fb

Is this okay?

Forums Fiction Characters Is this okay?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

Is it a problem if all of my main characters are having some of the same struggles throughout the story?

After digging a little into my protagonist and the theme of my current project, I quickly began to see that the things my protagonist struggles with are things that in some way or another would also effect my other main characters too. Is that a good thing? Is the theme supposed to carry through to all your characters? Or are all my squad characters too samey to be having the same issues?

@please-help-me

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

This is in fact called “having a coherent theme” and is generally a good idea =P I mean, without actually reading your story I guess we can’t know for sure (if every character’s exact problem is “I want to become a professional ballerina but my dad hates ballerinas” you might want some more variety, but if every character’s problem is “I want to become my own person but a person I respect wants to hold me back” you’re good to go) but generally this is what you should be aiming for.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@taylorclogston Phew! This is my first writing project, so I am a little clueless right now. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. 😉

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@the-fledgling-artist

My two male protagonists have very different backstories, but similar struggles like yours do, and they work out just fine. I’d suggest trying to make sure that their stories are not exactly the same–and their reactions to trials and questions are not the same–for example, while one of my MC’s would remain optimistic, hold his family close, and try to cheer everyone up after a defeat in battle, the other would isolate himself and try and find a way to blame himself so no one else has to suffer. So while they have almost the same struggles–they’re both considered monsters in their cultures, are cast out, and forced to run from their own people, as well as they both hold a power that they are hated for but don’t want–they are still very different people. Get what I mean?

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

valtmy
    @valtmy

@the-fledgling-artist

I agree that that is a sign of having a coherent theme and you just need to be careful to make sure that there’s variety in your characters’ struggles. Though the root of the characters’ struggles may be similar, have the difficulty present itself in different ways and have each character react differently according to their personalities and develop in varying ways (e.g. maybe one has a positive change arc while another has a negative change arc).

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@valtmy  @sarah-inkdragon
    Thanks guys. I’ll  keep that in mind! 🙂 Making sure that their struggles effect them each in different ways is something I’ll try to work on.

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

Yeah, because even if they’ve got the same backstory and the same struggles, they’re still different people, and different people react in different ways based on personality and things like that. 😉

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest