other people first to see if I want to talk to them before I actually come up and start the conversation.

That being said, feel free to contact me or talk to me, share tips, encouragement, or even request prayer. I’d love to give you encouragement as well.

Until we meet again,

Katy Walker

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
      @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@katy-walker

Hi! I’m the first one here I see! Welcome to story Embers. What genres do you like to write/read in best? What kind of music do you like?

You can't live for long living for nothing-Hector Griffin

Katy Walker
        @katy-walker

Hi Emberynus!

I like to read a wide variety. I enjoy true histories, like documentaries, memoirs, etc. but I also enjoy well-written historical fictions that are infused with real facts. It makes history so much more interesting. I have also enjoyed a few good fantasy stories, my favorites being a story called The Two Princesses of Bavarre and Hope Ann and Daeus’ novellas. I also love short stories of a fairly wide variety. I’m terrible with titles, but George McDonald’s The Light Princess is one of my favorites.

I enjoy experimenting with writing a variety of genres, but the main ones I focus on are short stories of a more whimsical or slightly humorous nature, historical fiction, and fantasy. Two of my historical fiction pieces have actually been a combination of historical fiction and fantasy, so those are fun.

The primary one I’m currently working on is a complete fantasy story that explores the problem of pride. It’s got a dragon, knights, kings, a lady in distress — the whole kit and kaboodle.

As for music, I enjoy a variety, but I don’t listen to music as much as I make it. I find that if I try listening to music while doing ANYTHING, I get distracted by it and can’t work as efficiently, and when you only have an hour or two each day, and maybe some in the evening to get work done baby-free, you want to limit distractions as much as possible. I do turn on classical and Irish jigs and stuff just for fun to let my son get to liking music, and we move around to it. But I don’t do that a lot. What I do more is sing and hum around the house. Sometimes it’s made up songs for my baby, other times it’s just nonsense.

What do you like to write and listen to? I looked at your profile and it says your WIP is top-secret, but can you say what it’s kind of about genre and theme-wise? I promise I won’t tell anyone… *ignores the fact that this is a public forum*

@katy-walker

How old is your little boy?

I like to write all Christian. My favorite genres are Historical Fiction, Romance, Mystery, Contemporary and Fantasy. I love George MacDonald’s books!! They’re some of my favorites.

I only listen to Christian music. I like Contemporary Christian and Christian pop. Do you have any favorite music artists?

My current story is a Contemporary novella inspired by one of my favorite Contemporary Christian songs. Its theme is kinda hard to explain. LOL!! *also chooses to ignore that this is a public forum*

Katy Walker
            @katy-walker

My son is a little over 6 months old. He just cut his first tooth! He has strawberry blonde hair and bright blue eyes, which is said to be the rarest of the combinations of hair and eye color. I hope they stay that way.

I don’t have any favorite music artists, to be honest. I know that sounds bad, but I just listen to whoever seems to have the best version of the particular song that I want, and sometimes, that means my dad or my brother!

Fun Fact: My brother and I once had nearly the entire Les Miserables musical memorized. We didn’t have the parts with inappropriate language or scenes memorized, but everything else…yeah, we really like that musical. I wanted to audition for the part of Eponine once upon a time, but God was pulling me somewhere else.

What makes a story “contemporary”? I’m not really familiar with all the qualifications of the different genres. I mean, I know that if it’s got dragons and goblins and elves and fantastical stuff like that it’s probably fantasy, and if it’s speculative history that it’s labeled Historical Fiction, but the other ones I’m kind of iffy on.

So, if you don’t mind me asking, how old are you? If you don’t want to answer for any reason, I won’t be offended. I’m 21 by the way.

~Katy

@katy-walker

Awww. . . .he sounds so cute!!!!

Yeah. I get what you mean. I know sometimes there is a song I like, but I don’t particularly like the original artist’s version.

Wow that’s cool!! I sometimes memorize stuff like that too. Probably not that much though.

Contemporary is like modern times. It describes like the history from like 1945 to the present.

That’s ok. I’m fifteen. I will be sixteen in March.

Katy Walker
                @katy-walker

I don’t think I’ve ever read a true “contemporary” story before. They’ve either been biographies or memoirs of people in WWII (which is one of my favorite time periods in American history to read about) or Historical fiction about that time period.

It’s been very nice chatting with you, but sadly my WIP has been suffering from me spending the majority of naptimes on SE, so I’m going back to work on it. I’m *almost* finished with the first draft, and I’m really excited to finally get that behind me so I can start fixing everything wrong with it that I’ve noticed over the past two years! (It’s not that it’s an epic. Just that it’s been a very busy two years.)

~Katy

Banana Peacock Warrior
                  @banana-peacock-warrior

@katy-walker: Hi, Katy! Welcome to Story Embers! No joke, I LOVE your profile picture and you had me at baby. 🙂 He sounds so ADORABLE! Red hair AND blue eyes?! Ah! I’m sorry if I’m having crazes but I’m unofficially obsessed with babies (started when I began writing poems about abortion, I think).

Your WIP sounds great! Fantasy is so much fun!

Question: What kind of music do you like to write? 🙂

“When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.”
                    ‭‭Psalm‬ ‭94:19‬ ‭

Banana Peacock Warrior
                    @banana-peacock-warrior

My real name’s Mackenzie (Kenzie), by the way. 😉 *holds out hand*

“When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.”
                      ‭‭Psalm‬ ‭94:19‬ ‭

@katy-walker totally get it!!

And yes I agree with @banana-peacock-warrior that I love your profile pic!!

@banana-peacock-warrior  I didn’t know that was your name!! Though you probably told me and I just forgot! LOL!! That’s a really pretty name!! 😯

Katy Walker
                        @katy-walker

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer and @banana-peacock-warrior Thank you! The picture was taken when my son was just a week old and was barely opening his eyes at all.

@banana_peacock_warrior

Don’t worry about crazing over babies — I’m just like that too.

As for music I write…I don’t. We’ll just put it that way. I wrote one song when I was six. No more.

But, I do love to sing made up songs that I make up on the fly and forget right after I’m done. (Or even before I’m done)

I have songs I haven’t written down that I call “swing songs” that I would sing to my younger siblings when I was pushing them on the swings that stay decently the same each time. One goes something like:

Two little monkeys sittin’ on a swing, sittin’ on a swing going tick-tock, tick-tock

Two little monkeys sittin’ on a swing going…*insert monkey noises*

And so the song would go through all the animals we could think of until finally we got to the elephants and it would be:

Two little elephants sittin’ on a swing, sittin’ on a swing going tick-tock, tick CRASH!

And the song would end. Sometimes it was hippos, but mostly it was elephants because that was the favorite. (It was two because I was pushing two little ones at a time.)

And I would love to read your abortion poems. We are trying to support a group who go out to an abortion clinic and try to reach the ladies going inside, but recently we’ve encountered a lot of opposition from police and the “pink people” who have resorted to physical and mental harassment a lot lately. We’re trying to get some legal protection, but that’s an uphill battle.

Well, naptime is over, so I’m going to sign off for now. I was able to reach my word count goal for today, so I felt I could reply.

Until next time, Lord willing and the creek don’t rise!

~Katy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest