fb

I’ve come back!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself I’ve come back!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Holly Knight
    @hollyknight22

Hey Writers!

I decided it was time to come back to the Story Embers forum to reconnect a little before the Plot Summit happens later this month. *high five to everyone who is signed up* 🙂

Anyway, I’m Holly! I’m a storyteller who loves Jesus, mini chocolate chips, reading fiction, color palettes, and listening to music. I am also a freelance graphic designer and harpist. When I’m not engrossed in the latest read or planning my novel in my head, I design graphics for theReb, book covers for writer friends, study graphic design and filmmaking, or doing stuff with my family.

Looking forward to getting better acquainted with this updated version of the Forum and with all you amazing folks!

Erynne
    @erynne

@hollyknight22

Welcome back!! My name is Erynne.  I’m an INFJ, a violinist, a baker, an artist, and a writer. Here’s some questions for you:

What kind of music do you play/ listen to? 

What kind of books do you enjoy reading and writing? 

Do you have a current WIP? 

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@hollyknight22

Hi, and welcome back! I’m Rose, nice to meet you!

I’m a harpist too! Do you play the Celtic or the pedal harp? How long have you been playing and what’s your favorite kind of music to play?

I’ve been playing the Celtic harp for six years, and I love playing folk music, especially South-American, Irish, and Scottish music.

I dabble in graphics design, on occasion. Just enough that I cringe whenever I see Comic Sans or Papyrus. XD And that I analyze the choice of font on anything and everything.

I spend most of my free time writing, daydreaming, drawing, and listening to music.

I’m editing my first novel and am halfway through drafting the second. Hopefully, it’ll be a trilogy, because my MC didn’t agree with my original, stand-alone outline. She’s just like that. XD

What are your favorite books?

If you could visit any fictional world for one day, where would you go?

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Holly Knight
    @hollyknight22

@erynne Hi Erynne! Nice to meet you!

My mom is an INFJ so that’s cool that you are too! (I’m an ENFP.)

How long have you been playing violin? I started my music journey out on the violin before doing piano and harp.

Tell me about your writing journey and current WIP!

I play lots of music, most pretty harpy songs that are classical, hymn arrangements or original songs. I love to listen to soundtracks though! HTTYD and Narnia are my favorites! 😍

I enjoy reading and writing YA contemporary adventure.

I’ve got two projects in the works. One is a modernized, Nutcracker retelling and the other is a contemporary adventure novel.

Holly Knight
    @hollyknight22

@rose-colored-fancy

Hi Rose, it’s nice to meet a fellow harpist! (I also have a sister named Rosalie that we sometimes call Rose. 🙂 )

I play a Lyon & Healy Pedal harp and love it! I’ve been playing for 12 years and my favorite music to play is anything pretty and flowy. 😉 There are just some songs that are meant for the harp alone (my mom calls them “harpy songs”) and those are generally what I love to play the most. Ooh, I would love some suggestions of Scottish harp music if you would be willing to recommend some!

Oh yes, Comic Sans is so cringy. But I’ve heard that it has helped some writers to write faster using that font. XD

What do you like to draw? What music do you most enjoy listening to?

Congrats on your progress with your novels! Keep up the good work!

My favorite books are… *rolls out looonnngg scroll* Okay we’ll keep it to the top favorites! 😉 I love The Nutcracker Sonata by Heather Dixon Wallwork, The Electrical Menagerie by Mollie E. Reeder, The Heist Society series and the Gallagher Girl series by Allie Carter, The Boy Colonel by John J. Horn, Dust by Kara Swanson and Shadow also by Kara Swanson, The Tales of Tarsurella series and The Regal Heart series by Livy Lynn Jarmusch, The Tradewind series by Taylor Bennet, and The Weaver Trilogy by Lindsay Franklin. I have a thing for series, in case you didn’t notice. 😉

Oohh, I love this question! I would go to Narnia, hands down! I’ve always felt that it was the perfect fictional world and I would feel right at home. What about you?

Erynne
    @erynne

@hollyknight22

I’ve been playing violin since January, and I’m doing pretty well (my teacher might say otherwise though) I’m just stuck on those awful staccato notes! I played piano for about three years, and that’s super cool that you play the harp. It’s such a beautiful instrument! I’m wanting to try my hand at guitar as well, but idk if that will actually happen.

I started writing I guess about two years ago (I can’t believe it’s been that long) I started out just writing short stories for school, but I was really serious about it. What was supposed to be a two paragraphed story, was a two paged story in the end XD I started one book in the summer of 2019 then I quit in the middle of it to start my current WIP, an adventurous fantasy. It’s about a princess who gets given a cursed necklace and once she puts it on, she can never take it off or else it will kill her. It does end up getting stolen and her friends have to go on this journey to find it (well, technically just the jewels from it) before she dies. I’d love to hear more about your novel!!

That’s really cool! I’m planning on learning hymns and soundtracks to my favorite musicals! 😀 What’s your favorite hymn? Also, what’s HTTYD?

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Author M
    @author-m

Hi Holly!   I’m Molly.  Don’t know if you remember me from Noble Novels?….  Well, anyway, nice to connect with you again! 😀

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Author M.
    Zee
    @zee

Welcome back, @hollyknight22! Actually, I don’t think I was here when you were a regular before, so…nice to meet you!

I have a sister who plays the harp. Such a beautiful instrument!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@hollyknight22

I play a Lyon & Healy Pedal harp and love it! I’ve been playing for 12 years and my favorite music to play is anything pretty and flowy. There are just some songs that are meant for the harp alone (my mom calls them “harpy songs”) and those are generally what I love to play the most.

I totally get what you mean! My harp teacher divides songs into categories of ‘harpiness’, ‘skippyness’, and ‘yeah, you’re not going to like this, but you need to practice it anyway.’ The harpy ones are often full of arpeggios and so many glissandos that my fingers hurt when I think of them XD Most of Ortiz’ songs come to mind XD

Ooh, I would love some suggestions of Scottish harp music if you would be willing to recommend some!

Hmm, I haven’t played any in quite a while. I do have another book lying around that I haven’t started on yet that has a lot of English, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish songs. It’s called “Classical tunes part 2” by Ank van Campen. I have no idea whether it’s available in America, though.

Oh yes, Comic Sans is so cringy. But I’ve heard that it has helped some writers to write faster using that font. XD

I’m one of them XD It’s kind of crazy, but it literally makes me write twice as fast! It’s one of the most readable fonts, oddly enough. The irregularity of the letters makes it easier to read, even though it makes it an ugly font. I also heard a theory that the font is so ugly it makes you type faster so you can change it out, but I’m fairly certain that isn’t scientific XD I change it to a civilized font as soon as I’m done, though XD

What do you like to draw?

I mostly draw the characters from my WIP. It helps me get a clearer image of them, and I’ve gotten really attached to them. XD I’ve drawn my MC, Liorah, fourteen times. I draw characters almost exclusively. My favorite medium is digital, but I enjoy traditional too, though I’m not as good at that XD

Do you draw?

What music do you most enjoy listening to?

Hmm, how am I going to summarize all of that? XD My favorites are For King& Country, Casting Crowns, TobyMac, Lindsey Stirling, and Britt Nicole. I also like soundtracks from movies and musicals. How about you? What are your favorites?

Can you believe I’ve never heard of any of those books? Shame upon me! XD A bunch of them are on my TBR list now, though! XD

My top favorites are:

The Red Ribbon, by Lucy Adlington.

This book. It’s plain brilliant, honestly. I usually don’t read slower-paced books, I prefer action-adventure, but the pacing on this one was so spot-on I was never bored.

The tone is downright impressive. I’ve seldom read a book where I’d say the tone was my favorite thing, but it was. The setting is bleak and depressing since it’s set in Auswitch, but the tone was so beautifully sweet and hopeful without glossing over how awful it was.

The characters and plot are splendid, and that’s also where I took my username from, Rose was definitely one of my favorite characters.

The False Prince/ The Ascendance series. By Jennifer Nielsen.

I love all of her books, but these are my favorites. The characters are fun, deep, and memorable. The plots are intriguing and well-thought-out, with plenty of twists and excitement. Her historical novels, (Especially ‘Resistance’) are also really good! Her books are marketed as middle-grade, but the content is more YA.

The Letter for the King by Tonke Dragt.

This is a really popular Dutch book, but it’s so underrated in the rest of the world. The translation is actually excellent 😉 If you’ve seen or heard of the Netflix series, don’t judge it too quickly. As far as I’ve heard, Netflix completely messed up the plot, characters, and world in some sort of attempt to ‘modernize’ it. (It was written in the sixties.)

The world is really memorable, and the characters are fun and deep. The themes are well-worked out, far more than most. The villain is amazing, especially in the second book “The Secrets of the Wild Wood”. That’s the only villain who actually convinced me that he was right, just for a second.

The second book is even better than the first. The characters keep developing and show entirely new sides.

Okay, I’ll stop now, but I could rant about these books forever XD

Oohh, I love this question! I would go to Narnia, hands down! I’ve always felt that it was the perfect fictional world and I would feel right at home. What about you?

Hmm, I’d love to go to the Kingdom of Unauwen, (From Letter for the King) or I’d love to visit Russia in the Wolf Wilder or Paris and London in the Rooftoppers. (Not really fantasy worlds, but they feel like it XD.) Both books are by Katherine Rundell, and they’re both spectacular.

Congrats on your progress with your novels! Keep up the good work!

Oh, thank you!

What’s your current WIP about? What’s your favorite part of writing it?

My current WIP is about the princess of a desert tribe, Liorah. Her older brother is captured by an enemy tribe at his coronation and she has to work to rescue him and prevent a war. My favorite part of writing it is definitely Liorah! She’s delightfully sassy and spunky.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Rose.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

e.c.colton
    @e-c-colton

Holly!! So nice to see you on here! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest