fb

Map Makers

Forums Art Art Critique Map Makers

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@scarletimmortalized, okay. Cool!

Yeah, sometimes I too just draw maps including only fantasy elements, without any story to go with them… Though I still usually have some sort of plans for a story I could use them in – usually.

I have this cool red, leather sketchbook, which I may put a map or something in, sometime.

"Muhahaha!"- Unknown Villain

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@andrew

That sketchbook sounds amazing! Here’s a city I drew once for a roleplay gig. Not very detailed but I like cities.

“Scarlet, What are you eating?” ~ “Ghost peppers...” ~ Robin sighed.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@scarletimmortalized, that looks really detailed to me! Looks cool! 🙂 Good job.

I’ve never drew something like that.

I also like how you did the patterns.

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@andrew Thanks! Detailed for me is having street names and districts lol! I did get really excited about drawing streets.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@scarletimmortalized, I may not be as detailed as that, but I think making up names for castles, seas, etc, on my maps is fun. 🙂

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@andrew yes! I particularly like using Latin for names I get stuck on.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@scarletimmortalized, okay. I just either make up my names or remember these really cool ones, or I cheat and use a name book. Xd

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@andrew

Okay, hey, I know you in real life and if you don’t know who I am you can ask Hope.

I love drawing maps. I used to do it more often when I was younger. My most recent one I did was a map of Time and Space, and the bridge connecting them. It’s really rudimentary, and from a far off distance, so I might draw a more detailed one sometime. Actually, I can show it to you if you remind me the next time you’re at church.

I still have that map you drew for me when you came to our house… I love it. 🙂

My biggest problem with maps and trying to come up with things that are not so common. Geography things, I mean. Something besides mountain, forests, and lakes. Any ideas, anyone? @andrew @scarletimmortalized

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
    No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@anne-of-lothlorien

Yeah, Hope told me who you before… I hadn’t known either until she pointed it out who you were. Xd

Coming up with cool ideas besides trees and rocks and stuff like that… every once in a while I just make cool yet weird-random sketches, and thought it looked neat, so I just gave it a name and place.

Or… if that wasn’t helpful enough, let me think of something else to tell you for right now. Perhaps you could come up with some griffin, dragon, or whatever; then make a statue, mountain, etc, that is shaped like those beasts (symbolism).

Or you could make a big whirlpool place on your map, filling it with monsters, water lands, and so on.

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@anne-of-lothlorien

Ooh cool question! In my maps I like to add capital cities or other places of importance (trade towns, local pub on an otherwise empty road,cities important to the story). What’s fun is finding a strategical place for your Capitol or stronghold. If you haven’t tried rivers those are fun! Desserts I name and then enclose the area in a dotted line. Ooh swamps and marshes! Back to man made structures, one of my fantasy countries had towers along the borders of a dragon invested mountain range. Speaking of mountains try adding passes and old roads that only old people know about. A No-Man’s Land is always fun…hm I think I’m out of ideas. I hope that helps!

Corine
    @corine

I’m studying geology so map-making is a big part of my course. But I have to admit that I really enjoy the freedom to create a made-up map for a place of my imagination!

Geographical features ideas: rivers & streams, waterfalls, mountains & hills, forests, bogs, lakes, islands, deltas, beaches, caves 🌳🌱🌼

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@corine, yeah, sometimes just splashing all your imaginations on a piece of paper is fun…

Good luck with your map!

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@andrew-schmidt

@scarletimmortalized

Thanks for the suggestions! What I was really trying to find was map things that are more unique; instead of forests, rivers, and mountains, try deserts, waterfalls, swamps, etc. Thank you for the help!

One thing I’ve just got the idea for is really awesome in my head… it’s a historical steampunk setting, where people live on family airships, and there’s all these ports and buildings in the sky. The main character’s family’s airship gets taken away when they can’t pay rent and they’re banished to the Lower Downs, or something like that. Which means the ground. Earth. Where poor people and criminals live. I don’t really know what happens with the story, but I’m so excited to draw the city in the sky. Hmm, I might even name it that. The City In the Sky. Or the Latin equivalent or something.

Right now I just have a drawing of a section looking at it from the side, so you can see the buildings walls and window, etc. I might make a really large map from above view.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@anne-of-lothlorien

Oh cool! A City In the Sky. That’ll be fun to make.

And that steampunk setting sounds unique, too.

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@andrew-schmidt – Yeah, it’s really hard to explain to someone that it’s steampunk technology, but an old and antiquated form of it, because most people think of steampunk as futuristic.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest