fb

Introduce Your Story

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Introduce Your Story

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@rose-colored-fancy

LOL, blame Liorah! I planned to make it a standalone, but Liorah refused to cooperate (as usual) and I had to change more than half of the book.

XD! Liorah’s more trouble than I initially thought! 😛

XD, Thanks! My first draft of my first book was 72k, but I have way, way too many filler scenes, and I skipped over a bunch of important ones, so I have no idea how long the first book will be. I’m planning the second for about 100k first draft.

Ooo, that’s a great goal!

LOL, I’m putting them in the character castle next. Those are the closest adjectives I could find, and I think they match pretty well. Here’s a snippet of dialogue that really summarizes their personalities:

LOL, that was so funny!! I love their personalities! I love to mix lots of different personalities, because it always manages to keep things interesting.

Thanks! My villain definitely needs development XD I have a bunch of villains, actually, and I can’t pick which should be the main one. In a way, almost everyone in the story is an antagonist, at some point or another.

That’s actually really awesome! I have my main villain, his raiders, and two surprising antagonists, but one dies, like, after one or two chapters, so I’m still trying to contrive some more.

I’m actually trying to shove the idea away for now. I’m already working on two projects at once and trying to plan the third book, but now I keep getting ideas for the Victorian book. XD I’ll just be going about my business, doing chores or whatever, and without any warning, “What if her father was a lighthouse keeper?” or “You know what would be cool? A masquerade ball.”

Ah, YES!!! Welcome to my world!! But, actually, that brings up a question I wanted to ask y’all (tagging @EVERYBODY): when do you come up with your best ideas? For me, its either while I’m actually writing, or when I’m exercising or vacuming. Yes, I’m weird, but vacuming is a great way to gain inspiration.

Plus, this entire idea gives me an excuse to go down the rabbit hole of piracy, corsets, Victorian etiquette, and the history of masquerades. Always fun XD

This is somewhat irrelevant, but I once named one of my snails Layfayette after the French pirate.

As for your character’s arc, hmmm . . . the positive one does seem stronger, but dystopian is always cool. I seriously don’t know! I think, however, that maybe I’d choose the positive arc because it might cause more friction within the character. I don’t have much experience with arcs, so somebody else probably has better advice. 😉

@skylarynn

THAT IS HYSTERICAL! Especially Threepio, XD That story has got to be awesome, and the animals you chose are perfect 😀

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Erynne
    @erynne

@wingiby-iggiby

To answer your question…

when do you come up with your best ideas? For me, its either while I’m actually writing, or when I’m exercising or vacuming.

This is really weird (I’m going to put you vacuuming to shame *evil grin*)  but when I’m really deep in thought about writing or literally anything, I pace. I literally make laps through our kitchen. (I literally use the word ‘literally’ literally way too much) Sooo, yeah. I just pace mainly. I’m in my own little world when I pace. I also just sit on my bed when I’m supposed to be going to sleep and think. If I overthink a certain scene in my story I don’t tend to come up with any ideas, but if I just let my mind wonder into literally (oh dear…) my little fantasy world, I come up with a ton of stuff.

"There are no mistakes, only happy accidents."
    -Bob Ross

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@arindown

A flat character arc is when the character starts out already knowing the Truth and sticking to that belief despite trouble and testing and changing the world around them. Katniss Everdeen is a really good example. She already knows “society should be based on trust rather than fear”, and spends the trilogy changing the world around her.

A positive character arc is when the character believes a Lie, then gradually accepts the opposite Truth. They have to change, instead of the world around them.

Hope this summarized it a bit XD

@wingiby-iggiby

XD! Liorah’s more trouble than I initially thought! ‘

You have no idea XD Liorah says “haha, nope. I’m doing this instead,” almost every time I write. XD

LOL, that was so funny!! I love their personalities! I love to mix lots of different personalities, because it always manages to keep things interesting.

Thank you! I love it too, they literally came to me mostly developed in one flash. I love it when that happens XD I totally agree on mixing personalities! Nothing’s more boring than characters who might as well be named ‘sidekick 1’, ‘mentor’, and ‘love interest.’ Or even worse ‘sidekick 1’, ‘sidekick 1, but female’ and ‘sidekick1, but blonde’ XD

I also really like it when ‘good guy’ characters are antagonists to the protagonist or if the good guys have strongly differing opinions about stuff. That’s always fun!

That’s actually really awesome! I have my main villain, his raiders, and two surprising antagonists, but one dies, like, after one or two chapters, so I’m still trying to contrive some more.

Surprising antagonists are the best! I love those! I have the opposite problem of “everyone’s an antagonist! trust no one!” XD

when do you come up with your best ideas? For me, its either while I’m actually writing, or when I’m exercising or vacuming. Yes, I’m weird, but vacuming is a great way to gain inspiration.

Hmm, good question! I’ve had really good ideas before drifting off to sleep, and cleaning is excellent for that too! Sometimes when I’m writing, I improvise something I didn’t expect and that leads to even more stuff. I love it when that happens! I’ll usually be absently thinking about my characters at any given time.

This is somewhat irrelevant, but I once named one of my snails Layfayette after the French pirate.

That’s the best name! We had a big rooster named Nelson, after Horatio Nelson.

As for your character’s arc, hmmm . . . the positive one does seem stronger, but dystopian is always cool. I seriously don’t know! I think, however, that maybe I’d choose the positive arc because it might cause more friction within the character. I don’t have much experience with arcs, so somebody else probably has better advice.

Thanks! I’m kind of leaning in that direction too.

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

*pops in to say that pacing is a great way to come up with stories, especially when you are struck with sudden inspiration and have a sister standing right behind you for you to pick up, twirl around, and hug so tight they can’t breathe, especially since you get amazing looks afterward*

"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"

Erynne
    @erynne

@joelle-stone

Lol, I’m glad I’m not the only pacer around here XD Sadly though, I don’t have a sister so I can’t hug them to death when I come up with writing ideas… I feel like doing that though instead I jump and dance around and have a very girlie moment of smiling and making very weird noises… lol

-Bob Ross

Lona
    @lonathecat

@erynne

To me, the dwarfs, or whatever you want to call them, are just very southern

Ah that’s great! Southern Dwarves. I love it! XD

Though, I get what you mean about coming up with stuff before you have more of an idea of what you’re doing. It ends up needing a lot of modifying. At least for me it does. Maybe I’m just too unorganized to come up with stuff that doesn’t need edits.

Do you have any unique things about your dwarves?

Let’s see… They hate heights, and they’re pretty sarcastic. They can come across as hostile to strangers, but within their own communities they all take care of each other. 🙂

Erynne
    @erynne

@lonathecat

Ah that’s great! Southern Dwarves. I love it! XD

Thankyou 😁

Though, I get what you mean about coming up with stuff before you have more of an idea of what you’re doing. It ends up needing a lot of modifying. At least for me it does. Maybe I’m just too unorganized to come up with stuff that doesn’t need edits.

Yeah, same for me. My entire story is going to need some serious editing. Rough drafts are always the worst but it probably would’ve been so much better if I had known what I was doing, lol.

Let’s see… They hate heights, and they’re pretty sarcastic. They can come across as hostile to strangers, but within their own communities they all take care of each other.

Aw, that’s cool! Sarcastic characters are so fun to write about. At least for me because I’m super sarcastic XD Mine have that southern attitude, obviously, but there’s two dwarves, Tara and Earl and they are always arguing and it’s kinda funny (in my opinion) They are my favorites.

Are your dwarves MCs? And which one is your favorite and why? If I’m asking too many questions let me know. I just like hearing about other people’s stories 🙂

-Bob Ross

Lona
    @lonathecat

@erynne

Rough drafts are always the worst but it probably would’ve been so much better if I had known what I was doing, lol.

I couldn’t agree more. Though I suppose it’s a learn as you go type of thing. So, maybe we couldn’t have known everything at the beginning anyways. XD

At least for me because I’m super sarcastic XD

Same. It’s fun lol.

Mine have that southern attitude, obviously, but there’s two dwarves, Tara and Earl and they are always arguing and it’s kinda funny (in my opinion) They are my favorites.

Aw! They sound so huggable. Are Tara and Earl husband and wife, siblings, or just friends or something else?

Are your dwarves MCs?

Oh no, haha. They’re just another race that trades with my main character’s race. I haven’t named any of the dwarves, just developed their culture a little since they have influence on the countries they trade with. What race/species are most of your MCs?

If I’m asking too many questions let me know. I just like hearing about other people’s stories.

You’re good! It’s quite fun talking with you! 😀

Erynne
    @erynne

@lonathecat

So, maybe we couldn’t have known everything at the beginning anyways. XD

Very true.

Aw! They sound so huggable. Are Tara and Earl husband and wife, siblings, or just friends or something else?

I’m glad you think so!! They probably are the most lovable creatures in my story.

You know, I haven’t really thought about that much… I guess just friends. That might change later on but for now they can just be friends who bug each other like crazy. (I’m the writer yet I sound so clueless XD)

Oh no, haha. They’re just another race that trades with my main character’s race. I haven’t named any of the dwarves, just developed their culture a little since they have influence on the countries they trade with.

Oh, I see. That sounds cool! Mine aren’t MCs either they’re only in like one or two chapters, but if they weren’t in the story it would be quite complicated.

What race/species are most of your MCs?

Human 😁

I know, a complete fantasy and all you get is them boring humans.

What about yours?

You’re good! It’s quite fun talking with you!I

Aw, I’m glad you think so! Same to you 😉

-Bob Ross

Lona
    @lonathecat

@erynne

I guess just friends. That might change later on but for now they can just be friends who bug each other like crazy. (I’m the writer yet I sound so clueless XD)

Nice! I love how the closer friends are, the more they act like siblings. Also known as managing to bug each other each other 24/7 but still taking bullets for the other person. XD

(And haha, I get that. There are certain aspects in our books that we can talk on and on about and then there are the other details that we routinely forget exist. 😛 )

Mine aren’t MCs either they’re only in like one or two chapters, but if they weren’t in the story it would be quite complicated.

It’s a puzzle, isn’t it? lol.

Do you have a favorite of your MCs? Your comment about Tara and Earl made me think of it because a favorite of mine is actually a side character that comes up for only a couple chapters. Though, for some reason I still came up with his whole lifestory and everything. He’s honestly more developed than some of my MCs. It’s a problem. XD

I know, a complete fantasy and all you get is them boring humans.

Humans can be great! You, for example, are a very nice and interesting human. 😀

Your humans would just need good personalities to make up for their normalness in a fantasy world.

What about yours?

I think around half of them are human and then the other half are a race I made up called Illians. They look exactly the same as humans but they have the ability to heal things. On the down side, they are super analytical and have a hard time feeling emotion. Most of the time they are just set on “fixing” things.

Same to you

Aw! Thank you! 😀

Erynne
    @erynne

(And haha, I get that. There are certain aspects in our books that we can talk on and on about and then there are the other details that we routinely forget exist. 😛 )

Exactly. That has not been good for me though. There have been countless times that I forget about a part of my story then in a later chapter write something that completely ruins that first part. I know I’m rambling so here’s an example… We’ve been talking about Tara. I completely forgot about her and then named a mermaid Zara 😂 I will definitely have to change that.

It’s a puzzle, isn’t it? lol.

One that I’m still trying to solve XD

Do you have a favorite of your MCs?

Hm… I can’t necessarily say I have a favorite, but of my MCs Julian is probably my favorite. He’s the most sarcastic of my characters, therefore he’s my favorite.

a favorite of mine is actually a side character that comes up for only a couple chapters. Though, for some reason I still came up with his whole lifestory and everything. He’s honestly more developed than some of my MCs. It’s a problem. XD

Cool! You’ll have to tell me about him 😉 Oh and I have that problem too. I planned out my favorite characters’ (the pirates) lifestory and 95% doesn’t get mentioned in the story XD

Humans can be great! You, for example, are a very nice and interesting human.

Well thank you! You are a very sweet human. If you were to ever talk to my friends (which you may have, two are on SE) they would definitely agree that “interesting” is a good word to describe me!

Your humans would just need good personalities to make up for their normalness in a fantasy world

That’s one of the biggest things I struggle with for sure. I reread my entire story a little bit ago and most of my MCs seem like they could be the same person because they have the same personality.

I think around half of them are human and then the other half are a race I made up called Illians. They look exactly the same as humans but they have the ability to heal things. On the down side, they are super analytical and have a hard time feeling emotion. Most of the time they are just set on “fixing” things.

That is super cool!! And I love that name you gave them.

-Bob Ross

Lona
    @lonathecat

@erynne

There have been countless times that I forget about a part of my story then in a later chapter write something that completely ruins that first part. I know I’m rambling so here’s an example… We’ve been talking about Tara. I completely forgot about her and then named a mermaid Zara   I will definitely have to change that.

Oh no! I hate when that happens. Zara seems like a good mermaid name though. Do you have any ideas for other names for her yet?

He’s the most sarcastic of my characters, therefore he’s my favorite.

Makes prefect sense lol. What is Julian’s backstory?

You’ll have to tell me about him

Well if you insist… XD A shortened version is his name is Offo and he grew up best friends with his sister, who was born blind. When they were older, his sister died in a fire, and he was never able to get over it. So, he moved into the mountains and became a hermit. In his little cottage, he works on building an automaton that he named after his sister. And yep. 🙂

I planned out my favorite characters’ (the pirates) lifestory and 95% doesn’t get mentioned in the story XD

Aw, that’s sad. Maybe they can have their own separate book of pirate adventures. 😀

Well thank you! You are a very sweet human.

You’re welcome! And thank you!

I reread my entire story a little bit ago and most of my MCs seem like they could be the same person because they have the same personality.

Hm, yeah that is hard. The same thing happens to me sometimes; you’re not alone, at least! 😛

What personality do they all tend to lean towards?

That is super cool!! And I love that name you gave them.

Thanks! 🙂

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@erynne

Pacing is NOT weird!!! In fact, y’know, in like all movies when someone’s thinking, they’re pacing. I think it probably helps stimulate you, and I’ve found that I like to walk in circles until I’m dizzy when I’m reading a poem or reciting memory verses. Also, I use “like” way too often, ha ha, so I get the “literally” thing. 😉 And YES! When I overthink something, it doesn’t ever turn up half as good if I don’t.

@rose-colored-fancy

Thank you! I love it too, they literally came to me mostly developed in one flash. I love it when that happens XD I totally agree on mixing personalities! Nothing’s more boring than characters who might as well be named ‘sidekick 1’, ‘mentor’, and ‘love interest.’ Or even worse ‘sidekick 1’, ‘sidekick 1, but female’ and ‘sidekick1, but blonde’ XD

Exactly! I hate it when that happens in stories: side characters that do nothing to enhance the plot except to be there! Interesting characters make the world so much more vivid and real. That is why two girls, an old woman, a cowboy, and a lizard man are all teaming up in my book! Yay for chaos! 😛

I also really like it when ‘good guy’ characters are antagonists to the protagonist or if the good guys have strongly differing opinions about stuff. That’s always fun!

Yes! It certainly serves to make things so much more interesting!!

Hmm, good question! I’ve had really good ideas before drifting off to sleep, and cleaning is excellent for that too! Sometimes when I’m writing, I improvise something I didn’t expect and that leads to even more stuff. I love it when that happens! I’ll usually be absently thinking about my characters at any given time.

Ah, yes! Same! I am constantly being called out of “character development world,” XD

That’s the best name! We had a big rooster named Nelson, after Horatio Nelson.

Ha, that’s awesome!

Thanks! I’m kind of leaning in that direction too.

Anytime! 😉

@joelle-stone

Sisters are the best. Period.

Oh, and @lonathecat, Offo’s story sounds so sad! 🙁

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Erynne
    @erynne

@lonathecat

Oh no! I hate when that happens. Zara seems like a good mermaid name though. Do you have any ideas for other names for her yet?

I know! And Tara is a good southern dwarf name so I can’t decide which one to change.

No, I haven’t. But that won’t be hard. I just look up baby names or unique baby names or baby boy/ girl names or baby names that start with the letter_ or-you get the idea.

Makes prefect sense lol. What is Julian’s backstory?

I’m glad you agree lol. You know, he doesn’t really have a backstory. His part doesn’t really require one. All that really gets mentioned is that he can’t cook and his mom always takes the bones out of fish when she makes it (it’s a long story)

Offo sounds super cool, but his backstory is incredibly sad. It would probably make me cry because I’m weird and cry over everything including books.

Aw, that’s sad. Maybe they can have their own separate book of pirate adventures.

My 11 year old cousin has already decided that I’m making a series with this book and the next one is going to be the pirates revenge 😂

Hm, yeah that is hard. The same thing happens to me sometimes; you’re not alone, at least! 😛

What personality do they all tend to lean towards?

That makes me feel better 🙂

Sarcastic and funny. Surprised?

-Bob Ross

Erynne
    @erynne

@wingiby-iggiby

I agree with you 100,001%. And not just because you were backing everything I said 🙂 I was literally (here we go again) saying “yep, yep, yep” the entire time I was reading your post lol. I use ‘like’ a ton too so I’m glad my ‘literally’s don’t annoy you XD

-Bob Ross

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 122 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest