fb

Map Makers

Forums Art Art Critique Map Makers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

Who all here enjoys making maps? *raises my own hand* I do!

I probably have over ten other maps. They’re usually for story stuff or fantasy ideas.

Its fun to just layย down a blank piece of paper… and then start drawing.

A Turtle Inn there, a Crystal Lake over there, anย Ancient Mountains right there… Its fun just sitting down and filling the random sheet of paper in cool sketches and words.

But is there possibly any tips for making maps even better? If no, then that’s okay. If yes, then I’d like to hear about it (if that’s okay with you.)

But anyway, what types of maps do you draw?

@evelyn
    @nuetrobolt @wordsmith @jenwriter17 @the-fledgling-artist @mariposa

"Muhahaha!"- Unknown Villain

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@andrew I think maps are really cool, but I’m terrible at making them myself, so I don’t. XD

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@andrew

I love to draw maps too. I usually do them for my fantasy novels, but I have worked on some for historical fiction too, though they tend to be harder. My best tip to make them better is simply keep practicing, I’ve seen a lot of improvements in my maps over the past few years, the more I do it, the better I get ๐Ÿ™‚

Mahalo keia huiสปana

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@jenwriter17, that’s okay. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

@seekjustice
    , okay. Thanks for the advice.

What’s the latest map you made? The latest one I made was of Aspeldon, this story I’m doing right not.

Oh, and also, when I make mountains in my maps, I usually darken the one side for the shading… that’s tends to make them look more realistic. And then the shape of the kingdom you’re drawing is also fun draw.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@andrew Yeah maps are cool. ๐Ÿ˜€ I’ve only ever made one myself, but I want to make more so I can get better at it.

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@the-fledgling-artist, okay. ๐Ÿ™‚

What type of maps do you enjoy drawing?

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@andrew The map I drew was more like something you would draw for illustration then something that is geographically accurate. (It was for a fantasy )

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@andrew

The map I’m currently making is for my next novel, which will be fantasy. Its not finished yet, but I attached a few photos, in case you’re interested in seeing them ๐Ÿ™‚

Yep, I do the same thing for my mountains! It help add a bit of depth when the map itself is pretty flat. ๐Ÿ˜€

Mahalo keia huiสปana

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@the-fledgling-artist, oh, okay. Sounds interesting. ๐Ÿ™‚

@seekjustice
    , nice maps. I would send a few pictures of mine, but I don’t know how to do that.

Yeah, some of my maps are for fantasy novels too (or more like novellas that’re put together to form one big novel.)

Rachel Rogers
    @scribbles

@andrew I love maps, and I desperately need one for the novel I’m working on, but I don’t draw maps. At all. Not even the littlest bit. xD

@seekjustice
    Those are super cool! I love the look of your maps. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@scribbles, okay. ๐Ÿ™‚

What is your novel about?

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@andrew Oh, maps! I love making maps. Most are more artistic that realistic(I’ll have to get some pictures to show you) but I do quite a few for my fantasy world and experiments with styles. Most I make are pencil or watercolor and ink. What about you?

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Ariella Newheart
    @ariella-newheart

@andrew I’ve drawn several maps over the years for my main fantasy world. It’s fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

One tip I can give is about rivers. (Mind you, I’m not an expect. Take my advice at your own risk. ๐Ÿ˜› ) Instead of starting at one main point and branching off into several rivers, it’s usually reversed. Several streams begin at springs or the bases of mountains and gather into one main river before emptying into an ocean or lake. I find it helpful to look at the geography of real places. Even though I’m drawing a fantasy world, I like to have a good measure of realism with it. xD

@seekjustice
    Hi there! I remember you from Kingdom Pen. *waves* That’s a nice map. ๐Ÿ˜€

Writer, illustrator, Parimi Alcan

Check out my new blog! https://arbitraryfairy.wordpress.com/

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@sarah-inkdragon, yeah, I like artistic maps too. My maps are more for story ideas or… just something totally random that I felt like drawing. ๐Ÿ™‚

@ariella-newheart
    , oh, thanks for the advice. Now I can decide where to put my rivers. *pauses and looks over at a magical river that just pops out of no where on my map* Oh, except for that.

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@andrew

I love maps! I make fantasy world maps all the time. Most of them don’t have stories (yet) to go with them.

โ€œScarlet, What are you eating?โ€ ~ โ€œGhost peppers...โ€ ~ Robin sighed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.