Me..? Advanced? I don't think that's right..

Forums Fiction Writing Level & Journey Plans Discussions Me..? Advanced? I don't think that's right..

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@professorsjb post it on here, and get critiques! Or say you haven’t really shared before, and share it, and people will be willing to mostly tell you how they like it.

Christianna Hellwig
    @christianna-hellwig

Me? Advanced? Ha!

(Apologies ahead of time to the creators of the test, I think you all did an excellent job…and I could be wrong.)  🙂

They say three times is a charm, right? I took the test three times, and tried to be excruciatingly honest. See, here’s the thing. I don’t think the test accurately differentiates between head knowledge and practical knowledge, that is, how well you can execute that with which you’re intellectually informed. I know a multitude of things about good writing, and I have executed most of them at some point or another with excellent results, but simply because of my writing experience I wouldn’t call myself advanced. There’s something to be said for the amount of hands on experience you’ve had, which, though I’ve written for years, my writing has only just come to a point where I’m even remotely pleased with it. Even then, every time I read a master, such as, Dostoevsky, who blew me away recently, I realize afresh just how far I have yet to go.

What do you all think on the subject?

"...Together fused in such a way,
    That what I speak of is a single light."

ProfessorSJB
    @professorsjb

@katthewriter

Thanks! I’ll share some of my short stories with my Guild.

@christianna-hellwig

I love Dostoyevsky! And I do understand what you mean. There are times when I look at my writing and feel like burning it to ashes, then there are times I think to myself, “This is half not bad!” I often have times when I think I have a very original idea, then find out later that someone had been in my mind…or something like that. And writing is a lifelong learning experience.

INFJ: Bibliomaniac that pretends to be a Bibliophile, owns an imaginary typewriter...

Christianna Hellwig
    @christianna-hellwig

@professorsjb You’re quite right about that. So glad someone else likes Dostoevsky….most people I meet haven’t even heard of him.

"...Together fused in such a way,
    That what I speak of is a single light."

Lillian.Parks03
    @lillian-parks03

@katthewriter

I was kinda shocked when I got that result as well I mean I’ve always like my writings and thought personally they weren’t that bad but I haven’t had anyone want to read them because all the people I know are not readers or geeks at all really. I’ve let one person read one of my books just because she’s awesome and my cousin so… Also she’s published a book My world of  Conceit (Heather Glenn) Ps it is super cool. And she like it said I need to give some grammar but other than that it was good.

https://www.pinterest.com/parkerlillian2003/
      https://www.facebook.com/lillian.parker.182940

Katthewriter
      @katthewriter

@lillian-parks03

Oh yeah, but i already had a friend take it for me, and she got intermediate, so i’ll say that’s what i am for now. But thank you!

MyClipboardIsMyViolin
      @myclipboardismyviolin

I think the test measures how much pride you have more than anything else. 😛 (That is a joke.)

But yeah, I got advanced too, and I had that reaction. “Do you know how terrible my writing is?” But I think the thing is if you are actually good at writing, you know where your weaknesses are and where your writing needs to be patched up and fixed. Unlike a young writer who is cocky and thinks they are the best, you know your writing well enough to know that you’re not a big shot. You’re focused on your actual craft rather than on the fame and the dollar signs.

Sarah, Miss S, Sierepica_Fuzzywalker

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest