fb

Introduce Your Story

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Introduce Your Story

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Lona
    @lonathecat

@erynne

Lol, I kinda wanted to but I didn’t.

Probably for the better. XD

Ok, neat! I have dwarves and a dragon in my story too! (Actually at the moment their elves, but when people think of elves most people picture the ones like on LOTR and that’s not how these are so I’ve been thinking about changing their title to either dwarves or maybe even garden gnomes)

Nice! And haha yes I can understand the name changing thing. My dwarves are typically grumpy but loveable lumberjacks…which is not quite your LoTR questing-treasure-hunters-that-save-the -world-dwarves lol. What do your dwarves look like?

I had to give Finn, Julian, and Lacey some struggles (the pirates hold them captive as slaves) but it’s not too bad. They are a ton of fun to write about though!

Oh, ok. That makes sense. 🙂

@skylarynn

Nice! Melting pots are great. 🙂

Ella
    @writergirl101

@erynne

Thanks so much!! ❤

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@skylarynn,

Cool pics and great plot idea (yaaaasss, Brendin)!

@zee

*annoyed sigh* RIGHT?! It’s so hard to find people like that online. Which is why I like silhouettes. 🙂 And she agreed to be my illustrator, but she’s getting so bogged down and stuff I’m thinking of telling her she doesn’t have to illustrate for me. She’s the kind of person who doesn’t like to say no (like me, ha ha). But yeah!

@writergirl101

Ooh, nice idea too! And I love the collage. 😀

"For love is strong as death." -God

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@skylarynn Wow. That world-building…🤩 I love it.

How do you work out having all those different religions? I haven’t really messed around with other religions too much. I think at this point I really have something like Old Testament Judaism and then Atheism, but yours sound really cool.

@writergirl101

Hey there! Nice to see you again.

I don’t even have words for how amazing your WIP sounds. Futuristic/SciFi, with family relationships, and sacrifice…😍😍

Not all those who wander are lost.

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

@arindown

I look a lot into older cultures and their beliefs and usually match them to the correlating culture in my work, sometimes adding bits and pieces of other cultures too.  Ones I’ve made so far:

An Abrahamic religion that is mostly Christian but has traditions and other bits and pieces from Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Romani beliefs – this is the main religion of Kitharin, the nomads in the Natrada, and most of the Eya people.

The above religion mixed with Celtic practices and beliefs in a culture that has almost entirely turned Christian (their former gods were rewritten into saints and they worship God through admiring his creation (nature) instead of worshipping nature directly) – this is the main religion of the Keltigaels and many Keltaics that live either off the mainland or on close borders with the Natrada.  There are still some pagan holdouts in the Keltigaels though.

Basically the old Celtic religions – former religion of the Keltigaels and some Keltaics still carry the traditions.

Essentially the Old Norse religion with some influence from Germanic peoples as well given the similarities of many myths – this is the former religion of the Nors people of Tyggr-höfn, as most have converted to a branch of the Celtic Christianity of the Keltigaels, most notably the Oberjarl Thrand and his family.  There are still a great many holdouts among the Nors.

A legendarium of old heroes of similar stories to Beowulf (without the Christian backdrop) – this is less a religion and more the cultural belief of the Northmen

@joelle-stone
    this was Brendin’s beliefs

And then less Atheism and more the belief that humans are superior to everything, mythical/magical or not – the belief of the Arian empire, who were not the most pleasant.

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Brooke
    @wingiby-iggiby

Hi y’all! I’ve been absent from the forum for a little bit, but I decided to make a reappearance! 😉 I saw this topic and thought, hmmm, this would probably be a good place to test my new fantasy idea on before I decide I’m not going to write it actually.

So, here is my blurb/synopsis/whatever! Btw, all of y’all’s stories sound amazing, and I’m blown away by all of the creativity and unique ideas!

Chaha Milan’s life was difficult and dangerous, as were all lives in the Katishi mountains. But it was home, it was what she knew, and it was what she loved and cherished with all her heart, even though she didn’t know it yet. Even going on the deadly path to school with her four younger siblings was something she would learn to miss — because when the Bagha-Pagala’s (Tiger-Madman) raiders threatened the village of Paepaw, they had to leave the beloved mountain jungles and flee to Euron, where the forests were decidious and the land quite flat and the people as odd as could be.

But even then, they were not safe. They thought they had outrun and outwitted the Bagha-Pagala, but any who tried only tried in vain. His raiders came in many forms and many vices, and soon Chaha found herself alone with her dying sister, Ihina, and an old but brilliant woman on an impossible mission: to find and kill the silver tiger of the somber moon to heal Ihina. Perhaps, with the help of a rogue Cheparo-Purusaharu (lizard-man), a moody cowboy, and the hardy sherpas, they will find their quarry.

But the Bagha-Pagala longs for healing as well, and he is beyond the reach of mercy.

I know, “The Tiger-Madman” is super lame 😛  So that’s why I translated it into Nepali via Google translator, LOL, and was pleasantly surprised. This story’s a bit cliched, but I’m trying to weave some original things into it. Hopefully it’ll work, ha ha.

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@wingiby-iggiby,

Yay, you’re back! And your story sounds SO AWESOME I would totally read it. 😀 (Tiger-madman is NOT lame.)

"For love is strong as death." -God

Brooke
    @wingiby-iggiby

@joelle-stone

Aw, thanks a million (‘specially ’bout the Tiger-Madman, LOL)! I’m glad you’d read it, ’cause why’d I bother writin’ somethin’ nobody’d read?

^Ok, that’s how I actually talk in real life, LOL. Do you? I’ve noticed I tend to cut words short and add contractions, and now I’m eager to incorporate that into my writing more, ha ha.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@wingiby-iggiby
    Hi Wingiby! So awesome to see you here again!
    I love that story idea! I’d totally read it! I like how you have a sort of jungle-ish setting, that would be so cool to read about!

^Ok, that’s how I actually talk in real life, LOL. Do you? I’ve noticed I tend to cut words short and add contractions, and now I’m eager to incorporate that into my writing more, ha ha.

I like it! It’s somehow exactly how I imagined you speaking XD

Here is my current WIP blurb!
    The current title is “The Tribe of Sand and Azure” and it’s the first part of a trilogy. I finished drafting this and I’m currently rewriting it (Because I had no idea what I was doing and it was awful XD)

Seven tribes live in harmony in the deserts of Yerasht, or so it seems. A powerful tribe waits for an opportunity to rule the land unchallenged.
    When the newly crowned king of the Lehabim is captured in an unexpected attack, impulsive princess Liorah must find a way to save her brother.
    With the aid of her friends, bubbly Sahar and cynical Acyn, Liorah must rescue her brother before it is too late. If she fails, all she holds dear is lost. The enemy, Hakan, ruler of the Kezbes, will stop at nothing to destroy her family and her tribe.
    Liorah becomes entwined in a war bigger and more dangerous than she bargained for. Not everyone is to be trusted and nothing is as it seems in the deserts and cities of Yerasht.

I’m also drafting the second book, and I’m about 50k words in on it, about halfway.

I also have a faint, distant idea that keeps bugging me and I’m sort of thinking it over. Here’s what I have so far.
    The setting is Victorian-inspired, and it might be loosely based on Venice. (Not sure about that yet…)

The theme will probably be ‘identity vs. acceptance’ As in, should you give up your identity to be accepted?

The main character is a seamstress and an immigrant. Sometime before the start of the story, her country had some sort of crisis, (nope, haven’t worked that out yet.) and a lot of people left. This naturally led to some distrust toward them in the countries they immigrated to. (To get an idea of that, think of all the Irish and European people that immigrated to America, and the consequences.)

So it’s much harder for her to find work and she has to lie and pretend to be something she’s not if she wants to help her family. The first plot point is that she lies her way into a job, but then gets found out. She’s offered a job as a seamstress by a mysterious lady, who later turns out to be not quite what she seems. I’ll stop there, to prevent spoilers. (Also, that’s basically the end of the idea. XD) So, I only have the setting and the setup.

I have a faint idea that there’ll be pirates and a parrot that conjugates Latin verbs, but that’s still an idea in progress XD

I’d really appreciate any feedback!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@skylarynn Those religions sound fascinating.🤩 I am so bad at coming up with different belief systems for fantasy…mostly because I’ve never tried, and because I struggle with relating to characters who have Christ-less worldviews. It feels so empty.

@wingiby-iggiby
    Goodness gravy! I wouldn’t say that was cliché at all, it actually sounds amazing. Also, that was a really good blurb, now I really want to know more about Cheparo-Purusaharu, the old woman, and Bagha-Pagala (villains with backstory are the BEST). Do you have a picture collage or aesthetic for it yet?😄

@rose-colored-fancy
    I really like the Seamstress idea. It sounds really cool.

I find that when I come up with an idea and then get stuck, I’ll work on my main character (mostly focusing on character arc) and sometimes that will get me further along.

Brooke
    @wingiby-iggiby

@rose-colored-fancy

Hi Wingiby! So awesome to see you here again!
    I love that story idea! I’d totally read it! I like how you have a sort of jungle-ish setting, that would be so cool to read about!

Howdy! And thanks! I really liked the jungle idea too; in fact, the idea came about after I and my family watched a video about Nepal’s sherpas on YouTube (its actually pretty sad 🙁 ) and an episode of the documentary series “The Most Dangerous Ways to School” on Nepal. Wow, is all I can say, and it was inspiring 😀

I like it! It’s somehow exactly how I imagined you speaking XD

Ha ha, really? That’s so funny, LOL! I think that when I speak, I’m trying to get all I want to say in and as fast as I can, XD

And a trilogy, wow! I wish you the best of luck and endurance! I have no clue how you guys stick something through long enough to get 50k and such! Also, I loved this description: “bubbly Sahar and cynical Acyn.”

And oooo, that next idea sounds so intriguing! I’ve never thought of something like that. Also, you’d better include that parrot.

And to add my own advice to Arindown’s (that’s a really good idea, actually, to work on your main first. I tend to leave them till last bc main characters are scary, XD), I usually do the villain first. No, I do not like writing people’s downfalls just to torment them, I just like coming up with a whole bunch of bad things that made them turn evil. That was basically an oxymoron, but ok.

@arindown

Goodness gravy! I wouldn’t say that was cliché at all, it actually sounds amazing. Also, that was a really good blurb, now I really want to know more about Cheparo-Purusaharu, the old woman, and Bagha-Pagala (villains with backstory are the BEST). Do you have a picture collage or aesthetic for it yet?😄

Aw, thanks! I’m still working all my characters out, but if you want to hear more about them, I can share more when I do! 😉 And YES!!! You cannot have a good bad guy without the backstory. But no, I don’t have a collage. I’d like to try making one, though, and I think I will . . . but I do think the theme for this tale would be unselfishness, redemption, faith, and loss.

Erynne
    @erynne

@lonathecat

Probably for the better. XD

Yep XD

What do your dwarves look like?

Honestly, I don’t really know. When I wrote about them I was still really…. inexperienced? in writing so I didn’t really construct my characters well (like not at all XD) All of those characters I plan on improving when I edit it. To me, the dwarfs, or whatever you want to call them, are just very southern like so they’ll probably dress that way as well. Do you have any unique things about your dwarves?

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

And a trilogy, wow! I wish you the best of luck and endurance! I have no clue how you guys stick something through long enough to get 50k and such!

LOL, blame Liorah! I planned to make it a standalone, but Liorah refused to cooperate (as usual) and I had to change more than half of the book.

XD, Thanks! My first draft of my first book was 72k, but I have way, way too many filler scenes, and I skipped over a bunch of important ones, so I have no idea how long the first book will be. I’m planning the second for about 100k first draft.

Also, I loved this description: “bubbly Sahar and cynical Acyn.”

LOL, I’m putting them in the character castle next. Those are the closest adjectives I could find, and I think they match pretty well. Here’s a snippet of dialogue that really summarizes their personalities:

To my right, Sahar tugged a reluctant Acyn onto the dance floor. I caught snatches of their conversation.

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you. I’m going to trip and break someone’s leg,” Acyn said,

“You promised. We talked about iambic pentameters and dactylic hexameters, now we dance,” Sahar said, brightly.

“Promises are merely the chains wherewith we bind ourselves,” Acyn said, darkly.

Sahar is a ray of sunshine and Acyn is permanently gloomy. It’s sooo much fun to write, especially when combined with Liorah, the queen of sass.

And oooo, that next idea sounds so intriguing! I’ve never thought of something like that. Also, you’d better include that parrot.

Thank you! I definitely need to add the parrot XD

And to add my own advice to Arindown’s (that’s a really good idea, actually, to work on your main first. I tend to leave them till last bc main characters are scary, XD), I usually do the villain first. No, I do not like writing people’s downfalls just to torment them, I just like coming up with a whole bunch of bad things that made them turn evil. That was basically an oxymoron, but ok.

Thanks! My villain definitely needs development XD I have a bunch of villains, actually, and I can’t pick which should be the main one. In a way, almost everyone in the story is an antagonist, at some point or another.

I’m actually trying to shove the idea away for now. I’m already working on two projects at once and trying to plan the third book, but now I keep getting ideas for the Victorian book. XD I’ll just be going about my business, doing chores or whatever, and without any warning, “What if her father was a lighthouse keeper?” or “You know what would be cool? A masquerade ball.” 

Plus, this entire idea gives me an excuse to go down the rabbit hole of piracy, corsets, Victorian etiquette, and the history of masquerades. Always fun XD

@arindown

I really like the Seamstress idea. It sounds really cool.

I find that when I come up with an idea and then get stuck, I’ll work on my main character (mostly focusing on character arc) and sometimes that will get me further along.

Thank you so much! I’m kind of stuck on the character arc, actually. I can’t decide between a flat arc or a positive one. I think the flat might work better with the theme, but positive might be stronger? I actually have no idea.

The positive arc would be that MC would be rejecting a part of her identity and constantly pretending to be someone else to be accepted, then gradually learn to accept herself.

The flat arc would be more that she already accepts her identity, but is forced by society to conform and resents it.

I really don’t know. The flat arc would definitely make it more dystopian, in a way, though.

Any advice, anyone?

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

So in my adaptation of Star Wars to an arabian nights-esque story, some changes have been made to characters.

Specifically:
    Chewbacca is now a camel named Balveer
    C-3P0 is now a human slave named Ekavir (enslaved because of his criminal record as a con man)
    R2-D2 is a courier cat named Nakul
    And BB-8 is a roadrunner courier named Jeet

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Skylarynn.

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@rose-colored-fancy

Any advice, anyone?

Can you remind me what a flat character arc is again?😆 I feel like I have an opinion on this, but I can’t remember enough specifics to know.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 122 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest