fb

Les Miserables…The Book

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Les Miserables…The Book

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@seekjustice  @samantha-pen  @jane-maree  @parker  @ericawordsmith  @wordsmith  @eden-anderson  @theresa-play  @kpcentaurssister  @scarletimmortalized  @professorsjb  @rochellaine

Have any of you ever read the actual, full-length, unabridged version of Les Mis?! As in, the 1400-pg version with all the historical detours in it?!

I printed it off online so I could read the whole thing, and just finished reading it this morning… And I have to say, it is one of THE VERY, VERY BEST books I have EVER read! It is amazing! Still shaking my head and trying not to cry. 🙂

So, anybody else who read it? And what did you think of it? Do you know how the movie compares to it?!

Happy reading of many good books to all of you!  *waves*

(Oh, and please tag anyone else who may have interest in this topic.)

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Selah CJW.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Selah CJW.

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@selah-chelyah

I just started it!!!

I have seen an old version of the movie, listened to an audio adaption, and I utterly LOVE the soundtrack of the musical!!! So I know the story fairly well…but am only now getting around to reading it.

OH MY WORD! You printed Les Mis off the web? It must have taken a year and a day to do that!!! 😮 You must be an extremely patient person…I would have just run to the library. 😛

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@selah-chelyah Yeah, I’ve read it. It’s probably in my top 20 favorites. I haven’t watched the movie, but I have seen the musical. The musical follows the storyline accurately, but due to it being a 2hr production (or something like that), it is obviously a much different experience. 😉 I rank the musical and the book as equals.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

I’m currently reading it for school. It probably gets better as it goes.

DON’t spoil anything. Please?

*Forum Signature here*

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@selah-chelyah

OH GOODNESS YES I LOVE THE BRICK!

That is what we readers of the unabridged Les Mis book call it. I so enjoyed learning about the sewers of Paris 😉 haha that was my least favorite part because I wanted to know what happened so bad. But I did enjoy the snippet on the battle!

As for the movie…I like the casting….they did an awful job with the live singing though…you can’t do that…*shudders* plus they messed up the music in the background.

Absolutely love the musical.

Favorite character(s)? Number one for me is Grantaire *heart eyes* and Joly and Jehan come in tied for second (oh the little hypochondriac and my dear poet), third being Gavroche.

“Scarlet, What are you eating?” ~ “Ghost peppers...” ~ Robin sighed.

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@selah-chelyah

Ooh, I’m actually a bit of Les Miserables collector…. I have a 1954 abridged version that I believe is a first edition… though I’m not sure. And then I also just found an unabridged special edition that I bought new a few months ago(and boy, it’s gorgeous). And I also own the musical. XD I really want to find the manga adaptation that was supposedly made, and I’ve also yet to see the movie…. though I think the musical will always remain my favorite adaptation no matter what BBC manages to churn out in the next few years with it’s new remake of the book(and not a musical, unfortunately…).

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@eden-anderson

Yes! Keep on reading, it only gets better and better!! (The ending is SO GOOD!) And make sure you tell us what you think of it! I have not seen the movie (2012) as it seems to have a few issues as far as the discretion of the actresses costumes, but I love what I have heard of the soundtrack!

As for printing it off, well, sometimes necessity and a lot of desire make things happen even if inconvenient. 😀

@daeus-lamb

Cool! Was the movie the 2012 one? The book is so amazing, for sure!

@thewirelessblade

Okay. I promise not to spoil anything.  *glances around*  *glares*  You hear that, you all on this topic? No spoiling for this persevering reader! I am sure you will be glad you read it when you get done, even if Hugo does tend to stray into long historical informational sections! 😀

@scarletimmortalized

Yep, that title does sum it up pretty well, indeed! LOL! It is SO worth getting through the historical sections, though…at least, this his-fic writer sure does think so! Those parts are really cool as well.
    I so agree, the gutters were AMAZING in that part, and yet crazy as I wanted to know what would happen SO BAD! But…I promised a certain individual we would not ruin it for him, so…  *seals lips*

And my favorite character is definitely Jean Valjean. 🙂

@sarah-inkdragon

WOE!!!! That is SO cool! How fun! What is your favorite adaption out of all the ones you have seen? And what is your favorite character? I believe that all good books are pure gold!

~ Created to create ~

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@selah-chelyah

Haha, thanks! My favorite adaptation so far is the musical, just because it’s so gorgeous–the music, the acting, the cinematography–it’s all amazing. I love it.

Hm…. favorite character… I really like Eponine, especially after I read the book and found more out about her. In the musical, Marius is probably my favorite character though. So, for the book Eponine and the musical Marius. And Gavroche in both versions, of course. *wipes tear* The musical stays pretty close to the original plot for an adaptation, but I like the little twist they put on Marius’ backstory–plus, him singing Empty Chairs & Empty Tables was SO SAD. I cry every time. XD

I’m actually pretty excited to see what the new BBC adaptation of Les Miserables will be like–it will never top the musical and book for me, but it will be interesting to watch. 😉

- C. S. Lewis

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@sarah-inkdragon

Neat! I can just identify, I think, with Valjean so much with all the difficult things he went through, and yet forgiving. All the characters are so amazing, though. Go, Victor Hugo! 🙂

BTW, I love your new profile pic! What is is from?

~ Created to create ~

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

Just FYI people, Victor Hugo is also famous for writing The Hunchback of Notre Dame, but in my opinion it was soulless and crude compared to Les Miserables. 

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@selah-chelyah

Haha yeah. Victor Hugo was a great writer….. Les Miserables is one of the only love triangles I like, in both the book and musical. So that’s saying something on it’s own, considering how much I hate love triangles usually…. XD

My profile is just a free image of a crow I used for a collage a while ago, so I had it downloaded and just decided to use it. 😉

@daeus-lamb

Hmm I’ve never read the original Hunchback of Notre Dame, but I never like the story very much anyhow so I don’t think I’m missing out on much. XD

- C. S. Lewis

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@daeus-lamb

Yeah, I could not remember if that was him who wrote that one or not. I can vaguely remember reading the very abridged version and liking it, and I want to read the full version again and see what I think.

@sarah-inkdragon

*nods head*  I am SO with you on love triangles! And yet…dare I say it…my book ended up with one. Whew! *wipes sweat off brow*  Hopefully this did not scare off some beta readers… 😀   BUT…it is highly unusual, to say the least. LOL! Anyway, how did I get off on that, anyway?…

It is great! Wings are so cool!  *visions of majestic American eagles and flags*

~ Created to create ~

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@selah-chelyah I…have not read it and I doubt I’ll ever make it through if I try. xD

I’ve been trying to read Oathbringer (Brandon Sanderson) for the last seven+ months, so I don’t have a great track record with hugely long books. 😛

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@sarah-inkdragon

I’m also a bit of a collector. I have (supposedly) the best translation, the original French musical, the original London cast, the 10th Anniversary film, the 25th Anniversary film, the Tom Hooper movie musical, and old movie that’s terrible but has actual French actors in it.

And I wrote a retelling.

I think I may have a problem.

But yes, @selah-chelyah I have read the book. And of course I loved it. I really need to read it again. My favourite character is, of course, Jean Valjean, quickly followed by Fantine and Enjolras.

The movie is brilliant, in my opinion, but movies are never as good as books, so keep that in mind 😛 ( @scarletimmortalized you didn’t like the live singing??? I actually really liked it. I can always tell when the singing isn’t done live in a musical movie and it really annoys me. The Phantom of the Opera movie being particularly terrible at syncing).

@daeus-lamb

I agree. The Hunchback of Notre Dame is horrible. I really, really hated it.

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@jane-maree

LOL! Yeah…I am still in school for a few more months though, so that helps as far as counting it towards history, etc… Great read if you ever have the time, and you might be able to find an abridged version that cuts the giant history sections. *wipes tears at the thought*

If you have the time to read it, some unlikely day… 😀

@seekjustice

That a problem? If that is a problem then I am a lunatic! 😛  Like I said, good books are pure gold, in my opinion. And yes, books are always better than the corresponding movies! Only it is rare to find someone who thinks so. *dances around the room in sheer delight*

Live singing? That is so cool!

@seekjustice
      @daeus-lamb

Yeah, I just realized I confused the book you were talking about…The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I have read it and do not like it either, and was confusing it with The Count of Monte Cristo! Oops… Alexander Dumas wrote that one. Anyway, I do not like The Hunchback of Notre Dame either!

~ Created to create ~

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest