fb

Introducing an MC through a third person

Forums Fiction Characters Introducing an MC through a third person

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tess
    @thetessinator

I’m thinking of introducing the MC to my comic through someone else’s eyes – is this a bad idea? Does your MC’s introduction have to be from their POV?

I'm an ENFP - fluent in English, jokes, confusing art teminology, MBTI, and maniacal screaming.

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@thetessinator

I read a lot of manga(Japanese comics) and most characters are either introduced A.) through 1st person narrative, B.) third person view, or C.) circumstances.

I personally prefer either 3rd person/circumstances, as I like seeing the character from another’s eyes first before meeting them. This might be odd, but it can tell a lot about a person. For example:

Jill is an ordinary girl in high school, with lots of friends, a nice car, and good looks. She’s popular. One day, she’s walking to school when she bumps into Will(our MC). Will immediately apologizes, stammering, and offers her a hand up, but Jill snaps at him and refuses help, then prances away with her nose in the air, leaving Will to be laughed at by her peers.

What do we learn? First off, use a side character or love interest to introduce your main character. Or even the antagonist. But don’t just create a random person that is never spoken of again.

Second, we now have a guess of Will’s social status in the school, and his personality–shy, and not very good with people.

Thirdly, if you’re going to introduce a character using a different person’s POV, make sure and play on those feelings. Jill obviously feels disgusted and embarrassed to be around Will. Why is that? Don’t let it go. Explain later, if not then, why she feels that way. I just a read a great fan-fiction that was amazing in all points, but the author suggested a few things and never picked up on them. The book was great, the characters amazing, the story and world-building epic, but the writer forgot to add just a few scenes, that in my opinion, would have made the story even better. For example, the MC of the story had been on a ship once when it had blown up. He survived, but when he told his uncle, all he got was, “well, I’m glad you’re okay. Did you save the crew?”

So he came off feeling that the crew’s lives were more important than his own, which reeked havoc on his already bad self-esteem issues. Then, the author had a third character find out about this event, and tell the uncle he was going tell MC that his life was at least as important as the (mutinous)crew’s. But then the chapter ended, and we never got our little angst scene.

So if you’re going to show your MC through another’s eyes, don’t forget to confront the other character’s feelings about the MC. Don’t let anything go.

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Tess
    @thetessinator

@sarah-inkdragon THANK YOU SO MUCH. This was so in-depth and useful! <3 I think I am going to go with the 3rd person introduction 🙂 Will let you know how it works out!

I'm an ENFP - fluent in English, jokes, confusing art teminology, MBTI, and maniacal screaming.

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@thetessinator

No problem! Ya, totally let me know what happens with your comic. You should start a comic thread where we can post comics and stuff…

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest