fb

Looking for a term…

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding Looking for a term…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Michelle
    @mlbolangerauthor

In my fantasy world, it is growing apparent that at least some of the people are empathic or have empathic-like abilities.

This is consistent with the way I have built their species, and fits with their culture.

However, I have discovered that there are two types:

1) The commonly understood empath who senses and reacts/responds to the emotions and moods of others.

2) Some of the characters are able to do the opposite. They can direct or intentionally influence the moods and emotions of those around them. Kind of like the Jedi but emotions only, not in the sense of mind or thought control.

I need a name or a term for the second. Does one exist? If not, what might you suggest?

Clumsy but cute. Apologizes a lot. Doesn't shed. Much.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@mlbolangerauthor I’m not sure if there is a term for that, so I’ll tag a couple in-depth Fantasy writers who seem to know what their doing. xD

@hope-ann
     @brandon-miller @karthmin

Hopefully that helps!

Michelle
    @mlbolangerauthor

@evelyn

Thank you! Google was no help, and in all the stories I’ve read, I couldn’t remember anything like it. =)

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

The only thing I can think of is ex-pathic (opposite of empathic). Conpathic might work (to feel with).

Heartlord, investipathic…

I’m making these up. XD As far as I know, there isn’t an actual term. I could be wrong, though.

Michelle
    @mlbolangerauthor

@karthmin

I like the sound of conpathic. I think I can make that work. They would be noted as able to “influence the others to feel with them.” Yeah. I like that a lot.

I’ll credit you if it makes it past my editor. =)

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@evelyn Thank you! Google was no help, and in all the stories I’ve read, I couldn’t remember anything like it. =)

No problem! I actually searched the question on Google and then resorted to tagging peeps. xD I should have guessed you had already looked it up. 🙂

Digital dAze
    @azeline-d

1) The commonly understood empath who senses and reacts/responds to the emotions and moods of others.

2) Some of the characters are able to do the opposite. They can direct or intentionally influence the moods and emotions of those around them. Kind of like the Jedi but emotions only, not in the sense of mind or thought control.

@mlbolangerauthor
    I think both would be considered empaths, only they don’t have the same extent of empathy abilities as each other. Empaths can range from just feeling emotions to being able to project or manipulate emotions. So I think both of your types of characters would be called empaths.

The only other terms I can think of are empathy manipulator, empathy projector/caster, and pathokinetic. If you need any more help, I recommend searching “empathy” or “emotion manipulation” on the Superpower Wiki. They have a ton of terms there that may be able to help you. 🙂

INFP • digital artist • loves history, philosophy, & language (especially JP/KR/CN) • loves God

Michelle
    @mlbolangerauthor

@azeline-d

This is gold! Thank you. =) I will definitely check out the Superpower Wiki. I didn’t know such a thing existed.

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

@mlbolangerauthor Cool!

Looks like you know your stuff more than I do, @azeline-d. I think you’re right, about both types being considered empaths.  Also, I’m totally going to check out the Superpower Wiki, too! I’d never heard of it before!

Digital dAze
    @azeline-d

@mlbolangerauthor No problem! ^-^

@mlbolangerauthor
     @karthmin Haha, same! I didn’t know there was a Superpower Wiki either. I just found it a month or two ago since I was searching specifics on abilities for my characters. Research is key!

INFP • digital artist • loves history, philosophy, & language (especially JP/KR/CN) • loves God

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Research and Worldbuilding’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest