fb

Least cliched villain type?

Forums Fiction Characters Least cliched villain type?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SilverDragon
    @silverdragon

Which would you deem least cliched:

Twin villains, acting for one goal but on separate people

Twins, one good, one bad, good trying to oust evil (plus mix-up, betrayed trust, etc.)

One villain, known to 2 people in separate settings, masquerading as a good guy to one of them.

The local invisible dapper dude who likes freaking people out by lifting his hat.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Twin villains acting for one goal.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

SilverDragon
    @silverdragon

<p style=”text-align: right;”>And what is your reasoning?</p>

The local invisible dapper dude who likes freaking people out by lifting his hat.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Technically you could make any of them un-cliche if you worked at it and twisted the cliche, but I feel like the first would be the easiest to work with.

The good-twin/evil-twin idea screamed “CLICHE” as soon as I read it. I don’t know if it’s actually been done a lot or if it’s just that kind of premise. Good vs. evil is a good theme, but it’s shown everywhere and different contrasts (e.g. freedom vs. safety) have more opportunities for creativity, I feel like. The whole brother-vs.-brother thing can be done well, but I’m kind of tired of seeing siblings at each other’s throats everywhere, personally. 😛

The one villain known two places might not be too bad, actually. (Thinking through it I’m pretty sure it was primarily personal opinion that discarded that one initially.) It’s been done before, but I think it could be twisted and done well.

Two villains acting for one goal most jumped out at me because you don’t ordinarily see villains working together (unless it’s less of a partnership and more of a servant/master deal). I’d be interested to see two villains working together, particularly siblings. (I don’t know if the twins thing carried over to that option or not.)

SilverDragon
    @silverdragon

Okay, thank you, that is very helpful. *thumbs up*

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

You’re welcome. Happy to help. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.