Karthmin Is Here

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Karthmin Is Here

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

Hey everyone!

I am so excited to be a part of this!

My alter ego, or writing name, is Karthmin Aretani. The name is taken from a half-created language that I developed for my first big fantasy project – the same project that convinced me that I was too young (in writing years, that is) to try for novels right out of the gate. I have, since that time, written a few short stories, an almost novella, and developed a few other worlds that can be mined for more novels that I’m not ready to write yet…

So. Introductions. Well, a little bit about me…

For me, writing began with reading. Growing up without movies or video games was definitely a God-send (because I’m so easily addicted!!!), and it gave me ample time and space to read. And read.

And read.

That said, I’m not the most widely read individual – definitely not as widely read as I would like to be. But books, reading, and the heart of it all – the stories themselves – have always been a very big part of my life. When I started writing at around 12 or 13, the transition from reading felt completely natural. I haven’t stopped writing since (except for forced pauses brought on by a strange illness called collegium studiumus).

All of my first stories featured talking animals, in the tradition of Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia; but as time went on and I began to be influenced more and more by Tolkien’s Middle-Earth, high fantasy took a front seat in my writing endeavors. I have tried a few other genres throughout the years, and my writing style has changed immensely since my first paltry efforts, but through it all I have continued to love writing – and nothing is more satisfying than to hear from others that I have written something well.

Over the years, as I have become more aware of the state and reputation of Christian literature (and Christian art in general) in our nation, I have wanted to do something to change that trajectory. Writing (and hopefully publishing) my own stories feels like a very small drop in the bucket of artistic revolution, but when I cast my lot with you guys here at Story Embers, I really feel like there are hands and feet here that put substance to my hopes. I’m so glad that I can be a part of what I hope is a new wave of Christian artists.

Right now I am finishing my BA in English (Spring 2019, here I come!) and trying to make sense of my life, so I am not the freest fish in the bowl when it comes to time… But that said, I’ll really try to make a consistent investment in you all here on the forums.

Inon areth athelda Ainatar (the comfort/peace and salvation of God be with you),

Karthmin

myths don't die

Parker Hankins
    @parker

Welcome, welcome, @karthmin! *showers confetti* We’re thrilled to have you here! Your introduction was very interesting and a pleasure to read. I hope for the best in your writing.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@karthmin

Woohoo! Welcome to SE!

As a writer I go by Wordsmith or The Friendly Wordsmith. At 16 I have been writing inconsistently for the past five or six years up until last year when I really picked it back up. I have my own blog (for writing stories and poetry) which I started this January.

I also dabble in music and even less in art. I enjoy most physical activities but MA, archery, and dancing are my favorites.

A BA has in English is something I am considering…  and it’s something my dad has, so it makes me happy to meet others who have one, or are working on one.

It seems like you have a great deal of writing experience and I would like to get to know you better.

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Abbey Bishop
    @a_small_mousepad

Welcome to the gang, @karthmin ! I applaud you for admitting that you aren’t quite ready to take on a novel. I honestly should try to write more short stories, but here I am stubbornly trying to write a novel (it’s not going very well). I noticed that the few short stories I attempt to write all feel like they belong to larger stories.

I’m left with this question for you: How do you write a short story that actually feels like a satisfying short story?

~a member of the great Meraki guild~

Daeus Lamb
      @daeus-lamb

@karthmin Heeeeeeeeyy. 😀 Welcome, man.

😀
      👕👍
      👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Samuel
      @samuel

@karthmin Oh my gosh! Another Emberian adult…With a full beard, no less! You’re not a dwarf, are you?

I’m Samuel, or if we’re using fake names, Daniel Barryman…Don’t ask why. I also have a friend, Mr. Owl: /OvO\ -‘hoot hoot, nice to meet yoouu’

I am a cellist, pianist, an ‘eh’ guitarist, an ‘eh’ photographer, a very ‘eh’ graphic designer, and a writer since 8 years old…Though not so much lately as I’ve been learning web development (GAAAAAHH). It’s also common knowledge that I turn into an ice dragon sometimes…

As for writing short stories, CONGRATS. I can NOT write a short story to save my life…Granted I’ve only tried like three times, but novels and short stories are whole different beasts.

Soli Deo Gloria, brother!

No one reads these anyway

Warden
        @nuetrobolt

Welcome, @karthmin. I am ______(Secret Identity) and this is my dragon Vip. As you can see he’s tiny, he’s blue, he’s annoying *Ouch! Sorry, Vip, I didn’t mean it!* and he doesn’t help me with my writing, like he should, even though he is named after the great writing Way Dragon (who wasn’t that great). I almost wrote a novel (I was very near the end of the first draft), but the plot made no sense, and I didn’t enjoy writing it, so I quit it and now I am working on a new novel, this time with some more knowledge on writing.

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

Martin Detwiler
        @karthmin

Thank you everyone!

@parker
        *is showered in confetti* Love the spirit, but it always gets stuck in my… oh wait, I don’t have hair XD Thank you for your well-wishes. 🙂

@wordsmith
        That’s so awesome that you’ve begun to pick up writing in earnest over the past year and took the dive into having a blog as well! I had a blog for a few years during high school as well (don’t have it anymore, though). It’s a fun journey, and I wish you well.

I like most sports a lot as well, and I’m intrigued at what kind of dancing you like… I’m a fan of square dancing and the like.

I wouldn’t say that I have a TON of writing experience, but what I have I hope to share – swords sharpening swords, right?

@a_small_mousepad
        Thank you for the applauding, but I must confess that my tendency is to take the path of least resistance; so my retreat to short stories is not wholly humility!
        Short stories aren’t for everyone, so if you can’t write them, no harm done. 🙂 To be honest, I generally run into the same problem… my stories grow bigger with a mind of their own.

Writing short stories that feel like they are a part of something larger isn’t necessarily a problem! If the story is not satisfying all by itself and the themes don’t resolve in a neat bow, then you might have an issue, but a lot of my short stories end up connecting themselves, one way or another, to larger story-universes that I have created. And I think that’s a great thing. The best feeling you can give a reader at the end of your story (short or long) is a sense of completion and satisfaction, and yet a burning desire for more. One of the best examples that I can think of for this is the end of The Last Battle in Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia. I still remember one time in particular when I finished the last page and was just so mad at Lewis that he hadn’t written more stories…

I was satisfied with the story that he told; but I was so in love with the world and the characters, and he created such a sense of continuance and future that I wanted to be there, to peek through the curtain and see what happened after the last page.

Unlike what the big-business money-minded approach to storytelling would have you believe, leaving your audience with that feeling of wanting more is not always a green light for Part Two. It is often a good thing in and of itself. It’s not that there is more story that needs to be told, but that there is more that could be told.

How do you do this? Simplicity. In short stories especially, every word, scene, character, and piece of punctuation has to count. To help with this, I try to keep a very simple cast of characters, one main theme, and a relatively simple plot-line. My settings are not often described very much, and one of the main drivers of the story’s action is dialogue. If a worldbuilding detail slips into the story, it has to be serving a bigger purpose (character development, plot detail, foreshadowing etc.).

So yeah. It’s my opinion that short stories rely on simplicity for their big, satisfying punch.

@daeus-lamb
        Heeey! Thanks, brother. 🙂

@samuel
        Yes! I am a fully-grown (unfortunately) fully human adult. No dwarf. But I have hairy feet, so I like to think there’s some hobbit blood in me somewhere… XD

Nice to meet you. 🙂 And your owl. *to Mr. Owl* Hooo do you dooo?

You seem to be far more musical than I… I enjoy singing, and that’s about all I have any talent for.

@nuetrobolt
        *bows low* Pleased to meet you. I hope Vip learns to behave and help you out like a good dragon should.

I’m glad to see that you didn’t give up after your first attempt! Keep plugging away at writing, and you will continue to see improvement. It really is an exciting journey. 🙂

From your signature, I’m guessing that you have read The Wingfeather Saga? That is one of my favorite series of all time!

myths don't die

Buddy J.
        @wordsmith

@karthmin

Thanks! It is a blast!

And as to what dancing I do: my preference is what we call Contra Dancing some call it country… but you might have heard of The Virginia Reel… it represents this kind of dancing. I do know a little ballroom, and even a little line dance (which is not my favorite). I have never done Square Dancing but would love to. My older brother did Square Dancing and it improved just about every aspect of his other dancing.

If you would like to read my blog (at least some of it), I would love some feedback. If you decide to do that just put your comments under each story… I trust you will stay constructive 🙂

Also please excuse any ads you see there… WordPress is super annoying with where they place the ads, and I don’t have the money to pay.

And last but not least I am happy to give constructive feedback on other people’s writing (in this case yours), though over this next week or two I’m pretty booked. But please don’t let that keep you from coming to me.

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Warden
        @nuetrobolt

@karthmin He’s learning.

Yes, I am seeing improvement in my writing.

Yes, I have read Wingfeather, and it isn’t just one of my all time favorites, it is my all time favorite! My name is also based off that saga.

The rest of my signature is from 100 Cupboards and A Series of Unfortunate Events (kind of).

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

Martin Detwiler
        @karthmin

@wordsmith I also enjoy contra dancing! It sounds like we have very similar taste in dancing styles. Have you ever tried swing? It’s a little more difficult, but the few times I’ve done it I have always had a lot of fun. 🙂

I will try to check out your blog. 🙂 And if I comment, I’ll be sure to be constructive.

Thank you so much for the offer to give feedback on my writing. I am not actively writing anything at present, but I appreciate that you made yourself available.

@nuetrobolt
        Aha! Throne Warden! I wondered why that phrase sounded so familiar! Honestly, I put Peterson next to CS Lewis in my favorite author list. He’s almost my all-time favorite author. Have you read any of the books that Andrew Peterson’s brother has written? I enjoyed them as well.

myths don't die

Buddy J.
        @wordsmith

@karthmin

Yes I have! I guess I forgot to mention that. I know a little swing, but wish I could learn far more. Right now though I don’t have many resources for that, unless you know any good online places (other than Youtube).

Thank you!

My pleasure!

Martin Detwiler
        @karthmin

Practice is the best place I know of, to be honest…

myths don't die

Buddy J.
        @wordsmith

Okay, thank you! 🙂

storyjoy
        @storyjoy

Well, hello there! I already knew you were on here, but it was still neat to find this forum and read through your introduction. xD 😀

Also, congrats on getting second place in the story contest! I’m excited to read your entry! 😀

*wonders if and hopes you will recognize me, otherwise it could be a little awkward and embarrassing on my part XD*

*cartwheels out*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest