fb

Is the climax too late to add 3 new characters?

Forums Fiction Characters Is the climax too late to add 3 new characters?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    AnneTheStorynerdGirl
    @annethestorynerdgirl

Okay, this probably a crazy question… but hear me out. πŸ˜‰

In the climax of my novel I need three new side characters to show up just as backupΒ and for fulfilling a story element. Two of them were introduced as mere bystanders a little bit earlier in the story and would also be the main characters of a possible sequel. None of the three new characters play a huge role in the climax (except for generally being more soldiers thus helping turn the tide of the battle), and I only want them to show up because of a really important theme in the novel of being able to call these special ‘backup people’. (That sounds really dumb, but I’m trying not to give too much away. XD)

SO my question is… do you think that adding three new characters in the climax, even though very minor ones, will weaken my story? Confuse my readers? Mix up the climax?

Collector of real-life stories. Chocolate enthusiast. Narnian.

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@annethestorynerdgirl Maybe if you really focused in on the fact that they can be considered back up people? I’m thinking if we view them more as elements of the theme than individual people that have their own stories, then maybe it won’t seem like a big deal that they got thrown into the story at the last moment.

πŸ˜€
    πŸ‘•πŸ‘
    πŸ‘– 🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

AnneTheStorynerdGirl
    @annethestorynerdgirl

@daeus-lamb

Thank you! That’s really helpful. Glad it’s not a total writing no-no, but something I can work with as long as I do it well. πŸ™‚

WarrenLuther04
    @warrenluther04

@annethestorynerdgirl I’m not an expert like @daeus-lamb is, but I don’t think that it would be too bad. I introduced a side character at the end of the story once because she was important in getting people somewhere (I’m trying not to spoil my story! 😐 πŸ™‚ ). I don’t think it will confuse readers too much, and if you are still considering having them be possible MCs for a sequel you should definitely add them in. If you just have random MCs for a sequel it would be even more confusing! (Backup people doesn’t sound dumb by the way! πŸ™‚ )

But this is by no means professional writing advice. I am nowhere near being as good of an advice-giver as Daeus or Josiah would be. πŸ™‚ Make of this what you will. πŸ™‚

House Vizsla, Clan Avis
    Member of the Alliance to Restore the Republic, Phoenix Squadron
    ENFJ-T

AnneTheStorynerdGirl
    @annethestorynerdgirl

@warrenluther04

Yay! Thanks bunches for your thoughts!! (haha Totally understand about trying not to give spoilers, it get’s hard! Now I’m curious… XD)

Okay, cool! Yeah I’mΒ hoping to have a sequel with those two as the main characters. Personally, I love it when there are clues and characters in the first book that are fleshed out in the sequel, but I wasn’t sure if I should try to do it differently somehow.

Thanks again for your helpful feedback!

WarrenLuther04
    @warrenluther04

@annethestorynerdgirl No problem! (Yup. πŸ˜€ Well, *pauses* you’ll be able to find out soon!)

That would be awesome! That is a good strategy in writing, at least in my opinion.

No problem! πŸ™‚

House Vizsla, Clan Avis
    Member of the Alliance to Restore the Republic, Phoenix Squadron
    ENFJ-T

AnneTheStorynerdGirl
    @annethestorynerdgirl

@warrenluther04

(Oooh does that mean you are publishing??!!)

Cool! That’s probably what I’ll end up doing! πŸ˜€

#replyinginperenthesistosomethingthatwasinparenthesisiscool πŸ˜›

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@annethestorynerdgirl, Here are my thoughts.

You don’t want what is called “deus ex machina”, which is sudden/random intervention from someone or something, that has no background in the story, or if it does have background you want the reader to be able to go ‘Ohhh! I see it! That was so cool!’ not “Wait… How did that happen?” I’m not saying you are doing this (in fact is sounds like you are not) but it’s something you want to avoid.

If you are planning a sequel, sometimes pulling side characters to the spotlight can be a great way to go because you are connecting dots, from another perspective, and it gives the reader something to look forward to. You don’t want the two characters to be random, never heard of, you want them to be there all along (not necessarily in the spotlight), flickering in and out of the shadows. Think of it like you’re giving glimpses of the “gift” all through out the story, and in the climax out reveal. Does that make sense?

@daeus-lamb
    , that doesn’t go against anything you’d say does it?

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@annethestorynerdgirl Β @wordsmith

I agree with you, wordsmith. You really want your reader to understand what’s happening.

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@nuetrobolt @annethestorynerdgirl

What ever you do, think about whether or not that plot twist would interest the reader. In many ways thinking about the reader should come before making sure your plot is fulfilled.

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Samuel
    @samuel

@annethestorynerdgirl

I agree with Daeus, it shouldn’t be a big deal as long as it’s actually understood that they aren’t important, but if you want them to be important it’s probably too late. However you could introduce some sliver of back story somewhere, I think, to make the reader wonder about the character, and potentially write an alternate plot line or story about that specific character or something if you think they’re worth it. If not you should probably just not flesh them out.

No one reads these anyway

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.