Looking for laptop recommendations

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Looking for laptop recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

This is me when I bought my very first laptop several years ago:

me likey

This is me when I realized it had a few minor problems, like being unable to handle virtually any modern program (MSWord included):

...what...?

This is me deciding nothing’s perfect and that’s okay; I can deal with it:

we're cool

This is me realizing I need MSWord and several other programs my computer doesn’t support to format ebooks since I’m now on the verge of publishing:

Disgusted.

Aaaaaaand this is me when my laptop decided to start blacking out for thirty seconds every five minutes:

pain--- love it

This is me right now:

frustrated

Long story short, I need your help. Calling all writers. Tech knowledge not necessary. What laptops do you use/have experience with/love/hate/recommend and why?

Mine’s a used Dell Latitude D630. I’m wide open to any suggestions.

And… I don’t know the tags. 😛 Tag someone else if you would; that’d be super helpful. @corissa @Daeus-lamb @gabbyj @LadyIliara @sam-kowal @r-m-archer @literatureforthelight

INFP-A. If you can't be brilliant, odd will do.

RaeMarie
    @raemarie

@kate I totally understand  your problem! My laptop crashed a few months ago and I am now in the market for another one. I have searched EBay and other sites, but I just don’t understand all this tech wording! I have been using my iPad and it works pretty good. Especially now that I got a wireless keyboard for it, but I would love to have a laptop again.

INFP-T. Christ follower, music lover, a dreamer of Middle Earth..........

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@kate I think my brother got a used Mackbook Pro for around $300. I love Macs. They’re amazing. Don’t buy a new one though unless you have a lot of money. 😛

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Samuel
    @samuel

WINDOWS.

I have a Dell Inspiron. I’m not sure what number it is but it runs Windows 10 and hasn’t let me down(except for the time my little brother completely reset it XD). It is pretty much the Windows equivalent to the newer Macs (I only got it because it was too weak for my dad’s work lol). I personally find Windows easier to use than Mac, mostly because it isn’t all closed off like Apple is. For example making one computer language that can only work on their devices and can only program their devices and apps, and also pretty much destroying your OS when it gets old so you’ll buy a new one. Plus, OneNote. I LOVE OneNote.

But while I would recommend this laptop, it is also, unfortunately, quite pricey…About as much as a new Mac. Just a heads-up.

I have actually heard that Linux/Ubuntu is the best OS you can have, so you may want to look into that, but Windows is used more professionally.

No one reads these anyway

Sam Kowal
      @sam-kowal

@kate

I’m gonna tag @supermonkey42 because Ben does coding (right, Ben?) so he’s bound to know some good stuff about computers.

Other than that, I’d recommend a Windows and maybe something like an HP Spectre (although those can be pretty expensive.) There’s quite a few options for less expensive, standard Windows 10 laptops, but I’d look for Dell or HP over lesser brands (at least what I’ve been told is that those are better), and you can get something with at least a few hundred gigabytes of hard drive and 4 gigabytes of RAM for a relatively low price

*nom, nom, nom* *eats donuts*
      Oh, are you hungry? *begins weeping*
      I would have saved you one!

Inkling-for-Christ
      @inkling-for-christ

@kate,

I would TOTALY recommend a Mac book air. I got mine in 2014 and it still runs like new! I bought mine brand new[ ” want a Macintosh laptop, packaging so posh. Fits like a glove in that tiny little white box” (Toby Mac’s I want a mac daddy)] (with help from my parents) My brothers also have airs and got theirs recently but refurbished. I believe they paid about 600-700. so as far as computers go get a mac.

Im tagging a few others @briannastorm

@josiah

@gabriellepollack

@jenwriter17

@morreafirebird
      @mariposa
      @ashlyvye
      @joyofemberley

@lady-iliara

INFJ, Child of God, wannabe author, writer, dreamer, fan of DR. Who, Star Wars, NCIS-LA

Ben P
      @supermonkey42

Hey, @kate

What Sam said is pretty good. I’d say the biggest factor is what exactly are you planning on doing with it?

If you just need Word  and internet, then I’d recommend an i3 processor and 4GB of RAM.

For Photoshop or other more intensive programs, go with an i5 processor and 8GB of RAM.

Hard drive space is up to you, and I don’t recommend paying extra for fancy graphics.

Don’t worry if you don’t know what that means; it’s usually listed fairly prominently on computer websites.

If you don’t care about how thin it is or how fancy it looks, you can find something with those specs for fairly cheap.

Oh, and HP and Dell are good brands.

I hope that helps!

The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think on

Ben P
        @supermonkey42

@sam-kowal Yeah, I do coding and electrical engineering. Which means I’m looking at paying $1800 for a new laptop. 🙁 (16GB RAM, 512 GB HDD, i7 processor, fancy graphics card)

The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think on

Gabrielle Pollack
          @gabriellepollack

@kate I’ve got an HP Pavilion. It’s not too shabby. It has some nice features and can run things like photoshop. And MS word XD. It has a few glitches now, (some keyboard lights died and one of the five keys doesn’t work. I haven’t tried to fix them yet so there may be a solution) but I’m not the most careful with my stuff. I’ve had it for almost a year I believe, so I’m pretty happy with it. It’s kinda big, though.

Brianna Storm Hilvety
          @briannastorm

@kate I much prefer tablets over laptops, and I do 90% of my work (Story Embers, editing projects, graphic design, email, etc.) on a 10.5” iPad Pro. I love its portability and versatility. However, I do own an HP Pavilion laptop that I bought five years ago. It has served me well, aside from overheating once (which was my own fault since I was using it on a carpeted floor, and you’re not supposed to do that 😅). I hope to replace it with a Mac someday if I can afford it though. I hate Windows operating systems (even though that’s the only thing I’ve ever used), and I particularly detest Windows 10, which is the OS most computers have nowadays. 😝 But, if you’re just looking for a not-too-pricy computer that will allow you to use Word and Photoshop, an HP or Dell model would probably suit your needs.

Wielder of a Red Pen | TheLiteraryCrusader.

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
          @thewirelessblade

I’m actually looking for a new laptop myself.

The laptop I got now is about three years old, has been dropped 7-8 time and needs the cooling fan fixed. I think it’s time for a new one. Both for me and for you.

Things you should be looking for in a laptop:

RAM:

The RAM is part of what makes a laptop load something. If you’re looking for a gaming/writing/whatever-else-you-might-need-it-for laptop, 8 GB’s of RAM is what you’re looking for. But if not, 4 GB is a good option.

Processor:

The processor speed is also a part of load applications on a computer. If you’re like me trying to play games on my laptop, you’ll want to aim for something over 2.0 GHz. If not, try to stay over 2.0 GHz anywho, as that will help load any fancy stuff you’re using.

Hard Drive:

For writers of any kind, this one will be VERY important. The larger the hard drive, the more you can fit into your laptop, which in turn means that you can write more stories! If you’re a penny pincher, aim for about 100 GB, though you can find laptops with 500 GB easily.

Try websites like Craigslist, Ebay, Facebook (Yes, Facebook), etc… And make sure that the laptop you plan on getting isn’t old and ruined.

Good luck! – Blade

@gabriellepollack

I have an HP Pavilion too!

*Forum Signature here*

Gabrielle Pollack
          @gabriellepollack

@thewirelessblade They’re pretty grand. 🙂

Wow, thanks guys! Thanks especially @thewirelessblade— that breakdown is really useful. You’ve all been quite helpful. I really appreciate it. 😀

@raemarie
          @daeus-lamb @samuel @gabriellepollack @sam-kowal @inkling-for-christ @supermonkey42 @briannastorm

INFP-A. If you can't be brilliant, odd will do.

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
          @thewirelessblade

You’re welcome! Good luck.

*Forum Signature here*

Jenna Terese
          @jenwriter17

@kate I have a MacBook Air too and I love it! I used to use a Dell, (which was old and huge) and I have to say that the smaller screen is much easier on the eyes considering the amount of time writers spend typing 😉

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
          www.jennaterese.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest