fb

Learning by reading

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Learning by reading

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@joelle-stone

Also, the main love interest has a point of not dating. *squeals* You don’t see that every day!

Just curious, what exactly does this mean? No recreational dating?

There really is an invisible battle going on ALL around us.

Now the question is, should we be reading and writing books about it?

@rose-colored-fancy

Okay, okay, I’ll get to the Hunger Games eventually. xD

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@noah-cochran,

Well, she was a teenager and had made a commitment not to date until she was old enough to marry. I admired that a lot. Then, afterward, she had resolved not to date any non-Christians, another thing I admired.

True. 😉

"For love is strong as death." -God

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@joelle-stone

I wondered if that what was you meant, I was hoping that was what you meant. 🙂 One of the things that I am a huge proponent of is only marrying people who share your core beliefs on religion and how to live your life. In regard to waiting to date until a certain age or maturity, I can’t agree more. I get sick of this recreational dating we’re girls talk about cute boys and vice versa. When I date/court someone, it will be with the intention of marriage. If it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out, but the goal is still marriage. I appreciate you bringing that up. 🙂

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joelle-stone

Awesome to see you here!

Ooh, I’ve heard of that one!

Likes: I went into this thinking that I’d probably end up disliking his writing style, since I’ve read a few of his other books and been a little disappointed that the plot was so great but the writing was so bad.

I think this was mostly why I haven’t seriously looked at it. I read both the Kingdom series and Knights of Arathterrae (I can’t spell that, you know what I mean)

I mean… I totally get what you mean. The writing was… eehhh. That’s the only way I can put it XD Too much telling, the pacing was off, melodrama was frequent, and the allegory in the first one wasn’t really clever or interesting. (Whenever I think of those books I think of the word “Excruciating.” XD That was the only way he ever described any wound to keep it from being too graphic and it became an inside joke XD)

However, it seems he fixed those issues! I’ll look into it, thanks for the recommendation!

@noah-cochran

Okay, okay, I’ll get to the Hunger Games eventually. xD

LOL, glad I convinced you! XD

Really enjoying y’all’s discussion, I totally agree with both of you!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Tabitha
    @tabitha

Does anyone have a Goodreads account and read a lot of fantasy? If so, I’d be interested in following you there. Here’s my profile.

I’m a huge fan of Goodreads for a couple reasons:

1) Analysis 1: I’ll often write quick reviews of books I read with just bullet points of things that stood out to me –often those thoughts come from a writer’s perspective and are a way to help me analyze the book personally. I’m not sure they are as interesting for other readers although other writers might have thoughts.

2) Analysis 2: I also really do like seeing what other people say about the books I read. Sometimes they point out a book strength or flaw that I hadn’t noticed or put a thought I had into words for me. This too helps me analyze what I read.

3) Incentive: Goodreads motivates me to read more. It’s so crazy that keeping a list or getting the sticker can be so motivating –but it is.

Also, I really enjoyed these two discussions about reading making you a better writer, so thanks everyone for contributing. I’ve been a silent follower. I appreciate the permission to write instead of read and not try to do everything while I also appreciate the encouragement to find inspiration in reading.

"Those who look to Him are radiant with joy." --Psalm 34:5

Tabitha
    @tabitha

Lightbringer Reflection (3.0 stars):

I just finished reading this series by Brent Weeks and admittedly I read it because I wanted to understand all the references to it in fantasy and Christian writing articles. It generally seemed to be promoted for its magic system (based on light and color) and being Christian fantasy.

I was disappointed.

– The magic system was really neat. It was fairly easy to understand (although there was too much infodumping in the beginning) as well as to expand upon in later books (adding some extra colors).

– Weeks did a good job of making some forgotten characters and concepts in the first book have more depth/meaning/importance in the last book.

– The multiple points of view, however, ruined the story for me. I generally liked some of the chapters written from some of the minor characters’ perspectives more than the main protagonists’ points of view. Every time I got to a chapter from a point of view that I didn’t like, I really wanted to put the book down. So I suppose a lesson for writers is not to assume that the main character’s point of view will be interesting just because he is the main character.

"Those who look to Him are radiant with joy." --Psalm 34:5

Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

@tabitha

I also have a goodreads account 🙂 I’ll follow you for sure!

If anyone is interested in following me, the link to my own account is here

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest