Let’s talk about representation!

Forums Fiction Themes Let’s talk about representation!

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michaela
    @mgtask

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to get your thoughts on what populations you would like to see better represented in fiction (maybe they are either 1. represented poorly/inaccurately or 2. They are never/rarely represented at all). I wanted to do a poll/vote on what types of characters writers should incorporate more, for example, here are my ideas:

Neurodiversity & psychological challenges

• Individuals who are intellectually challenged; Down Syndrome and other chromosomal variances
      • OCD, intrusive thoughts, eating disorders, Dissociative Identity Disorder/schizophrenia are not often represented, especially in Christian fiction.
      • Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)  – particularly high-functioning females of minority races. Also, hidden/unknown learning disabilities, ADHD, Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) and similar conditions.

Outward characteristics

• Obese or underweight characters (I’ve heard that overweight characters, especially, are not often represented in fiction)
      • Minority races/ethnicities: Indian, Native American, Asian, black, and Hispanic
      • Poverty. Fiction may tend to revolve around wealthy or middle-class characters.

Specifically, I also thought it would be important to represent certain populations from a Christian perspective. For example, I don’t think Christian writers should shy away from including LGBTQ+ characters and characters of other religions (e.g., Buddhism) because we can shed light on a Christian perspective of these issues.

Feel free to add your ideas. What other types of people would you like to see represented in fiction (especially Christian fiction)?

"May it be mercy I show for it is mercy I've been shown." - Written to Speak

Arindown
      @arindown

@mgtask

I think you’re totally right…writers do tend to follow stereotypes for characters. I think one of the reasons for this is because characters represent who we want to be (and everyone wants to be Aragorn😄). I think another reason is that we’re not educated with how minorities think and act…so we revert to what’s familiar.

I would totally like to see writers accurately represent people from other cultures. I feel like too often all our main characters are white, and anyone else is boxed in by stereotypes. For example, it seems that Native Americans are almost always tribes that lived on the Great Plains, lived in tepees, rode Paint horses, and spoke in broken English (“Me does not like white man”…sort of thing).

I think what you posted is important to think about. Thanks.

Live doing what you love. Die doing what you love. Do what you love for the Master.

Katja R
        @katja-r

@mgtask

Hey,

Thanks for posting this! I was actually thinking about this not to long ago and was debating on whether or not to put in a character with some of the things you mentioned. I’m glad you brought this up, it helped me consider using them a bit more.

-Katja

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try living with a mosquito.

Taylor Clogston
          @taylorclogston

@arindown @katja-r

In case you weren’t aware, there was another version of this thread which actually got attention back when it was posted: storyembers.org/forums/topic/lets-talk-about-representation-2/

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Katja R
          @katja-r

@taylorclogston

Thanks for letting us know!!

-Katja

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try living with a mosquito.

Arindown
            @arindown

@taylorclogston

Yep. Thanks for telling us.😄

Live doing what you love. Die doing what you love. Do what you love for the Master.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest