fb

Is there such a thing as a "generic plot" ?

Forums Fiction Plotting Is there such a thing as a "generic plot" ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

I’ve been working on the writing side of producing a comic, and I keep feeling like my story will be too generic. Is it possible to have a story that is too generic? Or is it just a matter of putting more “meat on your bones” so to speak. I feel like my characters are fairly interesting (at the very least they are to me) but I’m concerned the overall plot is falling short of being .. well, good. Is it normal to feel this way in the early stages of plotting? Or do I have a serious problem on my hands?
    Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Parker Hankins
    @parker

@the-fledgling-artist, I think a lot of writers feel like that at first. I have with all three of my books. But as I wrote, it got better.

This probably isn’t helpful but yeah.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@the-fledgling-artist, I think it is common to have it start out that way, and progress with a lot of interesting details as you go along. I do not know what genre you are writing in, but I find that the more research I do about everything related to my plotline, the easier it gets to fill in the cracks… and that is what makes it so interesting!

When you start out, like you said you did, with interesting characters, it is fun and easy to fill the rest in as you research and ideas start coming to you.

Not sure if this makes sense or is helpful, but it definitely works with all the writing I have done. Just be careful you do not blow your brain up with too many ideas to put in your story! “_

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@parker phew, thanks! Maybe there is still hope for this project yet. 😀

@selah-chelyah
    It’s a fantasy, so at first I wasn’t sure how much research I could actually do, but now that you got me thinking about it there totally is. I can look more into how stories are supposed to flow, and all the parts that come together for a good plot, and I can research the themes I want to explore in the Bible! Thanks. I think research might be exactly what I need to get more ideas sparking.

Parker Hankins
    @parker

Yeah, just keep going. It’ll get somewhere!!

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

Thanks parker!

Parker Hankins
    @parker

My pleasure!

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@the-fledgling-artist, superb! Great job!

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

I think there can be such a thing. If you’re copying someone else’s plot, then yeah, its generic because it’s the same plot, just under a different name.

Just be original and you might be able to get away with some generic stuff. A lot of great stories share the same factors (LoRT, Star Wars and Harry Potter. But you know that already)

*Forum Signature here*

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@thewirelessblade Hey, thanks for your input. 🙂 Your answer does bring up a few questions though.
    So if there is a danger of being generic, what exactly makes something generic? And what can be done to avoid it? While I don’t have any plans to completely copy other works, I do feel it’s somewhat unavoidable to not include elements of various works. I know not everyone agrees, but personally I feel no idea comes out of nothing, but was inspired or built off previous ideas.

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

@the-fledgling-artist

In order to know if something is generic, we need to first know what the word means. We live in the Internet age, so that’s not hard to figure out.

Generic adv: a characteristic relating to a class or group of things; not specific.

Okay, maybe “generic” isn’t the right word. Fantasy is a class or group. So is Sci-Fi and stuff like that. The noun “generic” is probably what you’re looking for.

A consumer product having no brand name or registered trademark.

You’ve probably had a generic product before. Same thing, different name.

*Forum Signature here*

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

Pauses to let you talk

*Forum Signature here*

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@thewirelessblade Okay, so generic isn’t even the word I should have used. I think what I meant by generic was something like, unoriginal, unexciting, predictable, .. overall not good.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest