fb

Let's talk fantasy technology

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding Let's talk fantasy technology

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

@karthmin Cool. Eyes are fun. Except one can just stare into random people’s eyes for no reason. *mutters* Cultural norms.

And @kate is Darkness for her eyes but also for… other reasons. Because people who understand emotion can also write emotional pain very well. Maybe it’s a dark-eyes thing cause @daeus-lamb’s stuff tends to be heartbreaking too.

Where was this thread even at…?

Oh, Sanderson. And a certain best friend who has told me that when I come to her house we’ll go over topics we’ve been talking about she’ll show me how to do them ‘like Sanderson but better.’

Victory in the march. Hope in the destination.

*comes back with a few thoughts to add*

*blinks at the smoking mess*

I’m… just… gonna… um.

@hope-ann
    maybe we darkeyes are so good at writing pain because you lighteyes give us great experience in it. That goes for you too @karthmin. *raises eyebrows* @daeus-lamb and I are just gonna be over here in the corner planning a revolt until you people confess to your lack of superiority. *bows with icy dignity* Brightness. Brightlord.

Though really Daeus. Hag?

INFP-A. If you can't be brilliant, odd will do.

Oh, Sanderson. And a certain best friend who has told me that when I come to her house we’ll go over topics we’ve been talking about she’ll show me how to do them ‘like Sanderson but better.’

@hope-ann
    I only just realized how conceited that sounds. XD

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

@kate Only just now realizing that, yeah? XD

myths don't die

@karthmin yeah… in my defense, brightlord, I said that at ten o’ clock at night after a long lecture on the proper way to present magic systems to my poor longsuffering INTJ bestie. It was the best I could do on the mental energy of a baked potato.

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

@Kate My characters didn’t know the meaning of pain until you showed up.

And come on. Sanderson is great but there are one or two areas he’s greatly lacking, so… 😛

Quite true. *refrains from ticking them off one by one on her fingers*

And believe me, no one has more guilt over your characters than I do.

@hope-ann

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

@kate heh. Indeed. Still doesn’t stop you from making it worse for them or mentioning horrible possibilities then wailing when they somehow happen.

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

@kate If ten o’clock is excuse for mental potatohood, darkness, then we lead very different lives indeed. Although, if that came at the end of a long and mentally involved lecture, then I suppose grace can be extended.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>In addition, I probably agree with your improvements upon Sanderson. He’s by no means the be-all of magic system creators.</p>

myths don't die

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

@karthmin she tried. I suppose it’s as exhausting to try to explain a subject to someone as it is to blink at the computer and try to understand it.

*mutters* it’s honestly not fair. To be the subject of a long lecture and then when one tries to apply it to everything at once and understand, it to be told that they should just let the idea sit and simmer and grow. You ought to know you can’t leave INTJs like that by now, @kate

@hope-ann I would like to point out that I am an INFP and therefore thrive on possibilities and new ideas. Just because I say it doesn’t mean I want it… *sighs* I’m sorry darling. I try. *offers you conciliatory chocolate*

@karthmin
    anything I say after nine in the evening cannot be held against me. XD

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

*takes chocolate* meaning everything you say for the next hour and fourteen minutes can be held against you. Glad we have that straight. The rest I’ll keep for blackmail.

@hope-ann yay…

@karthmin
    I think Sanderson far surpasses most fantasy writers in his ability there, and I definitely admire his prowess in that area. But as a reader/writer/observer, there are things I can learn to do better.

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@hope-ann Haha. I like your theory.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

@kate He is very good at a specific method of using/developing magic systems, but I’m unconvinced that it’s the only way to do so, or even the best way. Personally, I don’t think I’ll ever write a story that makes use of magic systems like he does, because that’s 1. Not my strength and 2. Not (in my opinion) the most effective use of magic as a fundamental idea/component within fantasy.

myths don't die

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest