fb

Map Making Websites

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding Map Making Websites

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

I think there was already another thread for this, but oh well! Here we go…

So, I’m having some ideas tickle my brain for making my plot better, and having a map would be super, super helpful. I’ve tried some map making websites before, but I’m curious as to whether anybody has any favorite map makers. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks! 🙂

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Inkarnate has worked very well for me!

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@ericawordsmith

Personally, I’ve had the most luck drawing them myself. (Even though my drawing is… shabby at best. XD) I’ve tried Inkarnate, but it’s really better for small maps (at least if you only use the free version) and I’ve never been able to get it to work quite right for me (that’s probably just a learning curve issue to be worked through). Though it hasn’t worked for me, I’d say it’s definitely worth a try to see if it works for you. 🙂

There’s another one my dad got recently for D&D campaign maps called Arkenforge. I can’t attest to how well it works or whether it works for normal maps as well as D&D maps because I haven’t used it, but it might be worth checking out. (I’d be willing to play around with it and come back with more info, too.)

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@r-m-archer and @evelyn

Thanks for the ideas! I am terrible at drawing maps… XD and I’ve tried Inkarnate but I haven’t been super super impressed so far… I’ll see what I can figure out about Arkenforge! 🙂

BTW, Nice switch from INFP to ENFP! XD

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

BTW, Nice switch from INFP to ENFP! XD

Me? XD I’m pretty convinced I’m right on the line, because I relate to a ton of the Pinterest posts on both, so it’s like… yep. I’m somewhere in there. And I get energy from people, so… I’m gonna just go with E for official purposes. XD

skyburne001
    @skyburne001

Wow, these are some cool resources. I’ll have to check them out. I love making maps!

Writer and Warrior.

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@r-m-archer

I’m right on the border there too… I think sometimes being an ENFP is a little like being an introverted extrovert. XD It’s like being a really, really weird INFP who doesn’t have stage fright? XD

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@r-m-archer

Just out of curiosity, do you ever try to learn songs in other languages (since I know you’re a singer)? I love to, and I’m hopelessly stuck wanting to learn another gaelic song, but I think it will probably be the hardest other-language song I’ve ever tried…

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

I’m right on the border there too… I think sometimes being an ENFP is a little like being an introverted extrovert. XD It’s like being a really, really weird INFP who doesn’t have stage fright? XD

Something like that. XD

Just out of curiosity, do you ever try to learn songs in other languages (since I know you’re a singer)? I love to, and I’m hopelessly stuck wanting to learn another gaelic song, but I think it will probably be the hardest other-language song I’ve ever tried…

Ooh! This is a super fun question! 😀 So, I’ve only gone out of my way to learn a song in a different language on my own once, I think, BUT I’ve sung in… *counts* 8-ish languages for choir? Somewhere in there. (French and Hebrew are probably my favorite.) Personally, I tend to pick up on languages pretty quickly as far as pronunciation goes, and I tend to be pretty auditory and visual with music and languages so just listening to it over and over with the words in front of me helps me pick it up. I’ll also often jot down notes about how things are pronounced if letters are pronounced differently than in English (Chinese is a prime example).

The only non-English song I’ve really tried learning on my own is Dulaman by Celtic Woman, because it’s on their Voices of Angels album and that’s the album I heard them sing on tour (my choir sang backup for them on Amazing Grace and You Raise Me Up for one show, which was EPIC). And I don’t remember any of the words at this point. XD But I still have songs from choir nine or ten years ago in Italian and Spanish that get stuck in my head. So… yeah. I definitely enjoy singing in most foreign languages (not so much Latin, usually), even if I usually don’t bother looking up what the words mean. 😛 (I trust my choir director, lol.)

What Gaelic song are you looking at learning?

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@r-m-archer

This is hilarious… Dulaman is the song I’m wanting to learn!! XD XD I’ve listened to it over and over, but the pronunciation is going to kill me… I’ve been able to get other languages before, Suil a Ruin, Now We Are Free, and a few other things, but Dulaman is a little tricky…

YOU GOT TO SING BACK UP CHOIR FOR CELTIC WOMAN??????? OMW!!!!!!!!!!! I have my disclaimer that I don’t love every song they sing lyrically or every performance of every song, but their voices… Oh my word… If I can learn to sing like that, it would be a dream come true.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

This is hilarious… Dulaman is the song I’m wanting to learn!! XD XD

Oh wow! XD I didn’t really follow through with it, unfortunately, but I definitely had the interest for months after the concert to memorize all of the songs on the Voices of Angels album. Which I mostly succeeded at. Fun fact: Dulaman is actually about seaweed. XD

Yes! It was fantastic… and of course now I remember only little tiny bits and pieces of it, most of which were moments backstage with the rest of the choir. 😛 It was really strange, because while I was there it just felt like another concert, but more fun because the choir got more time to just hang out than we usually do, and none of it really set in, y’know? And then the next morning it really hit me and I was so overwhelmed and overjoyed both that I’d sung with Celtic Woman and that I’d performed on a stage that Lindsey Stirling had performed on that I cried. It was a really awesome experience.

Their voices really are gorgeous. And their breath support! Yeesh! I can hit most of their high notes, but to sing them well and long and strong? Nope. Not all at once. They make it sound absolutely effortless.

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@r-m-archer

I am pretty determined to learn that song… It is so gorgeous!!! Yes I do know that song is about seaweed!! XD I was slightly surprised by the translation, but oh well, it’s an amazing song!!

Wow, that is so crazy!!! Man… That is amazing. Isn’t it crazy how and when all that sinks in? And isn’t choir performance so much fun??? This next week I’m going to be going to choir at Family Conference, and I’m super excited about it!!!

I know it!!! I was thinking just that around Christmas last year listening to their Christmas stuff… Those high notes just have me shaking my head wishing I could do that… Do you have any favorite voices from Celtic Woman? My favorites are Lisa Lambe, Méav Ní Mhaolchatha and Máiréad Carlin. Once more, I don’t love everything they sing or every performance, but their voices have me flat on my back in awe.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Man… That is amazing. Isn’t it crazy how and when all that sinks in? And isn’t choir performance so much fun??? This next week I’m going to be going to choir at Family Conference, and I’m super excited about it!!!

Yes! I’ve been in choir for nearing eleven years at this point, so I’ve had a large share of performances, and I thoroughly enjoy them. Hearing all the voices blend into one is super cool. That sounds awesome! I hope you have a fabulous time! What is Family Conference?

I know it!!! I was thinking just that around Christmas last year listening to their Christmas stuff… Those high notes just have me shaking my head wishing I could do that… Do you have any favorite voices from Celtic Woman? My favorites are Lisa Lambe, Méav Ní Mhaolchatha and Máiréad Carlin. Once more, I don’t love everything they sing or every performance, but their voices have me flat on my back in awe.

I think there is one that I like a tiny bit better than all the rest, but I’m not sure whose it is. 😛 Máiréad was one of the three we met, along with Susan McFadden and Éabha McMahon, and then the violinist Tara McNeill and the drummer… whom I don’t remember the name of. She was cool, though. And then a couple of the guys, mainly… Carl, I think was his name? Everyone else remembers him better than I do for some reason, lol. As well as most of the Celtic Woman people, I guess. I wish my memory hadn’t latched on quite so tightly to the choir people and had left some space for the people I was only with for a day, lol. 😛 I do remember they were all super nice, and I greatly enjoyed listening to them talk, being the accent nerd that I am. XD The drummer actually pointed out how she has a northern Irish accent and Tara has a southern Irish accent, or vice versa, which was cool.

It’s interesting seeing what I do and don’t remember, and how that must be different from everyone else who experienced it, and how it reflects what my interests and values were at the time. It’s interesting to wonder how I might have remembered different things if I went back now and didn’t have so much focus on the same things.

Inactive
    @red_converse

Super low-tech, but I saw a post where someone dropped a bunch of dice and traced the edges. A friend did something similar where she ripped up some paper and traced it. Some things I can’t do digitally, and this is one of them, sooo sorry I didn’t give a good website recommendation, but hopefully this helps? 😅

dice map

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Super low-tech, but I saw a post where someone dropped a bunch of dice and traced the edges.

Rice is another thing that’s really good for this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.