fb

Lost Short Story Writer

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Lost Short Story Writer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Natalie Cone
    @nataliecone

I spent an hour pouring my heart out. It was a beautiful and heartfelt post. Then I tapped “submit”, received an error, and the entire post was lost.

The irony is amusing, in a bitter way, considering the title of this post.

I don’t have any more time to introduce myself, so I’ll just say Hi. I like writing short stories. Novels seem impossible for me. God is super-silent when I ask for help. My husband admitted he never wants to hear me talk about it again because he is confused about the subject starting with my opening sentence of our conversation. He’s a business man. He only knows how to talk about construction.

So. Nice to meet you. What’s up with you?

Peace, Love, and Pickles! ✌
    www.nataliecone.com

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@nataliecone

Hi, Natalie.  I’m Lily.  Welcome to the S.E forum!  I hope you enjoy your stay here.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I’m so sorry about your first post!  The forum has been going through some glitches lately, though hopefully it’s been smoothed out (if you’re still experiencing problems, you can tag Daeus in the support area).

Short stories are fun!  What genres do you like writing in?  If you want, you can join several groups at the same time (i.e Fantasy, romance, sci-fi, etc.)  I’ve only done two (not sure if they have a limit…?)

Anyway, how long have you been writing?  Any author or book (aside from the Bible and God) that inspired you to tell stories?

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@nataliecone

Oops, let me clarify: tag Daeus in the Guidelines and FAQ section if you need help or something isn’t working. 🙂

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@nataliecone

Hi! I’m Joy. It’s great to meet you, Natalie, and welcome to the SE community!

Aw, I’m so sorry you lost your first post. That unfortunately happens once in a while.

Can’t wait to get to know you, and if you don’t mind, I’ll start with a few questions. 🙂

1) What themes do you most enjoy incorporating into your stories?

2) What are some of your favorite books?

3) What music genres/groups/artists do you like?

4) Pineapple on pizza?

In the rain the pavement shines like silver
    All the lights are misty in the river

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

@nataliecone

Hi Natalie,

Welcome to the crew for you. We are often a misunderstood group because God calls each one of us down a unique path of gift expression. Even those closest to us won’t understand our drive and passion, because they may be gifted in other areas.  It is not about fitting in, but finding where you fit, and I think you have found the right place.

In 1 Corinthians 12, Paul breaks the idea down that each one of us, though members of the same body, have individual functions and value to serves the whole, and no part is diminished because it is not designed the same as another part.

Your creative expressions and tastes are all unique to you and they fit into a wonderful tapestry of color, waft and weave.  Celebrate your own uniqueness, because God’s Designs are never without Divine Purpose and Planned Expression.  You are a uniquely carved puzzle piece that fits.  The full design can never be appreciated without your part in it. So welcome!

We would love to hear about how God expresses Himself through your gifts, talents, and desires.  We need good short story writers. And your burgeoning gifts are celebrated and encouraged here at Story Embers.

As you have already (sadly) learned, sometimes the Form submissions do not always go through, so typically, many of us will type out response in an open Word.doc or whatever word-processing software you use local on your devices.  Then we copy it and paste it into the form, click the submit button and cross-our-fingers. If it takes, you will see the screen scroll down to the bottom, and your new entry will appear last.

Be sure and click the “Notify me” tick box, so that you can receive email responses as back-up to any replies made to one of your entries or queries.  Also, each one of us have a moniker or tag or whatever the little “alias” is called.  If you want to address one of us specifically just use an ampersand (@) followed immediately by the name tag of who you are responding to specifically.

You can also go up and highlight a section of text in a prior post on the feeds and hit the “quote” button to excerpt that text into the waiting form box below.  This helps if you want to address a specific part of a question one of us poses or comment on something someone said.

Feel free to explore the Forums. Join as many Groups as meet your tastes and fancy. You will find wonderful and mutually supportive writers hear of all stripes and backgrounds.  We are a delightfully simmering stew of ideas and creative challenges.

Some of us are new, some are published, some are hoping to be published, and some are terrified of being published and need a lot of reassurances.  But God equips those He calls, and nothing is impossible with Him, so allow for some iron sharpening and we welcome you to sharpen us.

Blessings to you and let us know if there is anything we can help you find or figure out or even pray for you about.

Clicking on any of our little picture tags takes you to our individual profiles, so you can see what we may be up to or if we have our own little sites or blogs that you would like to follow.
    I am one of the creatives that need a little dusting off, because I had set my gift aside for what I thought was a growing up period, but God brought me back around to it, reminding me of 1 Corinthians 1:27, that He uses what we tend to dismiss to great effect.

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Natalie Cone
    @nataliecone

Hi!! I’m so happy to see your comments! I’m sorry if it seemed my post was complaining … The irony in the moment wasn’t lost on me. 😆

Joy, nice to meet you! Your questions are fun ones!

1) What themes do you most enjoy incorporating into your stories?

Darkness, irony, triumph, courage, crossroads, hope

2) What are some of your favorite books?

Savvy series by Ingrid Law, Pax by Sara Pennypacker, Monstrous Devices by Damien Love, The Colossus Rises by Peter Lerangis

3) What music genres/groups/artists do you like?

I don’t even know how to describe it … 🤣 Some examples would be Butterfly Water by Pastelle, What Are We Waiting For by Ruelle, Hummingbird by Id3 & Soundmouse

4) Pineapple on pizza? Yes! Sweet, salty and tart in one delicious experience!

www.nataliecone.com

Natalie Cone
    @nataliecone

Hi!! Nice to meet you, Lily!

Short stories are definitely fun! Oddly, my short stories are all over the place regarding genre. My novel attempts are Middle Grade or the occasional YA.

What about you?

www.nataliecone.com

Natalie Cone
    @nataliecone

Brian, thanks for the helpful info and encouragement! You said, “We are often a misunderstood group because God calls each one of us down a unique path of gift expression.” This was a comfort to me, as I feel like a misfit in every atmosphere. You also said you guys needed some short story writers, which also is music to my soul, because it seems most “real” writers are novel writers (I often have a complex that short stories are nothing more than practice for the big leagues). It’s a negative mindset on my part.

I just don’t know what to do with these short stories. They’re too dark-ish for Christian markets. But I can’t seem to find magazines that they’ll fit in the secular market.

Maybe God’s silence is due to the fact that I’m asking the wrong questions. Maybe I should be asking where to put these things, rather than badgering Him for affirmation that I’m writing in the right direction.

www.nataliecone.com

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@nataliecone

Darkness, irony, triumph, courage, crossroads, hope

Those are all great themes! Triumph, courage, and hope are ones I particularly enjoy incorporating in my own stories as well. 🙂

Savvy series by Ingrid Law, Pax by Sara Pennypacker, Monstrous Devices by Damien Love, The Colossus Rises by Peter Lerangis

Must admit I’ve never heard of any of those, but I’ll have to add them to my TBR. Which is so long already. 😅

Butterfly Water by Pastelle, What Are We Waiting For by Ruelle, Hummingbird by Id3 & Soundmouse

I’ll have to look into those! I love music and am always looking for new recommendations.

Sweet, salty and tart in one delicious experience!

Awesome! I unfortunately kind of lost my love for pizza, but back when it was one of my favorite foods, pineapple was my favorite topping.

Thanks for answering my questions!

In the rain the pavement shines like silver
    All the lights are misty in the river

Brian Stansell

@nataliecone

Good morning Natalie,

It is ironic, isn’t it, that the Bible has many very dark accounts in it, yet some Christian publishers shy away from authentic darkness that emerges into hope.  In my Bible, Psalms 23 tells me that God walks with me in the “Valley of the Shadow of Death” and teaches me to “Fear no evil, for [His] rod (of protection) and [His] staff (method of drawing me back when I go astray)…comforts me.”  There are many tactful ways of covering darkness which doesn’t shirk the duty of being authentic with it, yet do not lure the readers into reveling in it, or corrupt innocence or the love of Hope and Light.

Check out some of the Articles written by the Story Embers staff under the Blog menu at the top. God calls us to be truthful about evil and all its forms, so how can one warn others about evil’s deceptions if we do not first deal honestly and truthfully with real darkness?  Seems to me that we limit God by our fears of Satan’s antics and abilities, but that is not the mindset of a warrior and overcome who knows who they are in Christ.  Jesus said that the war is over, when He declared from hanging bodily by nails on the most brutal torture device ever devised in the history of mankind, that “It is finished.”  What’s left for us is to declare within us that very same victory and take back the territory the enemy of our souls has stolen.  We are in a reclamation campaign, declaring victory and pushing back the darkness by the authority given to us by being Christ’s own family.  We are covered in Blood-bought armor, we can charge the very gates of Hell and not be defeated. We can turn the fiery darts of the enemy with this new shining shield of our Faith. We can command the very darkest of demons to vacate their strongholds because we are reclaiming those premises in the Name of Our Risen King Jesus.

We are charged and commissioned to go into the darkness and bear the Light of the Truth.  So do it. Charge the darkness. Expose the enemy’s nefarious schemes. 2 Corinthians 10:5 says to “cast down” anything that gets in the way of your campaign of reclamation. You are a warrior.  We’re not batting at butterflies here.

You wrote:

Maybe God’s silence is due to the fact that I’m asking the wrong questions. Maybe I should be asking where to put these things, rather than badgering Him for affirmation that I’m writing in the right direction.

Be careful not to limit God in the how, where, and upon what occasion He must speak.  Remember Psalms (19:1; 97:6; 50:6) says even the heavens above declare Him.  God always affirms His Truth in His Word, and Jesus is the embodiment of everything He says, but we are to study the many ways God speaks.  The Holy Spirit affirms within you what resonates with what God is revealing to you. 1 John 2:27 says you don’t even need an external teacher, if you abide in the truth of what you already know, and claim it for your own, thereby shutting down Satan’s agent’s whispering campaign against you.

Sometimes peering into the darkness and the bleakness of the sea of humanity might bring you to despair, but remember, the Titanic is sinking, and you are a spotter in one of the lifeboats.  Let God direct you to where to call attention to a drowning victim. Remember as a “spotter” you cannot also “row the lifeboat there”, but you can ask God to focus you on who in the surfeiting sea is still resisting the cold darkness and sincerely seeking. God will get the boat there, just hold up the light for them.

Short stories are not the sign of diminutive writers.  Which of Jesus’s parables was a full-length novel?  Was O. Henry (William Sydney Porter) not a success because he never crossed the 100-page mark?  Short stories are often more widely read because they ARE short and more accessible to a time-pressed audience.  You will probably be a more prolific writer than most of us who opt to crank away at the grindstone of some Magnus Opus.
    I just want to encourage you to look for the little ways God is speaking to you. Sometimes it is through a song, an overheard conversation, the brief smile of someone you pass in a store.  Look into His Word and ask Him to show you an “I love you” message.  He longs to do so.  He grieved so much over the separation of His children from Him that He personally went into a dark world to give them a chance to come back to Him.
    Romans 8:1 declares that you are under no condemnation in your walking in Him.  Satan is the condemning one. The Holy Spirit is the convicting one.  Here’s the difference.  Condemnation confines you and binds you to a charge and a feeling that brings you under bondage.  Conviction alerts you to something you should avoid and it encourages you to take positive action with regard to it.  There is Hope and a Path to resolution in conviction.  There is none in condemnation.  Succinctly put: Condemnation – Feeling vs. Conviction – Action.

James 1:17 says “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights…”
    Matthew 7:7-12 shows what kind of Father He is.  He loves you and died for you to prove it. Jeremiah 29:11 says, He has great plans for you, and not to bring you to harm.  This is the Light that pierces every darkness.  Be encouraged in His light.
    Whatever resonates with your inner spirit tuned to the new nature God has invested in you, IS Him speaking to you.  Sometimes we just need to learn to turn down the other noise that clamors for our immediate attention.  His voice is a soft melody playing in the background. Get to s quiet place, with an open heart, and you will not fail to hear it.
    God Bless!

I was born in war.

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@nataliecone

Hi Natalie!  I like your choice of themes.

Ah, I’m working on a middle-grade novel too!  What’s the premise of yours, if you don’t mind me asking? *high-fives fellow middle-grade writer*

nataliecone wrote:

“You also said you guys needed some short story writers, which also is music to my soul, because it seems most “real” writers are novel writers.”

I have to disagree 🙂 I’ve learned that ‘real’ writers include novel writing, non-fiction writing, short, long, and everywhere in between (even journalism!)  Even famous writers often start out with short stories (and still write them after they’ve written novels)  Short stories are really popular; I’ve seen a lot of people doing anthologies of short stories, as well as magazines, websites, etc.

In fact, Story Embers is accepts short story submissions (you can find their guidelines under the About menu, if you’re interested), and every year they host a short story contest (it’s over for this year, but they bring it back every spring/summer).

wrote:

“Short stories are not the sign of diminutive writers.  Which of Jesus’s parables was a full-length novel?  Was O. Henry (William Sydney Porter) not a success because he never crossed the 100-page mark?  Short stories are often more widely read because they ARE short and more accessible to a time-pressed audience.”

So true!  And sometimes what’s left unsaid can be just as powerful!  I love the punch short stories can bring.

Natalie Cone
    @nataliecone

@obrian-of-the-surface-world I’ve read your latest response three times with tear-filled eyes and I need to go through it a few more. Here’s what’s hitting me hard about your words: everything you have said in this thread DIRECTLY addresses the original post that was lost … Plus more. Several times I’ve read over my post to see if, somehow, the lost post DID, in fact, make an appearance, because I am floored at how God’s voice is so clear through your responses.

My husband’s responses to my expressions of writing anguish mimic yours in a neat, short way: “Don’t fight it. Write it.” I’ve sworn to get it printed on a t-shirt and hat one day. He insists that I should just simply write what is in my heart without apology or explanation. I, then, have no idea what to do with it once it is written, which is the perfect opportunity for the Enemy to say, “See, you didn’t do it right. It doesn’t look like the others. Real writers write novels. This is silly. You don’t have anywhere to put it because no one wants to read it.” Despite his frustration and utter confusion over writing, my husband is both a pillar and a soft place to land.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>

Sometimes peering into the darkness and the bleakness of the sea of humanity might bring you to despair, but remember, the Titanic is sinking, and you are a spotter in one of the lifeboats.  Let God direct you to where to call attention to a drowning victim. Remember as a “spotter” you cannot also “row the lifeboat there”, but you can ask God to focus you on who in the surfeiting sea is still resisting the cold darkness and sincerely seeking. God will get the boat there, just hold up the light for them.

</p>
    With beautiful irony, you have shed light on a restricting root that has slithered it’s way into the creative parts of my heart. “Never venture into the darkness for the sake of creativity. You don’t need to be acquainted with the darkness in order to know the Light.” It’s not true, though. Writing the darkness is equivalent to fighting next to someone in the trenches. It doesn’t mean I’ll lose sight of the Light … Because Christ is IN me, therefore, I am capable of being someone who holds up His light in the darkness.

There are so many more things I really want to tell you about what you’ve said and how God just used you, but I have to go. More later!

www.nataliecone.com

Natalie Cone
    @nataliecone

*high-fives fellow middle-grade writer*

High fives!! The premise of mine right now … It’s more like a short story series, which I would love to release one at a time on my website/blog. The story has androids, war, hope, heartbreak, loyalty, and a terra-formed planet. It’s been tons of fun. Tell me about yours!!

And thanks for your encouragement about short story writing still being real writing. Lol I feel like the little kid who just got picked to be on the big girl team 🤣

www.nataliecone.com

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@nataliecone

You’re always welcomed on my team!

Cool!  I have a nephew that loves sci-fi styled stories!  What’s your blog’s link?  I’d love to visit sometime!

Mine is a fantasy novel; it’s about two siblings who rescue a lost phoenix and try to keep her safe from a tyrannical king and his minion.

Brian Stansell

@nataliecone

Hi Natalie,

Just wanted to make sure we didn’t lose you out there.  If there is any help we can be to you, please let us know.

I would love to read one of your short stories if you are willing to share them.
    Let us know when and if you get a blog going so we can follow what you’re up to in your writing journey and discoveries.

Have a very blessed evening!

I was born in war.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest