Map Making Websites

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding Map Making Websites

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@r-m-archer

Sorry I disappeared, the conference was a week long. XD Family Conference is a week long conference in Big Sandy Texas for families… XD They have different activities/programs for kids, boys, girls, young people, moms, dads, etc. The student choir and orchestra… It was AWESOME!!!! We seriously had the best choir director that I’ve ever had there!!! He was absolutely hilarious, I nearly dropped dead from laughing/not breathing. It was also the hardest too… I don’t have an incredible breath capacity, and he was having people about ready to die from lack of air. The last to practices had me feeling sick. It was amazing though…

I LOVE ACCENTS!!!!! Gracious, that sounds so cool to get to see that explained!!! What are some of your favorite accents??

@red_converse I have got to try that sometime… I have a world that I want to work on developing some, so that could be helpful!!!

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

@ericawordsmith

That sounds really cool! Oh dear… I know that feeling. XD We had a couple of guys in our choir two years ago and during our practices for Celtic Woman (which were super relaxed and fun) they had us laughing hysterically regularly and it was GREAT. XD But it’s definitely hard to sing when you’re laughing or trying not to laugh. ;D I’m glad the conference went well!

My favorite accent to speak is some mix of British accents, I think, because it’s what I can actually pull off, lol. I’d like it better, probably, if I could figure out how to identify one British accent and stick with that one, but for now the mix is decent. As far as hearing accents, I really like Irish and Scottish accents. How about you?

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

EricaWordsmith
      @ericawordsmith

@r-m-archer

I know it… Oh the things that can happen in choir… Like accidentally standing when the directer tells the guys to stand, or this past choir experience, when they accidentally didn’t print the last page to one of the songs in our choir music. That was freaky… We didn’t find that out until the day before we performed and didn’t learn the ending of that piece until dress rehearsal. XD

I LOVE British accents!!! They’re so much fun… I regularly slip into a British accent (or really any accent whether a real one or just a weird way of talking). The two that are hard for me is Scottish and Irish, they have a way of blending together… French is hard, I love German… I love listening to just about any accent, but European ones are my favorites.

Coggleton
        @coggleton

Sorry for the late response- but if you’re still looking for a good mapmaking site, the Cartographer’s Guild has a bunch of tutorials.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/content.php

Hope McClellan
        @hope-mcclellan

I saw someone else used Word Anvil ( https://www.worldanvil.com/ ). I personally hope to look into Word Anvil and Inkarnate both to see which I may like better. πŸ™‚

"Write the vision, and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it."
          Habakkuk 2:2

R.M. Archer
          @r-m-archer

@hope-mcclellan World Anvil doesn’t have a map maker (that I’m aware of), it just allows you to upload already-created maps and add notes, “pins,” etc., which can then link to your World Anvil articles so it’s easy to see info about various locations on the map. So it’s very helpful for what it does, but it doesn’t create maps. πŸ˜›

Hope McClellan
          @hope-mcclellan

@r-m-archer

Hmm… The website says ‘Design interactive maps’, but you may be right that it really just works for adding notes to preexisting maps. I’ll have to look into it some more.

Hope McClellan
            @hope-mcclellan

@evelyn and @r-m-archer

I was thinking about Inkarnate when my brother pointed this out to me, so I thought it would be a good thing to ask… Would a Chromebook be able to handle Inkarnate? I plan on just using the free version, but I still don’t want the website to murder my laptop. XD So yeah, do you think a dinky Chromebook could handle the site?

R.M. Archer
              @r-m-archer

@hope-mcclellan It ran about as well as any other webpage on my ancient, decrepit Acer laptop, so I think you should be fine. πŸ™‚

Evelyn
              @evelyn

@hope-mcclellan I am afraid I am not knowledgeable in that topic.Β  (:

Leon Fleming
              @w-o-holmes

@ericawordsmith

I’ve not much to tell you on this subject. Like @r-m-archer, I’ve had more success just drawing them. In fact, I’ve never used a website to create maps. I just use a pen on butcher paper. πŸ™‚

Livi Ryddle
              @anne_the_noob14

@ericawordsmith

Ok so I was just kinda scrolling through random threads and I came to this one and thought I might benefit from it and literally just saw that @r-m-archer SANG BACKUP FOR CELTIC WOMEN WHAAAAT I was literally SO obsessed with them when I was younger and I still love them OMWWW

Like I couldn’t name any of their songs now, but gee. *shakes head in awe*

I’ll contribute to this foreign language songs convo if that’s cool πŸ˜›

I’ve been pretty obsessed with Luis Fonsi for this past week actually. I can’t SING in Spanish (or any other language besides English XD) but I really want to learn Poca a Poca because it’s beautiful. Or Apaga La Luz. Or Sola. (I’m relying on memory to try and spell the names so…) And Despacito is beautiful. I know the translation is kind of.. shall I say… suggestive, but since there’s not any bad words, and I’m listening to it in Spanish, whatever XD It’s REALLY catchy.

And I also like Italian rap, believe it or not. Capparezza’s songs mainly. A friend of mine got me interested in them, and she can actually rap one of their songs. Like, FAST. And she’s white, and DEFINITELY not somebody you’d expect to be able to rap well. But she can. (Not trying to be racist or anything lol)

Celtic songs are beautiful, and so flowy and smooth, and there’s this one that I LOVE LOVE LOVE but I can’t remember the name of it. I have it on a cd somewhere.

So yeah, I’m into songs in different languages, but I can’t actually sing any lol.

Oh and also I can’t actually DO any accents, but I love British accents. Like genuine ones. I hate when people try to fake it and fail. Like seriously, if you can’t do it right, don’t do it at all. Gee. Like, people try too hard. They’ll try to put an accent on every word, and it’s just like… no??

A friend of mine will slip into a British accent without realizing it sometimes. It’s a very convincing one, too. But it’s kinda annoying cause like he doesn’t look the accent, ya know what I mean? Some people just don’t look the part.. (also I suspect he likes me but I don’t like him like that and so I find almost anything he does a little weird and awkward and just AAAAHHH)

About map-making… I’ve never used any website, and I’ve also never drawn any. I just don’t do maps for my stories. It doesn’t help me much. Sometimes I’ll kinda sketch out the layout of a city or something, to work out a detail like where the fountain is or whatever, but I usually just… Idk. My plots are always pretty character-driven, and the big picture doesn’t usually make too much difference to me. Maybe it should? But I just consider it a waste of my time πŸ˜› I’d end up doodling flowers and whatnot instead of mapping, when I could be writing, so I can be more productive if I just write. *shrugs* But that’s just me.

@red_converse I’ve seen that dice thing somewhere and thought it was pretty cool πŸ˜€ I wanna try that sometime just to kinda see if it’d be something I’d want to use at some point, but I haven’t gotten around to it. I’ve also seen it where different colored dice mean different things, like blue for lakes, green for fields, black for mountains, etc..

May the road rise to meet you,
              A smile always greet you,
              May our friendship be always true and strong

EricaWordsmith
              @ericawordsmith

@anne_the_noob14

Sorry I haven’t responded… college…

But anyway, YES!!! Isn’t Celtic Woman awesome???

And yes, I love singing in other languages. One of the songs I’m working on right now for school is Care Selve, which is in Italian. It’s been a lot of fun to work on.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest