fb

Messes Left by Our Younger Selves

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Messes Left by Our Younger Selves

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

When I was a baby writer I didn’t pay attention to logic, pretty much at all. All I cared about at the time was that I had fun with the story and it was cool in the end. (Which I kind of miss, actually.) Of course, this has resulted in a lot of messes I’ve had to clean up to revive some of the stories I wrote when I was younger, and my current mess is figuring out why a mother would send her 8, 6, 4, and 0/1-year-olds to Earth to protect them but keep behind the 9-year-old. If it was because there was a cut-off point and she thought the 9-year-old was mature enough, why wasn’t the 8-year-old if he was only a year younger? And how do I fix this without ruining the sibling dynamics that have existed since I was seven?

So in honor of the messes we can leave for ourselves, what’s the biggest writing mess your younger self has left for you to clean up?

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

I, David
    @i-david

@r-m-archer

Three letters.

I.

O.

U.

Four
    INFP
    songwriter

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@r-m-archer

I got myself into a mess by saying I’m interested in writing my friend’s story. I was all excited and really wanted to write it, and now I’m like, “Okay, that was kinda dumb. I have no idea how to write that person’s story and I really don’t have any passion to.” But that specific person is super pumped and wants me to do it right away… So yeah. I’m not sure what to do about that! … Haha, when you make a promise at a younger age, one that you think you’ll keep and end up not so sure…

Courage, dear heart ~ Aslan

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

Hm. My younger self came up with an awesome storyline. One that I very much want to write. Only… my younger self never came up with how to write it. (It’s complicated but basically there’s several different ways I could write it.) So… now I’m stuck not writing it since I’m trying to figure out how. *sighs and shakes head at my younger self*

"You can dance with my henchman."

J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

My younger self just smushed American Girl, Adventures in Odyssey and Happy Hollisters together. End result: Nonexistent original plot and very flat characters.

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
    Blog

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@dekreel

Ooooooh. Sounds like my first “novel,” in which I threw ALL of the main characters from The Boxcar Children, Nancy Drew, and… something else similar into one story, tossed in the One Ring for good measure, and wrote a mystery that–looking back–ended up having a really creepy conclusion. XD (That was when I vowed to never write a mystery as the main plot of a book ever again, lol.) Ohhh dear. XD And the sad thing is, I could probably still write it now from memory! (It’s been ten years.)

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest