fb

Made-up or Mixed Genres??????

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Made-up or Mixed Genres??????

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@evelyn, oh, and speaking of N.D. Wilson’s mixed genre books, the ones I’m doing right now is probably somewhat crazy too. I have dozens of sci-fi elements in the Connection that connects the worlds together, but the main setting is in this mystical, fantasy world with fairies, dwarves, elves, etc… not to mention all the plants and animals and other races I put in it.

Random Stranger: "What do you want to do when you grow up?"
    Me: "Write every inch of your future."

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@andrew Right!

It seems that there are genres that overlap a lot, especially “Adventure” or “Action” which I might make such a broad statement that these are aspects that always appear in every si-fi and fantasy novel… and then there’s that gray little area between si-fi and fantasy too, where I’ve written before.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@evelyn *nods*

If I may ask, what exactly genre did you write in? Whether the answer is only a few or multiple or a mixed, unique setting, what exactly genres do you write in?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@andrew Yes, you may ask…. I don’t mind. 🙂

I write in such various spectrums though, mainly to experiment around. The majority of the time, I write in fantasy in the world I created a couple years ago (though not very thoroughly). I wrote a novel last year there… then realized that there was a HUGE plot hole, couldn’t work it out, and… well… bye-bye book! 😛 Who knows though? I might pick it up sometime and try again.

I’ve written many short stories in other fantasy settings, and even tried my hand at contemporary dystopia, cranking out “Defenestration.” That was fun and I’ll probably return to that soon, but my current project is a mystery. (No, it’s not a murder mystery. 🙂 ) It’s interesting though, because I’m trying to figure out the best way to approach it. I’ve also written non-fiction before too. Which was fun. And plus poetry… if you count that as a genre. 🙂

What about you? Have you ever done anything besides si-fi or fantasy?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Evelyn.
    Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@evelyn, I mainly write fantasy – sometimes sci-fi – but I also have a lot of other stuff I write. Most of them are mixed genres (because I just love experimenting) but not always. The very first story I wrote was of this dog in this huge, animal-infested world. The story was so horrible, it was only about five or four pages, and it made absolutely not sense. It began off with the dog escaping this maze, chased by a dinosaur, then eating some large blue fish with a bunch of other dogs, then meeting a poodle that some bears took for dinner, then captured by a man and brought to a zoo where he escaped and went to make his home where a bunch of his sheep suddenly disappeared, then he decides to travel the oceans almost getting eaten by some sharks… and then it continues, him going to the dangerous jungle where two nameless jaguars and their enemies tried to kill them. And I had so much violent deaths. And then the dog with the help of some friends killed a bunch of pirates for their ship to travel back home. That story was really horrible.

I did write this one story, its a mystery. But I had all the Disney princesses in it, and there were three nights, three murders. Snow White died first, eating an apple, then Aurora, and then Rapunzel. I really shook it up to hide the answer. But since you’re probably not going to read it, the murderer is the Mirror. Alice – the MC – had to take down the treacherous Mirror at the end.

The Mirror hated Esperanza the Evil Queen, and therefor wanted to kill her – which he did. The Mirror felt like he was just a tool being used.

And I also wrote this one alien story and many others… but I’ll stop there.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@andrew I always love hearing about a writer’s very first story. xD I wrote my first one when I was about five. It was titled: Stripes and the Princess. Literally all that happens is a snake makes the “Qeen” mad and the princess and prince look at it. The End. That’s it. xD

My second documented story was when I cut up an old magazine and glued a bunch of cut-ups from different pictures into a very strange-looking woman, who I pasted upside in the construction paper booklet, and thus wrote a story about “Mrs. Upsidedown” and her struggles going to a tea party. xD

The mirror did it though? HOW DARE YOUR SPOIL IT!!!! 😉

But now I’m curious about the alien story. 🙂

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@evelyn, haha. Yeah, the Mirror was a tricky creature. As for the alien story:

I actually split that up into four parts and then put them all together. The first part I really liked, I like the second part, the third part was okay, and then the third part I kinda made a lame end for. I literally just added a couple things at the very climax to save the day. That alien wasn’t that good, to be honest.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@andrew I see. How’s your WIP going?

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@evelyn, my WIP is going good. I haven’t even really got passed the first chapter, but I have brainstormed a lot! I also have plans for the books ahead of this one. But once I can get everything ready and stuff, I’ll do more on the WIP. But it’s going good.

What about you?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@Andrew Yes, you do seem to brainstorm well and this world you’re building sounds like it’s going to be very deep in creativity.

I’m on my second chapter for my WIP. Basically I’m just getting the story down and trying to write the first draft as fast as I can as my writing process is, and then go back and edit it, and change the big stuff as the second draft and then read it a couple more times through. I used to think my first draft had to be word for word perfect, but that just about killed me. 😛 Because I’m not able to write a brilliant manuscript first try and I end up sitting and hitting my head on the keyboard in despair and woe. Thus the first draft of my novel would take two years and I would be exhausted mentally, emotionally, and physically by the end. Now I just tell myself to “vomit” the plot on the page and then go back later to make it beautiful. 😉

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@evelyn, thanks. 🙂

Yeah, I usually just right the story, then edit it later.

But what is the first draft like? What are your characters like?

I have some quirky characters in my story, and I just love lurking behind my character’s backs as I write and plot some of the unfortunate’s death. Counting the character’s that are only in a few scenes, I’ll probably at least… *leans in and whispers* I’ll probably at least kill about eight each story. But don’t worry, I’ll give each of their death’s a purpose.

I don’t kill characters just for Shock’s sake.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

Yeah, I just told you a couple more minor spoilers. It seems SE is where I throw all the minor spoilers of my stories at. But that doesn’t matter, because they probably won’t end up reading them. *grins* After all, I can get more tips about what to do better here.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@andrew YAY! There’s still hope in the world! 😉 At least one person is not killing their characters for no reason at all. xD

I also have quirky characters… they’re the best. One is a second cousin to the MC, a skinny, greasy, young man, the other is Uncle Fred’s neighbor, a very sharp pessimistic old lady, who’s loads of fun, and the others are from … well… telling you would give stuff away. 🙂

My story overall is shaped around a single sentence that popped into my head:

The never heard of their Uncle Fred until he died and still then their Mother wouldn’t say much.

And here’s is an early attempt at a blurb I wrote up the other day:

Chris and Alice had never heard of their Great Uncle Fred until he died and still then their mother wouldn’t say much. Apparently he was rich beyond imagination and so all of their relatives gather at his old mansion on November 11th for the simple reading of the will. But the will has rules; ones that must be followed. And when one day turns into two, and two into three, the blizzards that come insure that no one can leave. Suddenly, Chris and Alice begin to receive strange notes with instructions and riddles. Who are they from? Is their Uncle really dead? And if not, why was he pretending that he was? What was going on?

Let me know what you think! (And no I don’t expect for the reveal that Uncle Fred is not dead, to be a surprise. 🙂 )

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@andrew Sorry, I don’t think I have anything to add to this conversation. 🙂 I have a very limited understanding of the technicalities of genres.

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

I love mixed genres!!!

Honeslty though, coming up with a totally new genre that no one’s written before sounds hard. I mean, almost everything under the sun has been done, just in different ways.

you’d have to find some pretty random things to throw together. Like the book Amish Vampires in Space. (Never read it, I just know it’s a thing.)

I personally like historical fiction with steampunk/scifi thrown in. As in, the Battle of Gettysburg with futuristic weapons and spy drones.

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
    No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest